Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify switches from Car Bluetooth to Sonos at home

Spotify switches from Car Bluetooth to Sonos at home

Plan

Premium

Country

Austria

Device

iPhone 12

Operating System

iOS 16.3.1

My Question or Issue

Hello,

Since some weeks I have (not always but more often) following strange behavior:

• I start my car
  • My iPhone connect to my bluetooth dongle
  • I open Spotify and start any playlist
  • I start to drive
  • After some minutes I can't hear any music
  • When I look on my iPhone screen, I see music is still playing
  • In the footer row I see the "speaker" icon instead of the "bluetooth" icon.
  • I click on that icon and see, that Spotify is connected to my Sonos system at home.
  • I have to click on the bluetooth icon to switch to my car bluetooth donge again.

Why does Spotify switches automatically to a another system? How can I  change this behavior?

63 Replies

Hey @Phipsiii,

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community.

This might be happening if your account is logged in on a speaker and someone else is starting the music at home via the Spotify Connect feature. In order to fix this, we'd recommend to follow the step here to log out everywhere. 

It's also a good idea to log in on your Account page and go to ''Apps'' in the menu on the left side. There you can check any third party apps where you're logged in and we'd suggest that you "Remove Access" for the Sonos app. 

In case you're still experiencing this - let us know. We'll be happy to help out further 🙂

LyubkaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

J'ai acheté depuis peu de temps 2 enceintes Sonos que j'ai ajouté dans mes appareils. Néanmoins, lorsque je suis en dehors de mon domicile et que je suis en écoute sur un autre support (telephone par exemple), peu de temps après, l'écoute bascule automatiquement sur mes enceintes de mon domicile... Je dois donc reprendre la main sur mon tel pour reprendre l'écoute...et cela toutes les 20/25 min... Au delà de retirer à chaque fois mes enceintes de mes appareils lorsque je ne suis pas chez moi (puis de devoir les ajouter en rentrant...), y a t-il une méthode/un parametrage pour que l'appli/version web ne change pas automatiquement l'appareil en cours d'écoute? Merci pour votre aide

Hi, same problem here. I was driving using Spotify on my car (bluetooth). Then it switched to my Echo Show (wifi) at home (I live alone). I got home and I played the music on a Sonos Roam (wifi) and then mid-song switch to Echo Show (wifi) without asking Alexa to do so. Fortunately it has not happened wen using Earbuds Pro (Bluetooth). So I'm not quite sure what is the problem here.

I am having this same issue and it is driving me insane and making me want to switch to Apple Music.

I have a Sonos Era 300 and Era 100 and when I’m listening to Spotify on my phone/car/AirPods it will randomly switch to my Sonos group. In one hour at the gym it did it five times. And then when I’m driving it’s just a safety concern cause then while I’m driving I need to switch it back.

I did the full clean and redownload like they suggested and nothing happens. Spotify please fix this asap it is the most annoying thing and it makes your service practically unusable.

Hey @owenevey,

Thanks for reaching out and kudos for the troubleshooting you've tried so far.

Would it be possible to also try and reset the Sonos devices and re-install the Sonos app to see if that makes a difference?

Let us know how it goes.

MihailYModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I already reset the sonos and reinstalled the app and nothing changed.

Hey @owenevey,

Thanks for the reply and the troubleshooting tried so far.

This experience is most probably due to which account is being used in the Sonos app. When you're away from home, is someone else using the Sonos device at home?

Make sure the other person, if there is one, uses their own account for the Sonos app.

Let us know how that went,

Cheers!

DianModerator

Today on my Samsung Galaxy S21 I wanted to play music on my Shokz OpenRun PRO headphones, but somehow the app connected to a Sonos Move speaker that is located 2 Km away on a LAN that I couldn't possibly be connected to from where I was. I also have a Sonos Move at home, but it didn't connect to that one, even though that one was readily available. I manually switched output devices and didn't think about it, untill, having arived at work, my music stopped playing mid song. When I looked, it had switched back to the Sonos Move at the office. My phone was in a wireless charger at the time, so I wasn't touching it at all. I switched back to my headphones and a couple of songs later it again switched to the Sonos Move. I've now been listening on my earphones for a good 20 minutes without a hitch, but I'd rather the Spotify app wouldn't just randomly choose another device. I'll decide where I want to listen to my music thank you very much.

Nobody else is using it and I’ve reset and reinstalled everything. I’ll be listening in my AirPods and it will switch ten times in an hour. I don’t think there’s anything I can do, I think it’s just a bug that occurs when Spotify connects to Sonos. Really hoping you guys can prioritize this because it makes Spotify unusable. Thanks for the help

We have the same problem! Has anyone found a fix for this yet? 

I am having the same issue. Just upgraded my whole Sonos system to Eras and now anytime my phone is connected to my airpods or car and I play something via Spotify it eventually stops playing on my current device because it is automatically connecting to the Sonos and playing there.

Same problem here, Spotify randomly switches from local playback to random Sonos devices, happens both on PC and Android. On Android, it even switched directly from one Sonos device to another, all without any interaction.

Could it be that there is a bug that is triggered when a device becomes temporarily unavailable on network, then reappears? From a software engineering this seems plausible and would be easy to test for you.

I’ve also noticed that something occurring on my phone will trigger it to switch. Like when I get a text message sometimes that will switch it.

Okay, I was just able to significantly improve the problem here by solving a wireless issue where one of my repeaters was not working properly and the Sonos device was actually connected to the wrong AP.

Please note that this *confirms* that this is a bug in Spotify. My current guess is that a device temporarily losing network connectivity, then reappearing and readvertising itself triggers Spotify to switch to the device under certain conditions although playback was local before.

@AlejaR If you can forward something to engineers for debugging, then I would suggesting experimenting with an Airplay device that temporarily loses wireless network connectivity. You could maybe achieve this by shielding the device temporarily (put a faraday cage on it might be the simplest to try).

Same here, fix would be nice..... 

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your posts.

In order for us to investigate this further, we'd need the Spotify version you're currently running. We can then relay the information to our tech team. 

Any additional details (such as device's make, model and OS) will be very helpful to our investigation as well. Sending us a quick video of the issue like would come in handy. 

Please make sure to include any relevant information as this way it'll be easier for our teams to understand the root cause of this.

We'll be on the look for your replies.

LyubkaModerator

Thank you for taking our issue seriously.
We are using Spotify version 8.8.54.544 and have just bought and installed all new ERA devices upgrading from our old Sonos devices. We actually upgraded because we had volume issues before (the speakers would suddenly get loud and then quiet and it would keep yo-yoing and lagging if you tried to interfere). But this issue is even more annoying as it's impossible to change the speaker Spotify is played on while driving and using CarPlay.
Also we have a second issue that Spotify now often wants to play the same song. For example if I try to play Dominic Fike's new album after the first song it will switch to someone else's and play it on repeat...

Spotify 8.8.54.544

iPhone 14 Pro Max

iOS 16.5.1 (c)

This is still happening for me as well. After some time paying on the correct device (airpods, car) Spotify appears to connect to Sonos briefly, pausing playback on the current device (airpods, car). Then I have to press play after a few seconds and it reconnects to the bluetooth device (airpods, car).

iPhone 14, iOS 16.5.1(c)

spotify version 8.8.54.544

The issues are the same as what everyone else is saying. Whether my phone is connected to AirPods, CarPlay, etc., it will randomly switch to my Sonos group (1 Era 300, 2 Era 100). It will also sometimes randomly stop while playing on this Spotify group or Sonos devices (it’ll switch to a random nearby song and be silent). Lastly, like another user mentioned, it will also sometimes add a song to the queue 30+ times randomly.

Thanks for the help

Suggested posts