Premium

Country

UK

Device

Huawei P9 Plus

Operating System

Android

My Question or Issue

• Spotify will just "hang" when searching, the screen flashes without content loading.
  • When a song is playing, randomly it can't be stopped and the only way to stop it is to force stop the app or restart the phone.
  • Already tried one re-install of the app, hasn't resolved issues.
16 Replies

Basically the same problem.  I can open the program on my Windows 10 desktop.  Usually it will start playing whatever song was in the queue already.  When I type anything in the search box, or click on a different playlist, the app freezes completely.  To restart it, I either have to reboot my desktop, or go into desktop manager and remove all the running Spotify processes.  And then it does exactly the same thing.  I have re-downloaded and reinstalled the program several times, and I have checked my firewall and my VPN.  It does work in my car and on an Oontz speaker.  I have tried logging out on both devices and it doesn't help.  I am paying for premium by the way.  Super aggravating.

Same problems here. 

Hey @JDVB33, @scoke and @EvenChiu ,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

We actually have an ongoing issue about this. You can have a look at it here.

Hope this information is helpful.

Keep us posted. We're always one reply away.

Cheers!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Plan

Premium (Family)

Country

Germany

Device

Samsung Galaxy A40 & OnePlus NORD

Operating System

Android 10

Hi,

same problem here... 😞

The issue does only show off, when I search for "Sherlock Holmes". Other searches are processed without any problems.

Since the problem showed off the first time month before on my Android device (Samsung Galaxy A40), I tried several times to reinstall, logout and -in again, made the "clean uninstall" like recommanded here in the community... nothing solved the problem.

At least I set off the whole Android OI and installed spotify on the clean device. The issue still remained... I could cry!

Now I have a new device (OnePlus NORD) and I hoped, the issue wouldn't show off at the new device... Unfortunately it does... 

I have no clue what the reason could be...

I attached a screen record to show the issue "live"...

Does anybody have a solution??? Please help me!

Hi there @sharkythebeast,

Thanks for reaching out about this!

We'd recommend trying a new account if you experience this on multiple phones. You can ask a friend or family member to log in with theirs, or create a new free account to see if you can search without problem for "Sherlock Holmes".

It would also be helpful if you send us a link/URI so we can try this on our end. You can use the Web player to copy a link 🙂

Keep us posted.

AlexModerator

Hi @Alex ,

thx for your reply.

I'll test to login with another account on my device and report the results
here.

I don't think, the problems occur with other divices when you search for
"Sherlock Holmes". My france's account (on her device) doesent get the
issues by searching about those tags...
But nevertheless, I will reply a link soon...

best regards
Lars

sorry, I'm not that into those forum things yet 😉

here is the link from the WebPlayer finally:

https://open.spotify.com/artist/2YlvvdXUqRjiXmeL2GRuZ9

Hey @sharkythebeast,

Thanks for keeping in touch and for sending that info.

We couldn't replicate it on our end and we could search for Sherlock Holmes without issues.

To determine if this is indeed related to your account, could you try logging in to your account on another device where you know it worked for someone else? 

Also, could you try using a different connection, like mobile data or another WiFi network and let us know if there's any difference?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Hey CarlosE,

thx for your input too! 🙂

I tried a Free account on my device as suggested by @Alex...

The issue doesn't appears in the Spotify App when logged in with the free account. No problem at all.

I also don't have the issue by searching on the WebPlayer logged in with my genuine account.

The issue only shows off with my account on the Spotify App (on every device).

So I'm pretty sure now, that it is a bug within my account "sharkythebeast" itself. But what (the **bleep**) could be the reason?! Why does it only affect a bunch of user? And how can it be fixed?

I would prefer to keep my account, because it's the "master" account for my family...

Isn't there a chance, that somebody on the side of spotify can "debug" my account?!

best regards

Lars

There is no difference when I try searching for "Sherlock Holmes" with Wifi connection or mobile data. The issue appears on both ways of connection.

Hi @sharkythebeast,

Thanks for bearing with us and for all the info provided.

Based on what you've mentioned, it definitely looks like this issue is indeed account-related. What is suggested in such cases is to create a new account and transfer your content by following the steps in this article.

However, you'd also need to cancel your current subscription and subscribe again in the new account, therefore inviting your family members again to your plan.

As this specific issue with that particular content is isolated to your account, we're afraid we can't address it from our end.

No worries though, in this case, we recommend creating a playlist on the web player with any Sherlock Holmes content you want to listen to, so you have easy access to it and don't have to search for it on the app.

We hope this helps. If you have any questions, we're always a post away 🙂

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

Hey CarlosE,

I'm sad to hear, there seems to be no other way than creating a new account.

Is there any chance to transfer my username from the old account to the new?

thx for your replies!

Hey @sharkythebeast,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

Although usernames can't be transferred and an alphanumeric username is automatically generated for newly-created accounts (that can't be modified), you can set the display name that you want, which will be the one that is publicly shown on your account to other users. You can find more info about it in this article.

Remember that you can also use the workaround I mentioned in my previous reply so you keep your current account.

If you need anything else, give us a shout!

Take care.

CarlosEModerator

@CarlosE  schrieb:

Based on what you've mentioned, it definitely looks like this issue is indeed account-related.

In the meantime I was able to solve the problem without deleting / recreating the account.

It turned out to be a "bug" within the "My favorite Songs"-Playlist. As I mentioned, I listen to several albums of the interpret "Sherlock Holmes". I also downloaded a bunch of albums over the period auf 3 years. As I did so, spotify added all tracks of every downloaded album in the "My favorite Songs"-Playlist. The "Like"- marking on every track remains even if the download itself was deleted from the device.

I didn't recongnized that so far...

When I deleted all the unwanted entries (>1.500 tracks)  from the playlist, the "freeze-problem" as mentioned in this topic was gone. 

From my point of view, the issue can be closed as resolved.

best regards from Hamburg (Germany)

sharkythebeast

Hey @sharkythebeast,

Thanks for sharing what worked for you. Other users might find it helpful 🙂

Glad to hear you found a way to solve the issue at hand.

Libraries that contain thousands of songs can cause the app to slow down/ freeze on some device. Having an ordered library is very helpful in such situations.

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Suggested posts