Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashing after 3-5 seconds [OnePlus X]

Spotify crashing after 3-5 seconds [OnePlus X]

Hey everyone,

I have a big issue with my spotify app at the moment on my OnePlus X.

Brief description of the issue: Spotify crashes after around 5 seconds every time.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Launch spotify
  2. Wait 5 seconds
  3. Spotify returns to home-screen and crashes (no force close or anything, just no toast notifications).

What steps you’ve tried already: Had a microSD cardd with spotify on, suspected this was the issue. Uninstalled spotify, removed sd card, installed spotify on my internal storage. Reinstalled it three times after that, formatted my cache partition. Reinstalled different versions of spotify from apkmirror (even latest beta), same issue.

Your device and operating system (e.g. Samsung Galaxy 4, 5.1.1) : OnePlus X Android 5.1.1. Oxygen OS 2.1.3-X (Build ONE E1003_14_151130)

Type of Spotify account you have (Free/ Premium): Premium

The app version of Spotify you’re using: 4.2.0.739 (tried 4.0.0.800 and 4.3.0.880 beta, same issue)

Note : This started happening after the new OTA update on my OnePlus X from yesterday I think. Posted on onePlus' forum, some have the issue, some don't.

I also tried a lot of different settings, putting my phone in offline mode (still crashes), wifi-on, wifi-off (on LTE). Formated my SD card and reinstalled spotify on it, still crashes same way...

I feel like this is a software issue from OnePlus but maybe Spotify can do something about it as if this bug was not resolved I would move to Google Play Music...

11 Replies

Frustrating, but yes I believe it's to do with the OxygenOS and given that I can't imagine there's a great deal the guys at Spotify can do.

I did a little searching myself and as you say it's clear that other OnePlus people have had this issue. Although some cache clearing and reinstalls did sort it for them. It's odd why it's not working for you though and I totally get why this is frustrating you!

It's annoying when OTA updates are pushed and the break stuff. I'm heavily into modding my Android devices with different ROM's so I've been in that position before. I would persevere if you can and try a few subsequent reinstalls. Not the most useful advice I realise, but if its worked for others in theory (maybe) eventually it should work for you.

Sadly I'm not sure you can revert OTA's unless you root your device and do it that way.

Sorry I can't be of much more help!

I must have reinstalled the app around 10 times by now. I'm considering flashing back to the previous ROM but that would probably mean reinstalling all my apps and settings... Big thing just to use spotify.

Agreed. When I root my devices, I always take a full backup before upgrading via OTR just incase I need to revert (not that this helps you in this instance)! And I've assumed you're using root also.

It's a pain, but in instances like this it's often not worthwhile for Spotify to attempt to fix it as no doubt there will be a subsequent OTR for your device in a few months that fixes the issue anyway.

Just a hunch, it sounds like a bit of a poorly coded OTR from what I've been reading on the OnePlus forums!

I have the same issue on xiaomi redmi note, so it's not only 1+x problem.

Does that run vanilla Android or Oxygen?

It has cyanogen mod 12.1.

Okay that's good. I actually love Cyanogen's take on Android but I imagine it's not something the Spotify Android programmers test their app on. I believe your verion is Android 5.1.1 if you're on 12.1 so in theory there shouldn't be a problem for you either.  Did it work on a previous version of CM?

It has worked few days ago on the same CM 12.1 ROM. Maybe something in Google Play Store has been changed, and that change causes crashes.
I've tried using older versions of spotify, even 2.something, and issue persists.

I have the same issue with Allegro app (that's polish ebay).

Perhaps. I am aware the Google Play store has undergone done significant changes of late. I take it you've also done the usual this, like reinstalling etc?

Seems like the issue has been fixed with an update ? Not sure I rebooted my phone tried a few days ago and it worked fine.

Yep. There have been some significant fixes in the recent update to Android! (Sorry I forgot to say!!) 🙂

Suggested posts