Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify mobile (Android) won't authenticate last.fm account

Solved!

Spotify mobile (Android) won't authenticate last.fm account

Hi there.

After the latest update to the Android version of Spotify, I have been having issues with getting my Android device to authenticate my last.fm account. Therefore I am also having problems scrobbling my music. Recently I also changed my password at last.fm due to the security breach they experienced.

The problem is as follows: Every time I enter my new password in my Android device to authenticate my last.fm account, Spotify "shortens" the password every time I navigate away from the settings page. It seems that only the first 10 letters or so of my password is constant. Therefore I always get a password error when Spotify attempts to scrobble music to last.fm.

I have NOT experienced these problems on my desktop using the ordinary Spotify client, which scrobbles just fine.

31 Replies

I've tried everything - using pull out keyboard, on-screen keyboard, clearing browser paswords, restarting Spotify.  Spotify keeps incorrectly autofilling my password, and won't let me scrobble to last.fm.  

I updated to 0.5.0.972 (on my Android 2.2 phone) here: https://www.spotify.com/us/download/previews - and in the new version of Spotify - I see no way to scrobble to last.fm at all.  Has the feature been removed?

Boo!

Hi there. After you have entered your username or password make sure to press the Enter key on the virtual keyboard to make sure the input is accepted by the app. Next, don't worry that the app is showing only 6 or 8 blanked characters as your password - it has saved the whole thing and this is just the default for security so others dont see the password length
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

I did press "Done", but still get the "Wrong username or password" error.

Also - ensure the username does not have a space at the end of it. I spent ages focusing on the password, and it was the username that turned out to be the issue.

As a heads up: Even the stock HTC Sense keyboard does not work with the last-fm credentials input.

Installing a stock ics/jb keyboard from the market solved the problem for me.

My problem was also a trailing space after the username. Thanks to people who suggested this, I've spent ages trying to fix it.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my htcevo v 4g and still get "last fm error, wrong username and/or password". Tried everything mentioned here and still wont work.

@Danimal1r wrote:

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app on my htcevo v 4g and still get "last fm error, wrong username and/or password". Tried everything mentioned here and still wont work.

Are you sure your details are correct and you have no trailing or leading spaces in either the username or password field? 

Do you have any special characters in your username or passwod?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I'm having the same issue.  It says wrong user name and passwork but everything is working. 

Great forum! Helped me a lot when trying to solve the last.fm authenticating problem. I also did have an extra space after the username. Do not remember typing it myself. Thanks people.

I've tried hitting done on the keyboard and checked my username for spaces but no luck. I gave up, turned off Spotify scrobbling and used the last.fm app instead, but Spotify keeps turning it back on and giving me the wrong username or password notification at inconsistent times, very annoying.

This is still not fixed in 5 years? My phone came with SwiftKey as default.

Suggested posts