Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify doesn't start after reinstall; cannot access SD card to store data

Spotify doesn't start after reinstall; cannot access SD card to store data

Description

After a reinstall following the troubleshooting guide, Spotify no longer starts properly, only giving a blank screen with the following error:

No SD Card Found

We found no place to store our data, pleace check that you have a working SD card and free space.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

I followed the reinstallation steps from the Troubleshooting Guide

Spotify worked properly prior to the reinstall. It was installed on the internal SD card and I wished to move it to the larger external card.

I first attempted a reinstall using the Spotify app from the Play Store. I also tried following the Troubleshooting steps using the apk from m.spotify.com, but I got the same result.

What I expected to happen

Upon reinstalling I expected Spotify to automatically detect the external SD card, install itself there and work properly.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes (but irrelevant)

Your device

Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition (GT-I9505G)

Device’s Operating System

4.4 KitKat

What type of account do you have?

Premium

Space left on your device

6.8 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

6.8 GB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

59.3 GB

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

Yes

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

N/A

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

N/A

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

0.9.6.81 (shouldn't be relevant?)

My mobile provider and country / My username / Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login? / Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Irrelevant, I never get to the login screen.

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

Screenshot_2013-12-18-21-21-18.png
Screenshot_2013-12-18-21-21-26.png
Screenshot_2013-12-18-21-21-34.png
8 Replies

Hi. Could you try the following steps and let me know how it goes.

• Uninstall spotify.
  • Reformat the external SD card using the phone's format utility.
  • Search for and delete (if it exists) the folder com.spotify.mobile.android.ui in \Phone\Android\data\
  • Install spotify from Google Play.

Formatting the SD card didn't help unfortunately.

I was, however, at least able to get Spotify up and running again on internal storage by simply unmounting the SD card before reinstalling, so Spotify does seem to have a problem with the external card, and it seems like it's the only app I have that has trouble with it.

While it doesn't solve my original goal to move my music to the external card, if anyone else gets the same issue I'd suggest trying this to at least get the app back up and running.

I have exactly the same problem with my new Sony Z Ultra Google Play Edition.  Maybe this has to do with Google Play Edition devices running the latest stock 4.4.2 rom.

I seem to remember seeing a suggestion in XDA forums that reformatting the external card to FAT32 might help. Worth trying?

I too have this error with the Google Play Edition of the S4. If i take the card out then it installs but I need to local storage space free. So I purchased a SD card and it cant read it. Same error as posted above. Is this a spotify issue or Android 4.4.2 issue?

SD card issues have been around since android's launch. I may be reading too much into this but have you noticed that Google's own devices don't have an external SD card slot?

Hi,

I just bought a Galaxy Note 3. Installed Spotify out of the box, no rooting, or other stuff.

Exactly the same screens as above. Tried formatting, reinstalling, nothing worked: same blank screens keep appearing.

With me, it is the only app that gives this SD-card problem. Well, technically Spotify claims to work on Android up to 4.3 and this one is 4.4.2, so I suppose it's a work in progress.

I took a subscription on Google Music to fill the empty space....so: not too happy!

Please take a look at this, Spotify. So far I have seen no reaction or mention of this problem from Spotify....

Regards,

Erwin

Actually, I used the workaround where you disable the sd-card during install and setup of Spotify and it did solve it for now. The catch being songs downloaded onto the phone's memory. But at least it works.

Suggested posts