Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes when I change a song

Solved!

Spotify crashes when I change a song

Hi!
I'm a premium user of spotify and I'm having some troubles. When I play a song it stars normally, but when I change it the whole system crashes and I have to restart my phone. I deleted data and cache, also reinstalled the app

Any help?
Thank you

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Unfortunately this did not fix the issue.

Uninstalled, had to clean up \Android\data\com.spotify.music.

After reinstalling and letting it sync, I tested it, did the same thing again > screen froze 30 seconds later > phone automatically hard reset after a few minutes.

UPDATE: I have found the cause!

I use an equalizer - Equalizer FX (free version of Equalizer).

In the past I thought it was a likely culprit, so uninstalled to no avail.

However, this time uninstalling it fixed the issue. Not sure what is different to a few months ago!

I then installed Equalizer (can't save custom presets, gah!) and Spotify changed songs fine with the audio effects enabled.

I uninstalled this and reinstalled Equalizer FX and the issue reappeeared.

Using other music equalizers from the Play Store did not trigger the issue.

So, to conclude, Equalizer FX appears to be the culprit, with the audio effects causing some clashing with Spotify.

Will update if the issue reappears while using Equalizer.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

What version of android and Spotify are you using?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I'm using 4.4.2 KitKat and the lastest version of Spotify from the market

What device are you using @slayerr1991 and how much free storage space is shown in internal and external SD?

I'm using Moto G, and I have about 8 gb free

You don't have an external SD card? You'll find the version in spotify settings at the bottom.

Moto G doesn't have external SD and I have 0.7.9.1170

Thanks for the information. When you say "change a song" how are you doing this? Hitting the next button, selecting another track? Does it happen no matter how you change what's playing? Is it only with offline playlists or hen you are streaming music too?

For example: If I'm in the same list, downloaded, selecting another track sometimes it works good. If I press next button, it changes, but doesn't sound. If I turn the volume up or down, it crashes, but, if I don't touch the sound nothing happens. 

It's the same for streams

You seem to have tried everything and I'm out of ideas. 

Please get in touch with spotify here. If you get an automated response directing you back to the community or to the help pages, please reply to it to speed things along.

Same issue here and same scenario.

Hello, this same issue is affecting me as well. I'm a premium user running 4.4.3 on a new Moto G. When I change a song, there is no sound, even though the time indicator continues to move. Furthermore, when I turn off the phone's screen after changing the song, the display won't turn on again and I have to do a hard shut down. An update would be appreciated.

Bump.

Happening to me too and very frustrating.

Moto G as well, latest version of Kit Kat.

Odd that the Moto G seems to be having issues. Can you try uninstaling Spotify and using a file manager make sure that the below folders are deleted (the second one may be still remaining from the older versin of Spotify):

\Android\data\com.spotify.music

\Android\data\com.spotify.mobile.android.ui

Note: - Make sure to check both Emulated/0/ AND the /ext_sd/ locations for these folders as they could be on Internal memory or/and external SD card.

Once done, go to the play store and install the app again. Let me know how you get on,

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History
Marked as solution

Unfortunately this did not fix the issue.

Uninstalled, had to clean up \Android\data\com.spotify.music.

After reinstalling and letting it sync, I tested it, did the same thing again > screen froze 30 seconds later > phone automatically hard reset after a few minutes.

UPDATE: I have found the cause!

I use an equalizer - Equalizer FX (free version of Equalizer).

In the past I thought it was a likely culprit, so uninstalled to no avail.

However, this time uninstalling it fixed the issue. Not sure what is different to a few months ago!

I then installed Equalizer (can't save custom presets, gah!) and Spotify changed songs fine with the audio effects enabled.

I uninstalled this and reinstalled Equalizer FX and the issue reappeeared.

Using other music equalizers from the Play Store did not trigger the issue.

So, to conclude, Equalizer FX appears to be the culprit, with the audio effects causing some clashing with Spotify.

Will update if the issue reappears while using Equalizer.

Suggested posts