Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes immediately on S9 Android 10

Spotify crashes immediately on S9 Android 10

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

(Samsung S9)

Operating System

(Android 10)

My Question or Issue

I just changed phone from S8/Android 9 to an S9/Android 10 and haven't managed to open and use Spotify since! I install the app then clicl on it the Spotify app appears to open with the logo becoming large and then crashes immediately so that I don't even see the login page. I have tried all types of fixes like deleting cache/data, reinstalling, factory re-setting, changed SD card, signed out of everywhere...and still nothing. This is very frustrating - is this a bug with Android 10 perhaps? Any help much appreciated as I am paying for a service I can't use (and without my music!).

Many thanks

Andy110

65 Replies

Hey there @NisseN01,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Just to confirm - is this happening across multiple devices or only on your S9? If you could log in with a friend or family members account and let us know if you can replicate the issue, this would help us out a lot in trying to find the root cause of the problem.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I use the Windows Spotify app on two computers. Works well but naturally not very mobile solutions. In fact I started to use those due to the inability of the S9.

Unfortunetly I'm in same situation with my Galaxy S9. Any cache wipe, turning off battery optimalisation or reinstaling spotify doesn't solve my problem.

My phone is acctualy after factory reset, before that everything worked fine.

Hey @NisseN01,

Thanks for sharing the result on your desktop devices.

Could you also give it a go with another account on your smartphone? if you don't have the option to use a friend or family members, you can create a free one here. We'd really appreciate it if you could post a video of what you see at your end when you try and start the app on your smartphone. These troubleshooting steps allow us to narrow down the possibilities of what may be causing this. 

@zawiasam we're sorry to hear that you're also unable to use the app as intended. Could you make sure that that your Android version is up to date with the latest release? It's possible that the factory reset reverted it to an earlier version and that's reason you're experiencing this. Could you also test it out on another device and let us know if everything works well there?

If you have any questions, we're only a reply away 🙂

Mihail Moderator

Unfortunately app doesn't even show login form. I don't have the problem on other devices tv or desktop computer. 

Video in attachment. 

Your systems doesn't allow mp4 🙂

https://youtu.be/z-AwkNY7l7k 

Hey @zawiasam,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

If you're using an SD card, we'd suggest to remove it, reinstall the app and then try running the app without the SD. You can also give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall.

It's also a good idea to close any other apps you’re not using, if they are running in the background.

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator

I do not use SDcard, only internal storage. I've reinstalled app according to instructions but it didn't solved the problem 😞
But I know where probably is the problem. My company has implemented new politics for company phones and we think this is the reason why Spotify doesn't work.
At the moment I have to wait for fix in our system.

Might be! My Spotify doesn't work anymore and I own the company managing my phone (a Samsung S9+). Does it mean I'll no more be able to use Spotify unless I make a double profile?? 😱😱😱

Hey @zawiasam,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Also, @Ajcv, thanks for reaching out to us.

@zawiasam You can head here and open the web player. That way you can play your favorite jams.

@Ajcv You can give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. By doing that you can make sure the app is up-to-date and the cache is not causing any issues. If that doesn't help, you can try with another account. Does the issue persist? 

Keep us posted. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Ver Moderator

Hi Ver! Sure thing! I already done all the passages but still have the issue. I'll try again and see if it works now and let you know right away

Nope @ver, ain't working 😞 I did all, following all your advices but the app just crashes as soon as you press on it.

As mentioned by @zawiasam I also have a phone which is set on my company's gmail account; as I'm the super-administrator on GPanel I looked if there's some settings which could be in conflict with services such as Spotify, but I found no one and all the other music services work just fine.
What do you think @ver ?

Hey @Ajcv,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

If you're using any battery optimization or power saving apps, we'd suggest you deactivate them for Spotify. It's also a good idea to check if a firewall or anti-virus software is affecting the performance of the Spotify app. 

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator

Hi @Ver, the phone was reset yesterday so there are no apps like you mentioned. Spotify was my first app to be downloaded, I really find it hard not to be able to use it 😅
I don't know if Samsung has some particular software running in the background though. Any thoughts?

Regarding the issue raised by @zawiasam, don't you think that the issue could be related to being a device managed from an organization instead of being active on a personal gmail?

Let me know!

Hey @Ajcv,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

There could be some restrictions set for the app. It's a good idea to get in touch with your IT team to confirm that there are no restrictions on the phone that would block apps like Spotify.

Keep us posted. We'll be right here if you have any questions.

Ver Moderator

Checked:

- login works on other devices

- set Spotify in none battery saving mode (although I find that setting erratic(?) ie it seems to reset to battery saving mode after some time.

- after settings above, emptied  app data and cache and restarted. But app wont fire up

- the app start up is like: green spotify icon appears on black background, and then disappears in one second.

- I have checked with colleagues on my company who use the same S9, same carrier, same company policy/restrictions and Spotify runs on their device. (we can basically use any apps from google store, but I have noticed that Samsung secure vault is not allowed).

- no SD card but I have two sim cards

Hi there folks,

Thanks for the detailed answers.

There's another thing we can try out. If the Spotify app was preinstalled on your devices out of the box it might be causing issues. 

Could you try to enter the Safe mode on your phone and see whether you can open the app there? Check out this guide on how to enter Safe mode on the S9. If the app launches this means it's running the preinstalled version. You can try deleting that and all data associated with it. After that try installing the app from the store once you've booted up the normal mode again.

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

Tried the safe mode start and Spotify app icon was greyed out and unavailable then.

Hi @NisseN01,

Thanks for the quick reply!

If the app was grayed out, that means it was not preinstalled on the device.

At this point the last step that we can suggest is a factory reset of the phone. If you're up for doing one you can check out this guide from Samsung's forum. Note that by doing this you'll lose all your data, so it's better to back up everything important before doing so. 

Also, we can't guarantee that the app will run normally after that. If you don't want to go through the trouble of factory resetting your device, you can wait for one of the next app updates in which this issue might be resolved.

AlexModerator

@NisseN01 I wouldn't do the factory reset if I were you. Actually I am you. I tried this factory reset twice and it didn't work.
@Alex, my phone is also a company phone. There is no resctriction on the use of spotify. Most of my colleagues have no problem with spotify. But some do. All of those with Spotify troubles have Samsung S9.

Suggested posts