Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes when I turn of the screen

Solved!

Spotify crashes when I turn of the screen

Hello everybody,

since the last update Spotify seems to crash when I turn of the screen: The music stops approximately 30 seconds after I turn of the screen. Then, after I turn it back on the app restarts. This is independent from the screen lock. When I deactivate the screen lock it happens as well. Does anyone have a solution for this? I tried reinstalling Spotify. That didn't help. I use Android 4.2.2 on a "Fairphone 1".

A nice feature: It helps when I put Spotify in the background and look at some pictures (via the camera app) before I turn off the screen. Then Spotify does not crash. At least not always...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Just in case anyone has the same problem: I found a workaround that prevents Spotify from crashing. Here's the recipe (I know it's not beautiful, but it works):

1) start Spotify and play a song

2) put Spotify in the background

3) open the camera app and view a picture

4) leave the picture in the front and Spotify in the background and wait for the screen to turn off by itself

It may take a while until the screen turns off, but after that you can turn it off and on as you like. Spotify won't crash anymore (until you restart the phone) 🙂

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Hey @7998857!

Welcome to the Spotify Community.

That's odd. Can you go to your device Settings > Battery > Low Power Mode and check if that it's grayed out? 

In the meantime, try logging in with a different Spotify account to check if the same thing happens. 

Keep us posted.

Maria_BModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence in between.” – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Hi,

thanks for your answer: In my device there is no such option as Settings > Battery > Low Power Mode. I can only go to Settings > Battery and there is nothing related to Spotify or Low Power Mode. Only things like Screen and Wifi (see attached picture).

Trying a different account didn't help either...

battery.png
Marked as solution

Just in case anyone has the same problem: I found a workaround that prevents Spotify from crashing. Here's the recipe (I know it's not beautiful, but it works):

1) start Spotify and play a song

2) put Spotify in the background

3) open the camera app and view a picture

4) leave the picture in the front and Spotify in the background and wait for the screen to turn off by itself

It may take a while until the screen turns off, but after that you can turn it off and on as you like. Spotify won't crash anymore (until you restart the phone) 🙂

I have a similar problem and also have a Fairphone 1  - Spotify turns off and it generally seems to be connected to the screen turning off. I haven't found e.g. the Android guide (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/COMPLETE-GUIDE-How-to-fix-most-Android-issues/td-p/914257) super useful mainly, I think, because I don't get technology and have limite interest in understanding it, I just want it to work :-), but also because Fairphone seems to be slightly different than other Android phones, meaning I can't use the instructions. Like in the answer above, what you're asked to do, just isn't available or there for you to do.

I haven't been able to use Spotify properly for about a month now and am growing increasingly annoyed that I'm paying for a service I can't use.

Just out of curiosity: Did the above fix work for you as well? I'm a little annoyed, too, but I guess there are just not enough Fairphones around to make it worth the effort (I had a similar problem with Napster before...).

Yes, the fix you suggest above works, thank you. But I think it's insufficient in that it shouldn't happen at all and Spotify should be able to provide information on how to rectify it - I'm paying for this service. I shouldn't have to open the camera and fiddle around in order to play the music I'm paying for. It also doesn't seem to matter that it's a Fairphone this is happening on, many other Android users (I don't know about e.g. Apple as I have only checked the Android forums) have similar problems and I can't see that anything is being done to fix it.

I have the same Problem on the same device(FP1). Has anybody found a fix for this?

I'm still having the problem, too. I think it only got worse with one of the latest updates, i.e., the above workaround isn't reliable anymore. Now it is really starting to get annoying having to think twice before skipping a song because then I would have to turn on the screen and risk Spotify crashing. It feels a little bit like the old days (just getting through an unloved song to avoid the trouble of skipping it). Kind of vintage.

And... actually, since I'm now posting anyway: I really wouldn't call the workaround a solution unless Spotify is supposed to work like this. So maybe someone could remove the "solved" flag. Apparently I can't do that myself.

No fix for this. I still have to switch on camera to make Spotify work. And I wouldn't call this a solution either, I think it's extremely poor that Spotify seems to think that this solves the problem. Again: I'm paying for a service that doesn't work properly.

On a brighter note: when I was about to cancel my subscription because of this, Spotify finally gave me an email address to email (when I clicked that I was cancelling because things weren't working properly) and an actual support person answered. However, said support person can't make it work either, so no, no solution. Highly annoying and I can't understand why they can't fix this.

Same problem. Same FP1. Same plan to cancel subscription.. Grrr

Love the comment on "vintage way to listen to music". I miss my old mixtapes too.

Hey, i was having the same problem in my Lenovo vibe K5, Figuered out It was the type of storage, days earlyer Ive changed the mais storage to my SD card, switching back to the phone hard drive solved it, Hope It helps

Same problem here with a Lenovo Vibe P2.

Spotify randomly crashes when the screen turns off (either manually or automatically).

It started one or two weeks ago, no solution found by now.

Hello,

I have been having the same problem with my phone since around 2 weeks.

has a fix been found ?

Phone : Huawei P9.

best

Hello. Same here on Lenovo P2 😞

Same problem Lenovo K6 Power. Start around 2-3 week ago.

And I can't change Storage for with app for SD-card and Battery save-mode can't fix it.

Huawei P10 here, same problem

Any suggestions yet for solving this problem? 

Suggested posts