Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify music listening level issue (Android)

Spotify music listening level issue (Android)

This is the second time I post something about this.

My concern is basically about audio levels for certain music albums (a lot actually), from a lot of rock bands (Metallica, Foo Fighters, Meshuggah and the list keeps going) or even in Hip Hop albums is lower than competing services on same settings. 320kbps
Only happens on Android
I've been using Deezer, Google Play Music All Access and Tidal in the last 3 months and I just came back to Spotify and the difference is very very noticeable. When I switched to Deezer I noticed it and I was able to test both services at the same time (free premium time, I think it's 15 days for the trial period and I still had a couple of days of subscription on Spotify). The test is easy to replicate, get the same song (use Wasting Light - Foo Fighters as reference), same speaker/headphone configuration and set the volume to a comfortable level on any service and hit play on it, then switch to other service with music still playing and hit play again (it automatically stops the other playback) listen to the same spot and do it over and over.
After the 2 week period I got accustomed to the level and switched to Google's all access and didn't notice and difference repeating the same test only this time was Deezer/all access. Then after a month I joined the trial for Tidal and did the same and no difference in audio levels.
Now I came back to Spotify as premium user (always been premium) and the difference is noticeable and also frustrating.
It's worth noting that I did the same thing on iOS (my brother has an iPhone) and couldn't get the same results. I also did it on PC and Mac and got nothing, but I tested other 2 Android devices and got the same results as with my personal phone.

The reason I keep coming back to Spotify is because I think it's the beat overall service.

I hope someone important reads this!

Thank you very much for reading this long post.
6 Replies

I only talked about Rock or Hip Hop but I'm pretty sure there are several albums on different genres with the same issue.

This issue is not solved. I think I misclicked on my phone and I can't change it back.

Hey @retractor

There was a recent volume issue in the Android app which is probably why you are having trouble.

An update came out recently that has fixed the problem for some people. If you are still having trouble just post back and I'll look into it for you.
MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Forgot to mention that the issue was due to a new bug in a recent update to the Spotify android app but should now be fixed in the latest update.

Not sure what was causing audio issues last year in your other thread.
MattSudaSpotify Star

Hi Matt,
Thank you for your response.
I think the issue I'm referring too is not related to a new bug or something like it. the only way you can replicate it is if you do the testing like I did.

Hmm... that's weird. I use the iOS app, but I thought that maybe the recent volume bug for the android app could be related so I thought it was worth mentioning, but I guess that's not the problem.

MattSudaSpotify Star

Suggested posts