Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps downloading my "already downloaded" music (and the size of the app keeps growing...)

Spotify keeps downloading my "already downloaded" music (and the size of the app keeps growing...)

Hello, I have an issue with all of my downloaded songs

I have a premium account and I downloaded all my 2000 songs so that I can listen to them on "offline mode"

But today, without any explanations, all my songs are not available anymore, the green arrow near every music, the one which shows you that your song is available offline, is now grey. Therefore, I can't listen to them anymore if I don't download them again ...

BUT, I also have a HUGE problem ! Not only my songs are not available anymore and I have to download them again, but all the previous songs are not deleted either !! Because the size of the app remains the same ! And when I download them again (sadly), the size taken by Spotify keeps growing

This means that all my songs are gone, I can't listen to them anymore but I still have 8GB of music on my app. And when I start to download them, Spotify add all the songs to the previous 8GB ... How is it even possible ??

34 Replies

Hey @Frankylone

It sounds like something has happened with your cached data. This can happen if you use a power-saving or cache-clearing app that suddenly removes the Spotify cached data. 

In order to solve this one, it's best to remove your device from offline devices here. Then reinstall the app just to be sure and download your music again. This may take a while for you, so make sure you're on a stable WiFi network while doing that. 

Let us know if there's anything else!

I just had the app send 2.5 g of downloaded music to the cache, and begin to download it all over again. the overall amount of gig used has, as you stated, remained the same. There is an "app stack app" installed in droid. Should I disable that? I just got turned on to Spotify... dig it so much.

Hey @Wog

If you're also experiencing this, then removing all apps that may be connected to or affecting Spotify is a good idea. Also make sure to follow the steps provided above. 

Let us know how it goes 🙂

i type a page of questions and this keeps calling me a robot, i lose every question i spent twenty minutes properly framing.  i respond to the survey that also refuses to send my response. gonna let it ride, to much time involved

Did anyone find a solution that sticks for this problem?

I have this for a long time now, over multiple Spotify Android app versions.

I have tried this proposed solution for a couple of times:

In order to solve this one, it's best to remove your device from offline devices here. Then reinstall the app just to be sure and download your music again

But it never helps. Each morning I turn on my phone, or each time a reconnect to a Wi-Fi network, it will start redownloading my offline music. An each such time, a new device is added to My Offline Devices in my Spotify account.

I have already removed Spotify from being backupped automatically by Titanium Backup, thinking TiBa might interfere, but to no avail.

Neither is there an app that automatically removes cache.

Hey there @deechtewber,

Thanks for reaching out! Sorry to hear your issue is still not resolved.

You can try the solutions from this article

Besides that, you could send us a screenshot of how your tracks appear after you've downloaded them. Let us know if you have an SD card as well.

We'll be keeping out an eye for your reply 🙂

PetyaModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Thank you Petya!

None of the remedies in the linked article suit my needs.

I'm attaching a couple of screenshots.

First screenshot is an example of one of my many playlists, all these songs in all these playlists have these proper green icons in front of them. Always.

Second screenshot is the maxed out list of offline devices in my account. This always fills up to 5 very fast after I delete them all, remove app data+cache and do a clean app reinstall.

Third screenshot is from the Android app details. It shows in Dutch that the app is installed to internal storage. I do have an SD card in my device, but don't use it to install apps. I've currently used 34GB from my device's 64GB internal memory, so there's never a need to use my SD card. It's not formatted as auxiliary internal storage either, in case you might wonder.

Screenshot_20191124-182638.png
Screenshot_20191124-203152.png
Screenshot_20191124-203419.png

This morning upon turning my phone on again, the same routine of redownloading everything. I checked and all songs had a grey icon in front of them, one by one gradually turning green.

Hey there @deechtewber,

Thanks for giving us more info and screenshots about this! 

Can you try the following steps:

1. Enable permission for storage option for Spotify. This can be accessed by going to Settings>Apps>Spotify>Permissions>Storage.
  2. Do a clean reinstall as explained here. 

Let's see if anything changes after that 🙂

PetyaModerator

Thank you for trying, but none of these things helped.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I had to do a factory reset because of a problem with a OTA software update for my device. After the factory reset, the problem with Spotify has not appeared again.

Hi @deechtewber,

Thanks for getting back to us! Sorry to hear the steps we provided didn't solve it. 

We appreciate you took the time to post what worked out for you in the end. This could help others in the long run as well. 

Let us know if you have more questions or something to share!

PetyaModerator

Happen to me too on android...

Same for my friend on iPhone, redownloaded songs after a week/month (don't know). I have around 50 playlists downloaded and every **bleep**ing day it download again and again some of this playlists 🙄.

Every month download around 3.5 GB of songs and all my songs are not more than 1GB at all I expect... 

All downloaded data are through mobile roaming data (now disabled for Spotify)! I know I can disable roaming data in app, but after I can't listen podcasts which don't have downloaded... 

Screenshot_2020-02-06-20-04-38-527_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
Screenshot_2020-02-06-20-04-45-452_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg
Screenshot_2020-02-06-20-04-21-062_com.miui.securitycenter.jpg

Hey there @mtrakal

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! 

We're currently aware that some users are experiencing the behavior you described. This is being currently investigated. 

We suggest you go to this Ongoing Issue and add your vote to it by clicking on the +VOTE

It'll also be useful to subscribe via the three-dots menu in the top right corner next to the title. That'll make sure you stay up to date with any relevant updates about this.

Hope you'll find this info useful. We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help.

I have been having this exact issue on my PC for years. I've reinstalled the program and I only use the account on my phone and my PC. I've also tried everything on this discussion but nothing has worked. I was on Spotify a few minutes ago with all songs fully downloaded. Then, I closed the program for like an hour, opened it again, and all songs were re-downloading once again...

Hi
Idid eventually get an explanation but not a fix and its only relevant if
your song files are stored on an external drive. Is this your case, or is
it something else?

Solved for the first time !
So whats happening here is your phone is set at automatically deleting cache files usually at midnight. So next day in morning all your songs will download again since cache files required to access the downloaded songs are deleted.
So to solve this, just go to your settings, search " Storage Booster " option, under that you will see an option of " Auto delete unnecessary data ", just disable this option. This will protect the cache data of your downloaded songs and they will never download again.
Try it and thank me later !

So whats happening here is your phone is set at automatically deleting cache files usually at midnight. So next day in morning all your songs will download again since cache files required to access the downloaded songs are deleted.
So to solve this, just go to your settings, search " Storage Booster " option, under that you will see an option of " Auto delete unnecessary data ", just disable this option. This will protect the cache data of your downloaded songs and they will never download again.

So nothing wrong with spotify here just one such Auto setting of android phones.

Suggested posts