Premium

Country

UK

Device

(Samsung S9)

Operating System

(Android 10)

My Question or Issue

I just changed phone from S8/Android 9 to an S9/Android 10 and haven't managed to open and use Spotify since! I install the app then clicl on it the Spotify app appears to open with the logo becoming large and then crashes immediately so that I don't even see the login page. I have tried all types of fixes like deleting cache/data, reinstalling, factory re-setting, changed SD card, signed out of everywhere...and still nothing. This is very frustrating - is this a bug with Android 10 perhaps? Any help much appreciated as I am paying for a service I can't use (and without my music!).

Many thanks

Andy110

65 Replies

New Spotify version today but still dead. Earlier i plugged the S9 to computer and manually deleted som leftover folders from uninstall. No help.... 

Changed my phone to S20, Spotify works there. Gave up after 10th response from the support. This time they asked to remove SD card and reboot the phone even I tried to unmount the SD card before.

Changing the phone sadly probably the easiest fix. Wonder why Samsung/Android/Spotify won't/can't fix this issue? It's a common brand and model. Relatively modern and new model. Unfortunately my S9 is company owned and not yet up for change.

Same here...

Yet another update today, but somebeody else is getting all the goodies. Bad, bad Spotify.

Same problem: S9 SM-G960F, android 10. I NEED MY TUNES BACK! I´m very close to switching to Deezer.

FUN FACT:
Spotify Kids works fine on my S9+ with Android 10.

HUAWEI P smart Z -  Android 9
Same problem for a week or 2... 😕

Haha...had to try Spotify kids, yes it works. Will suck on that lollipop for the moment;-)

Too bad: ... 'Not available in your country' 😞

I received a Samsung update (Android 10, Kernal Version 4.9.118-18847185) today and it's still not working with the latest update from Spotify (8.5.72.800)
It's been over two months again.... ;( 

Same story here. Several updates to Spotify and even one to Android during the last month or so. Just ridiculous....

Hey there @NisseN01 ,

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

The ongoing issue we had is solved now so if you're still experience issues we recommend you to do a clean reinstall.

We also recommend you to check out this page and follow the steps that's provided. 

Keep us posted. We're always on reply away.

Cheers!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I retried rebooting, reinstalling, clearing cache, deleting all files on my
SD card, resetting my phone, updating Android and updating Spotify.
I now tried a clean install again as you suggested
Still nothing.
A lot of people have this issue with a mainstream phone. I hope this gets
the necessary attention.

Hi!

Sorry to say but I have tried all of these advices and startup behaves the same: the spotify icon appears on a black screen and then it dies. No other app have ever behaved like this. Perhaps somebody at Spotify and Samsung should organize a little workshop regarding this? 😶

EDIT: and this issue has persisted for almost half a year for me, since an Android update in late spring.

Hey @pieter314,

Thank you for the post.

Could you confirm if you followed these steps that were provided in the reply above?

We're looking forward to your reply.

Cheers!

Hi, 
unfortunately the issue is still present. Either a fresh installation of Spotify nor the tip with the battery settings worked for me. 
Any other suggestions? 

Deezer solves my problem.

Hey @drese_89,

Thanks for posting and for the troubleshooting you did so far. 

If you've tried a clean reinstall and the steps here, it's a good idea to turn off Adaptive battery altogether. You can see it on the screenshots in the latter page. We also suggest to make sure that Spotify has all necessary permissions and is excluded from all types of battery optimization:
1. Mobile Settings> Apps> Spotify> Permissions. Allow everything you see there.
2. Mobile settings> Apps> Spotify> Battery> Optimize battery usage> select top All (not optimized for apps)> Spotify> disable.
3. Last step - restart the phone.

Note: Menu order may differ on different devices.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Sorry to say but this did not help. I followed step by step as written.

Suggested posts