Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify is blocking UDP 1900. Other apps can no longer find my DLNA server!

Solved!

Spotify is blocking UDP 1900. Other apps can no longer find my DLNA server!

Currently using Spotify build 2.7.0.883 on HTC One M7 on Android 5.0.2 (stock).

I have a NAS running a DLNA server. I use BubbleUPnP and LocalCast apps to watch and to send content to my tv.

Recently these apps no longer finds my DLNA server, and BubbleUPnp opens with this message: 

"There was a problem initializing the UPnp service. Try restarting the app after rebooting your device. Check that there is not a background app using UDP port 1900 (used for device discovery), using the 'Netstat Plus' app. Finally, if Spotify is running, force kil it before starting BubbleUPnP."

As you can see in the attachment Spotify is indeed using UDP 1900, and after force closing Spotify, the other apps are working again.

I can't tell what exact version this bug was introduced in, but it can't be more than 2 or 3 weeks ago.

2015-05-19 09.07.10.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Got version 3.0 today. This seems to have fixed the issue. 🙂

View solution in original post

14 Replies

I assume there's a legitimate reason Spotify is calling that port. However you can try rolling back to 2.6 if you want to see if it works on that version (link in my signature).

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Thanks! Rolled back to 2.6. Same thing happened. Then tried 2.5, and that version worked fine despite that OS monitor still reports Spotify to listen on UDP 1900. But something has definitely been changed regarding this port on version 2.6!

I use BubbleUPnP as well and haven't noticed n issue; but then I'm on the beta rollout. Checking the beta forum it seems the developer identified it as a known issue recently and fixed it in the beta.

You could join the beta to get the updated app: https://plus.google.com/communities/113405038554741017351/s/udp%201900

Android Troubleshooting:

BubbleUPnP dev here.

There's really a problem with how Spotify uses UDP port 1900.

The solution points to a beta supposedly fixing it, but  I had to revert this change because it broke functionality in BubbleUPnP.

So it is still present to this day and affects BubbleUPnP and other apps (such as LocalCast) to perform

UPnP device discovery and (eventually) advertise their own UPnP devices on the network.

The problem is that Spotify binds to UDP port 1900 in a way that prevents any other app to bind to it.

Normally, several well behaved apps can bind to UDP port 1900 at the same time but Spotify does it in a way that prevents other

apps to bind to it, getting an "Address is use" IOException.

This *is* a Spotify issue issue. I remember a few month ago a  popular bittorent app having the same issue,

until they fixed it.

thanks @bobbie424242 I've escalated your post to the staff and asked that they pass it onto the Android Development team to look into. Fingers-Crossed it can be fixed a I use your app on occasion so would be useful to get fixed!

Android Troubleshooting:

Thanks guys! I'll stick with 2.5 for now. This version works great and also feels a lot more quicker than 2.6 and 2.7.

Thank you for the report.

We're going to do some investigating on our end. We'll update you shortly.

Hey guys!

We just wanted to let you know that this will be fixed in an upcoming version of Spotify, which should be released shortly. 

Thanks for the update @Grace

FYI @bobbie424242 & @jornhd

Android Troubleshooting:

Thanks! Looking forward to it.
Marked as solution

Got version 3.0 today. This seems to have fixed the issue. 🙂

This UDP Port blocking issue is still occurring on iOS build 8.5.22.739. Leaving Spotify open in the background causes other apps unable to use UDP port on 1900. -Chris

Also happening on macOS (10.13.6) with Spotify build 1.1.22.633.

I'm running Home Assistant on my Mac mini, and I get "Address already in use" error when it's trying to use port 1900 for emulated Hue / upnp. 

# lsof -i:1900

COMMAND PID USER FD TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
Spotify 3463 [user] 74u IPv4 0xc7405903e893095 0t0 UDP *:ssdp

Everything works fine if I quit the Spotify app.

Spotify is probably using this port to allow finding devices like sonos speakers, and other network speakers so that audio can be streamed to them. SSDP requires the use of port 1900

For this reason I believe that this issues is going to stay and a work around is to use spotify web, or run it on a different device when you need port 1900

Suggested posts