Premium

Country

UK

Device

Nvidia shield tv pro

Operating System

Android TV

My Question or Issue

Just moved over to a Nvidia tv pro and absolutely hate how Spotify is on there. (to the point of actually looking into other music streaming options) Currently the biggest flaw is that I am unable to view artists and albums in alphabetical order as there is no filter (unlike my mobile phone and my other cheap old android box) no option to see new releases on a Friday and find the whole experience clunky and not user friendly. Its almost like it has been designed by a person that does not like music !! Why is this so different from the usual android Spotify app????? (which i am very happy with)

I can use my phone to select an artist or album but why should I when I just paid out on a supposedly "top of the game entertainment device"
Is there any solution to this? I tried sideloading Spotify from my other android box, it would install but not open.

9 Replies

I have a Shield TV too not Pro tho and the app is horrible! I am unable to search AT ALL. A keyboard just doesn't show up when you click the search bar. Also the main reason I am trying to use the app is to watch the Joe Rogan Podcast which doesn't work. There are a couple very old joe rogan podcasts listed on the app and that's it and none have video. Even if I'm watching a podcast on my phone in Spotify there is no way to cast it to my shield. It seems like this really isn't a fully functioning app and really only ment to work by casting from your phone which now with video podcasts doesn't even work. 

Hey there @Brn107,

Thank you for your post and letting us know about this.

You should be able to find and open the JRE Podcast on your TV. In this case we recommend you to:

• Try with another internet connection.
  • Perform a reinstall of the app
  • Log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists.

Keep us posted. We'll be having an eye out for your reply 🙂

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hello, that does not address the issue at all as posted by the original user. The issue is that Spotify differs significantly (and not for the better) between regular Android platform and Android TV (which Nvidia Shiled has but many cheaper Android TV boxes do not).

There is no way to scroll without skipping tracks, there is no "search artist radio" feature (a key one for me), there is no "add to a playlist" feature, and the search function is next to useless.

So no, telling someone how they can listen to Joe Rogen does not resolve the sub-standard quality of the Spotify platform as initially inquired about.

Yeah the Spotify app for android TV needs to be completely rebuilt. I don't even attempt to use it anymore. If I am at home using my TV for music or podcasts sadly Spotify is not my go to. And with YouTube's seamless transition from TV to YouTube music on my phone the thought of switching completely has crossed my mind. If I wasn't to lazy to move all my playlists I might have dropped Spotify already lol. 

Like the comment below stated, JRE has little to do with it. Until Spotify rebuilds the android TV app I don't even care to try using it. 

Hey there folks!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and we're sorry to hear you feel this way.

We recommend suggesting your improvement ideas on our Ideas board so that it could get support from other users as well. Take a look at this page to see how to post an Idea.

If you're interested in how ideas work and how your feedback reaches the right teams here, check this page out.

Let us know if there's anything else we can do for you. We'd be happy to help.

ElenaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

AGREED  I have Spotify on my Nvidia shield and it is not a particularly friendly user interface. There is no option to search through or filter liked songs. (Not going to scroll thru 1k songs....). No option to see new releases. Other standard features are also missing. Why is this app so much worse than the standard android app, which I quite like? I’m  considering other methods of playing music on my shield TV system, to be honest. Needs a rebuild or update.

Hey there @user-removed, 

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community.

We understand where you're coming from and we really value your feedback. This helps inform our decisions going forward and we'll make sure to pass it on to the right teams. 

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away. 

Cheers. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Hi, 

I have a shield as well and untill recently i have have zero problems with it. Alright, sometimes its a bit hard to search something, but the connection between spotify shield and spotify phone is great. 

However, recently the subtitels for the JRE are missing. Well, they are not missing, but they just dont show when i click on the button. Is shows me the message that there are turned on, but they wont show. With other podcasts i dont have that problem. Its only the JRE. 

For a couple of weeks/months now i am in contact with the spotify support, and there is where my problem lies. They dont have any clue. Its crazy. i have to explain everything every week over and over again. 

at first they said its only available in Android based devices (thats funny right)

Now, this week, they said that subtitels only work on iOS and Desktop. So they are changing their opinion, because thats what it is i guess. 

When i tell them that i do have subs on other podcast on my shield and my android Samsung, they dont respond. 

Its crazy. They have pictures, links of podcasts, but they just lying to your face. I am really fed up with it. 

The most recent mail was: its your device, and you can give feedback in this topic. 

So, that I am doing right now. 

I have no solution, Spotify doenst have one and they are lying. 

I dont know what to do anymore. 

yeah... thats it i guess. Thank you for your attention.:)

Suggested posts