Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify does not register as running on my android and causes some odd interactions (detailed).

Spotify does not register as running on my android and causes some odd interactions (detailed).

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Galaxy S20 Ultra (T-Mobile)

Operating System

Android 10

Spotify Version (Most recent)

My Question or Issue

Frequently, my Spotify app will not show as if it is running on my phone, even though it is. I will hear music playing, whether it be my bluetooth speaker, car bluetooth, or the phone itself, but I will not see the Spotify "player" in the notification pane on my phone. When this is the case, I notice the following events:

• When my bluetooth devices are turned off, while music is playing, the music will continue playing from my phone. Normally it just turns off.
  • When I open the Spotify app, it will display a song that was playing previously and not the one I am actually hearing. My radio will also display this same song. I have not been able to get the song to actually change to the correct song without force closing the app and restarting it.
  • Depending on the power settings for my phone, it can get killed as a dead process. Music will randomly cut out because of this. 
  • Sometimes, but not every time, I will not be able to change the song with the controls from my car stereo. 

Steps I have taken to try and resolve the issue:

• Uninstall/reinstall the app with a reboot in between
  • Clear cache and data for the app
  • Factory reset device (for different reason, but the issue persists)

I had the idea of taking a pic of the car stereo with the incorrect song playing and then taking a screen shot of the phone to show the times matched but the songs did not, but that is when I realized the phone also displayed the wrong song. That was a bit of a bummer, but nothing I could do about it. If it is acceptable, I can record a video showing the stereo with the incorrect audio in the background. I will hold off on that until I know if will not violate any rules or guidelines.

Are there any other steps I could take to potentially resolve this issue? Otherwise I would at least like to get it on the radar for anyone who works on bug fixes.

Thank you!

2 Replies

Hey there @T3vin0t3r095!

Thanks for reaching out to us, apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread.

We can recommend that you check the phone's battery settings and make sure that Spotify is set as an exception if you're using the battery optimization option.

It's also a good idea to check that Spotify has the permissions to run in the background.

If that's not causing the issue, if a family member has a Spotify account, it could also be a good idea to ask them to log in on your device to see if the app behaves the same way.

We'll be on the lookout for your answer and we'll see what we can suggest next. Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you in the meantime.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello, I thought I changed the power settings to be excluded but they appeared to not be changed. I set it to not be optimized so I will wait and see if that resolves the issue. Thank you!

Suggested posts