Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify does not ask for SDcard permission. Can't use SDcard.

Spotify does not ask for SDcard permission. Can't use SDcard.

Workaround below.  Sharing whole story for feedback to spotify.

Has a problem with Spotify filling up my internal storage. It has previously used the SDcard no problem. Card hasn't changed. Other apps can still use it.

In settings there are 2 storage items.

The 1st one titled "Storage" is a list of space taken / available. It's not selectable.

The 2nd one at the bottom Other/Storage - is where you select internal or SDcard. A check mark is placed next to the current selected.

Problem 1

In Settings: Storage.  The breakdown here is UNCLEAR. From experimentation I can see that it's intended to shows a breakdown of files and free space for the currently selected storage.  It would be much better if it explicity said in the report which storage the breakdown is for. Because it can go wrong and then the breakdown is very confusing.  E.g. in my case the selected storage was SDCard (128Gb), with a check mark next to SDcard, but the breakdown was showing internal storage (32Gb).  Surely impossible. Obviously something was broken.  

Problem 2

Apps that work with SDcards activate a permission prompt throuigh android to get access to the SDCard during installation.  With a fresh install - my phone did not do this.  Perhaps because it was shipped with spotify pre-installed and my only Play Store options was "update". Anyway - it did not prompt for permissions, and there is no "grant permissions" option. Simply selecting it in Other / Storage also did not initiate a prompt.

If I tried to change storage to SDCard, Spotify would say it was transferring files and then fail and ask me to check permissions. Yes, Spotify, but how? Many apps have a "Check permissions" button.

Workaround:

Clean uninstall. Reboot. Go to Android Settings / Apps / Spotify as set the permission MANUALLY for SDcard. Then go into Spotify / Settings / Other Storage and change to SD card. 

Check:

go into Spotify / Settings / Storage and check that breakdown chart matches size of SDcard.  If not, Reboot again until it does.

Try a download.  It should now show in breakdown under "Downloads"

This managed to get Spotify to show the correct breakdown in Settings / Storage for 128Gb.  Grr - why doesn't it SAY SDcard? So flaky to infer this from the total.

I hope this is useful feedback and perhaps devs would consider improvements?

Prior to this, might be unrelated but worth mentioning - I had problems with Waze integration. I don't have Waze on my phone but I had constant notifications. I had to install Waze, connec to it and then unconnect to get the notifications to stop.

Plan

Premium. Downloads always set to "Very high".

Country

UK

Device

Sony Z5 compact

Operating System

Android 7.1.1

1 Reply

Yea they ve had this problem for years now and from what I can see they arent planning on fixing it any time soon. RIP to the 25 gbs I had downloaded. What a joke.

Screenshot_20200218-224019_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20200305-222448_Spotify.jpg
Screenshot_20200314-162009_Spotify.jpg

Suggested posts