Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Spotify or Android ?] Duplicate Offline storage - Internal & SD Card

[Spotify or Android ?] Duplicate Offline storage - Internal & SD Card

Dear community !

I'm owning a fresh new Galaxy S7 phone with a microSD Evo+ 128gb. This SD card is configured as "portable" and not "internal".

I've selected the option inside the Spotify app to store offline playlist and data into the SD card, what the app is doing well.

BUT, I've just noticed that Spotify is taking the same amount on both storage (internal and SD card)...

> 9Gb on SD card AND 9Gb on internal memory.

I've just checked and the option is still correctly configured in the app to save data in the SD Card so I can't figure it out why the Spotify App is still saving data on both storage...

Thanks for your help !

EDIT: It seems to be more an issue with Samsung or Marshmallow

16 Replies

"9Gb on SD card AND 9Gb on internal memory" - where are you getting this information from? Any chance of a screen capture?

For internal Storage
> Settings > Storage > Internal > Used Space > Apps > Spotify

For SD Card is pretty the same way OR you can go into the Spotify App in the "selection storage" section and it will show how much the app is storing on the one you choose.

See screenshots (texts are in french).

1. Internal view

2. App view

EDIT: resized screenshot

Screenshot_20160726-113946.png
Screenshot_20160726-114020.png

Merci. I'm seeing this on my S7 too and I wonder if there's something strange about the way the phone reports memory usage. If you open the samsung file manager "My Files" and find the folder android\data\com.spotify.music in device storage then long touch on this folder, select more/details, you'll probably see that the folder size is just a few KB, as I do.

Repeat on the same folder on the SD card and you'll find that it is several GB. So spotify isn't duplicating the cache but there's something not quite right with the way the phone reports memory usage. Not sure if this is a marshmallow thing or the way samsung have modified it.

Yes, you're probably right; same for me here...

It's pretty strange because this "save used" is took in the sum up for what I can place on the phone or not (even if those 9GB are kind of ghosty)...

But I think we can say it's pretty not Spotify app.

> I'll search for Samsung/Marshmallow issue on this "Internal To SD moving app"

Thanks for you feedback !

Hey, if you find out anything about this strange used storage reporting, I'll be interested to hear. I searched Google without any luck so far.

This isn't a solved issue and it needs to be addressed. My phone says that 11GIGS of internal memory is being used and 8 gigs of that is Spotify (to be clear, it says 8 gigs of INTERNAL memory). When I check the app, most of that 8 gigs now shows as being  on the SD card.

How long before this error in reporting causes the phone to say there is no more space?

2016-07-27 13.14.50.png
2016-07-27 13.15.04.png
2016-07-27 13.16.17.png

2016-07-27 13.16.23.png

Yeah, I'm starting to think this is a spotify bug but I've no idea where the OS gets its storage usage data from. Seem illogical that it would rely on apps reporting in but I guess anything is possible.

I've made a test with aother Android SD card phone (One plus)

This issue isn't showing up with this smartphone on android 5 fr the same spotify app version.

So, possibilities :

* Android 6 has some issue with SD card moving apps (++)

* An issue with Samsung phones (-)

* This issue is due to a Spotify bug but random (+)

Due to the fact the Spotify App has the correct amount of memory, store the data on the right place (SD Card) et the file explorer manually shows up the there are nothing inside the internal memory; It's more to be an issue with Android 6 than with Spotify App. (The file explorer is independant from Spotify)

UNLESS !!

> The option to move data to the SD Card from spotify app create some kind of "shortcut" into the Spotify folder (on the internal memory) to the place where it's data is stored (SD Card) and so, Android storage manager sees it as the space used following the shortcut instead of the place the shortcut itself takes.

I don't get this on a Samsung Tab S running lollipop.

Is there already a solution for this problem?

I've updated my phone to Android 7 and get the last version of Spotify App.

The probleme still exist with my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

The application takes 11Gb, which should be moved to SD Card (setting from Spotify App) but Android is still showing off those data as "Internal Storage".

I've got so 11Gb took away from my 32Gb internal memory + 11Gb took the same way on my SD Card, so total of 22Gb (duplicate data) even with the correct option in the Spotify App ("Move to SD Card").

If I delete the Spotify data stored in my internal memory, All my playlists have to be re-downloaded again, even if the spotify app still detects 11Gb data on the SD card.

So, from this side, I can say that the "Move to SD Card" option is just not working at all...

Same issue here. Solutions anyone?

Seems not...

Spotify is the only app causing me this issue.

All other bigs apps which can be moved to SD card, such as Occulus Games per example, does move correctly without leaving duplicated data on both supports.

Still nothing? Same problem here

Suggested posts