Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Device

(Samsung Galaxy S10)

Operating System

(Android 10)

My Question or Issue

I do not have unlimited data, therefore I very strictly control the functions of my phone (ie only listening to downloaded podcasts when not connected to wifi).

Today while driving to work I completed an episode of Free Range American on Android Auto, only to have a "suggested song" begin to play at its conclusion. This creates a number of issues:

1.) Autoplay is disabled on my Spotify app.

2.) Data Saver is enabled on my Spotify app.

3.) The song that began to play wasn't one i would even remotely be interested in listening to. 

Anyone mind helping me figure out this issue?

9 Replies

Can I get an answer on this? Spotify just somehow managed to chew up 120mb of data from 4 seconds of playing music in the car when i didn't ask it to

Does it help to put the app in offline mode when listening in places you're not connected to wifi? A bit of a pain, but hopefully a fail-safe fix?

How would I go about doing that?

Settings - the cog icon, top right on the app homepage - then turn on offline mode.

Do you mean Data Saver? That's on. I'd hate to think how much I used if it hadn't been

Screenshot_20200727-173149_Spotify.jpg

No, it's separate to data saver. The setting is below data saver in the
settings menu. It's possibly only a Premium feature - in case you're not
using Premium?

Well that's ridiculous. Is it really that hard to understand that some people don't want to use mobile data?

Well - I guess I can see the use-case. If you want to play a particular song but minimse data useage, there's data saver - and if you just don't want to use data at all, there's offline mode. In a similar position to you (I don't have unlimited data, so am reasonably careful in how I use the app out and about) I have found both to be useful.

I've set Android Auto not to begin playing anything until I initiate it. Maybe that will help. 

I'm not really happy with the Spartan nature of Spotify but with more podcasts becoming exclusive to them its a necessary evil

Suggested posts