Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps automatically switching downloads to internal storage

Solved!

Spotify keeps automatically switching downloads to internal storage

I have a Samsung phone with about 8gb of internal storage and a 64gb external sd card. Naturally I would want to store my Spotify downloads om my external sd card. This seems to work fine for a while, but shortly after Spotify automatically switches to internal storage. This has the following effects:

- my internal sd fills up to the point that my device is not functioning properly (as there is not much free space left on my internal storage)
- I immediately lose all the downloads on my sd card. Even when I switch back the storage to external sd all my previous downloads are gone.
- Sometimes I have to manually recheck all things in my library that I want downloaded, which is a very annoying process that costs me a lot of time

This keeps happening every time I restore my downloads. It takes anywhere between a couple of hours to 2 days for the issue to arise again. My other apps don't seem to have any issues with reading from my external sd.

I have reset or reinstalled the app multiple times but the issue persists. As a side-effect of me reinstalling the app so many times, Spotify had also sometimes removed all my downloads because it thought I had downloaded to more than 3 devices (which in reality was just the same device added multiple times).

Is there any way to prevent Spotify from automatically switching to my internal sd? If Spotify has an issue with reading my sd card, I would prefer they would notify me and ask me if I want to switch to internal storage instead of doing so automatically.
When it does switch, is there any way for me to let Spotify switch back to the caching files on my external sd? The files are still there, but as soon as I switch spotify to external storage it just wipes everything that's already there.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I use Spotify alot so it is really frustrating to run into this issue on a daily basis.
59 Replies

Think ima go ahead and cancel as it seems people have been dealing with this for a while with no fix.... Just t started my Google trial it'll be sad to see Spotify go but i have to have my music offline

Seems to happen everytime I restart my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7), or enter a new country. Even with offline mode enabled, the arbitrary switch still happens. PLEASE FIX THIS SPOTIFY. I am sooo close to switching over to google music. 

This is brutal.

Having the same issue on my Galaxy S8+ where everything is downloaded to SD and all of a sudden it switches to internal and I lose everything.

Vert dissapointing that this didn't start happening to me until I recently upgraded from S5 to S8+.....

Going to have to look for a better service as this problem has gone unresolved too long

Marked as solution

I've actually had the problem for the last months as well and it seems it
is solved on my phone. This is what I did:

1. Delete cache and all data in the app on your phone.
2. Uninstall the app.

3. Use a pc and login to manage your account via browser
4. Navigate to your 'offline devices' and delete all listed devices from
the list.

5. Install the app on your phone and log in.

Ever since Spotify uses my SD card properly.

Good luck, fellows!

This is new! I'll try it tonight..... Please God! make it work! 

Still can't understand why spotify won't even acknowledge the problem...

I am having this problem as well. Does anyone have a fix yet

No 😞 That's why I will try what this guy tried....

I had the Galaxy S7 Edge, that kept switching to internal storage. I now
have the S8+, still experiencing the issue. I am going to start previewing
other providers as Spotify doesn't seem to have a solution or care.

I have this. Downloads again after updates to different storage area. Just uninstalled and gain 16 gb internal and 20 some external. Have turned off auto update in play store. Will see what happens.

My problem seems not to be restricted to auto switch back to internal memory, but redownloading multiple times to same storage location . 🖕

Exactly the same problem on my brand new S8+.
Come on Spotify, sort this out, please!

It's working!!!! I deleted every devices in my account and spotify hasn't revert back to internal storage for weeks even after mutiple phone reboots and spotify update. THANKS!!!!!

Hey, thank you for your help kenny-r69, but sadly it didn't work form me.

I have a Samsung Galaxy A5 (2016), and this storage thing is driving me nuts.

Anyone has another idea? Or has tried something different? 

Thank you!

PS: It isn't weird that we (the users) have to help each other because we cannot get any solution from the company that gets our money? Any way...

Yeah this article convinced me I'm canceling premium. This has been a problem for the two years I've been using the service and it seems somehow completely unaddressed and I know this is a known issue because I've been googling it from the beginning. I'm done with the unchanging list of problems with their app for a premium service. I like it otherwise but not having music saved to my phone for two years is just ridiculous. 

Yep me too, Spotify seem unwilling to sort this out. Another subscription cancelled 

Hey, have you actually tried the support of Spotify? I don't think they read the forum entries at all... The solution that worked for me was also suggested by the actual support team...

Good luck, Karsten

@spotify UP!!! 

I've been having the same issue on my Galaxy s5. I think it happens when the software is updated.

I agree. This is an easy fix for Spotify and for them to not address this obvious issue is unacceptable for premium users.

@kenny-r69 wrote:
I've actually had the problem for the last months as well and it seems it
is solved on my phone. This is what I did:

1. Delete cache and all data in the app on your phone.
2. Uninstall the app.

3. Use a pc and login to manage your account via browser
4. Navigate to your 'offline devices' and delete all listed devices from
the list.

5. Install the app on your phone and log in.

Ever since Spotify uses my SD card properly.

Good luck, fellows!

This seems to have worked on my S5 with a 64 gb card. After reinstalling before re-logging in I went into my app manager and made sure that Spotify had permissions to storage also.

After I did all this I downloaded some music to my SD card restarted my phone and it was still there!

This happens to me too.

Every other day it de synces my playlists.

This is  unacceptable.

Huawei P10.

Are you using the Spotify widget? When I deleted the widget it stopped switching. I believe when the phone restart the Spotify widget starts before the SD card is load causing it to switch to internal memory.

Hope this helps.

Suggested posts