Spotify not working on Wifi

Plan

Premium

Device

Oneplus 6

Operating System

Android 9 (Pie)

My Question or Issue

For a while now, spotify isn't working properly when my phone is connected to wifi. When I try to play anything, all songs are grayed-out and I get a message at the bottom saying "No internet connection available". All other apps such as the browser have no problem connecting to the internet, so it's definitely a bug with spotify.

When I switch to mobile data it does work.

When I re-install the app it does work intially but as soon as I disconnect from the wifi and reconnect it stops working again.

I've already tried to find a solution with google, I've tried clearing the cache, re-installing the app and even wiping the cache partition in recovery mode but nothing works. I'm kind of out of ideas at this point.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Whoops, I completely forgot about this thread.

I did find the problem in the end. It was a matter of settings in android having changed somehow.

In android settings go to "Apps&Notifications", there go to the Spotify App, then go to "Mobile data & Wi-Fi". There is an option "Wi-Fi disabled" which had somehow turned itself on for me. Once I turned it off, it worked fine!

View solution in original post

40 Replies

Hey there,

Welcome to the Community!

Have you tried by any chance connecting to a different WiFi connection and if so, does the issue persist there for your device?

If it works with another connection, it's best to contact the service provider of the original network for more information. For example, some shared or public networks (e.g. schools/work/office) might restrict access to certain services, which would explain what happened here.

If another WiFi doesn't do the trick, it'd be helpful to try logging in with a different Spotify account to check if it's an account related issue. If it works with another account, you can follow the steps in this Spotify Answer next. 

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treat others the way you want to be treated!
I can help in english, français or ελληνικά
Follow me on Spotify | What is a Community Star? Join us!

Hey, thanks for your reply.

I've tried several different wifi networks (home, work, friend's place) but it's always the same. Logging in with a different account also doesn't change anything. In fact, I cannot even get past the login screen on wifi, I can only log in when I'm on mobile data.

The problem appears to be stubborn.

Hey @JackFou Still having the issue?

Hey again @JackFou,

Thanks for getting back in touch!

You mention in your original message that you're on an Android Pie device. In this case, could you double check that WiFi network access is allowed for the app?

You can do that by heading to your phone's Settings, then tap Apps, again choose Apps, scroll till you find Spotify. In the app's page after you've clicked it, select Data Usage, then look for Network access: the WiFi setting needs to be toggled to allow. It should be something like that:

61845652_1891994414234844_4161469490418155520_n.jpg

If that still doesn't help, you can also try a clean reinstall of the app following the steps here.

Let me know how it goes!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Treat others the way you want to be treated!
I can help in english, français or ελληνικά
Follow me on Spotify | What is a Community Star? Join us!

I have the same problem with my iPhone... please help me fix this...

Hey there @Raynaldliedwyn

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this.

Just to confirm, have you tried the step with the clean reinstall? We recommend the clean reinstall as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. It'll also get you the latest version of Spotify. 

We also suggest you check if an anti-virus software isn't blocking the permissions for the Spotify-app.

Hope you'll find this info useful. We'll look out for your reply!

I have the same problem

Hello can u send me steps on how to do that
Marked as solution

Whoops, I completely forgot about this thread.

I did find the problem in the end. It was a matter of settings in android having changed somehow.

In android settings go to "Apps&Notifications", there go to the Spotify App, then go to "Mobile data & Wi-Fi". There is an option "Wi-Fi disabled" which had somehow turned itself on for me. Once I turned it off, it worked fine!

Spotify works on the web, and on the app (only on mobile data), however when i try use the app on my phone when connected to wifi it doesn’t work when all other apps are fine. I am on iphone and have clean installed removing cache etc

Hi

I did clean re-install, i checked dns and firewall settings of router and antivirus settings. There is still wi-fi connection problem on iphone 8. it still takes time to connect, waiting for "connecting". This is very annoying and solutions are not working!

Hi there @cozsoz,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

It's worth restarting your router to see if that does the trick. Also, can you let us know if the same happens with any other device connected to the same WiFi network?

We'd also like to know if you have the same issue on your iPhone when using a different WiFi network. This would help us narrow down the possible cause of the issue.

Keep us posted.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I don't see any such option in my android mobile, I use Samsung M31. Please help me resolve.

I don't have any antivirus software in my mobile. I restarted my wifi router, restarted my mobile and even I tried reinstalling the application twice by clearing all the cache, but it still says no internet connection when I connect with my wifi.

Hey there @Dhanushya_Kamalakann,

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Could you let us know if this happens with a different internet connection as well?

On another note, would you mind letting us know if this happens across devices or only on your phone?

We'll be on the lookout.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi @Eni, I face this issue only in my mobile phone samsung m31s when I connect with my wifi. It works fine with other devices with the same wifi connection. 

Hi there @Dhanushya_Kamalakann

Thanks for your quick reply 🙂 

Just to confirm, have you tried using a different internet connection on your phone to see if the issue persists?

On another note, you mentioned that you've already reinstalled the Spotify app, but would you mind going through the steps of a clean reinstall, as it's more thorough than a normal one?

If this doesn't do the trick, we suggest that you check if the OS of your phone has any pending updates. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi @Eni

I've tried all the steps mentioned here. Nothing works for me. On winodws, Linux and mac, it works properly with the wifi. However on my android device, it doesn't work with wifi but does work with mobile data. I've literally tried every single step mentioned here by you and different users but to no avail.

Kindly suggest a solution or let me know that dev team can't reproduce it or solve it so that i can switch to some other music app.

Hey @lazyassjoker,

Thanks for posting here.

Just to double-check - are there any changes when you try with another internet connection?

In case the issue persists, could you please share with us the following? We'll look into this further.

• The exact Spotify version that is running on your device
  • Device + OS version
  • The troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far
  • In case you get an error message - a screenshot of it
  • If using any ad-blockers or a VPN - to disable them to see if that helps

Keep us in the loop.

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts