Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify pauses music and disconnects from device

Spotify pauses music and disconnects from device

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Google Pixel 3, Google Pixel 3A

Operating System

Android 10

My Question or Issue

Spotify frequently pauses what is playing at random. When I hit play, it has disconnected from the device. I have reinstalled the app, cleared the cache, checked that battery optimization for Spotify is off, and even did a hard reset on the phone. This is when connected via Chromecast Audio or Google Nest Home Mini speaker.

The Spotify app is so buggy for Android I'm considering switching to a different music service.

32 Replies

Hi again @chrismalla

Thank you for getting back to us with this info.

In this case, we'd recommend making sure that Spotify is allowed to run in the background on your phone.

Let us know how it goes. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It looks like turning off "Battery Optimization" off for Spotify made a big difference and the problem seems to be resolved. For what is worth, the iPhone i mentioned in the earlier post was using a different Spotify account. Thanks. 

Hey @patcorn

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. 

That's great news! Give us a shout if you experience this again - we're always here to help.

Еnjoy your music! 

Hello, unfortunately the issue has come back. I have not changed the battery settings or any other settings. It now happens pretty consistently and pauses playback but does not disconnect from the chromecast audio. Usually it happens sometime midway through playing the second song after connecting to the chromecast audio. Any thoughts on how to resolve this? Thank you!

Hi there @patcorn,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Sorry to hear the issue is back. 

Can you try to connect all your devices to a mobile hotspot? This way you can check if the issue if coming from your network set us, as you've mentioned that this is happening when your casting from multiple phones.

We'll be on the lookout to your reply.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Is there any solution here? I’m having this same issue. Not using any battery optimizer software. 

iphone 11 

phone is up to date (14.7.1)

Hi @AshleyP1,

Thank you for posting on this thread. 

Could you confirm if you've followed the troubleshooting steps shared by other mods across this thread? If not, please give them a try and let us know how it turns out for you. 

If the issue persists, please let us know what's the device you're using to play your music, this can help us investigate further. 

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator

for what it is worth, i haven't experienced the issue lately. it got better when i adjusted the battery savings settings, but didn't completely go away. then one day after several weeks, i realized that it hadn't happened in a while. so unfortunately i can't really say what fixed the issue for me. good luck! 

Hey @patcorn,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the community!

This might be helpful for other users who encounter similar issues 🙂

Cheers.

AlexModerator

Spotify disconnects every 15 minutes. Podcasts or music. I have done everything suggested and it won't stop. None of my other apps do this. 

Hey @ncataldo!

What device are you using to stream music / podcasts from? Feel free to also let us know:

• Your phone's make, model and OS version.
  • The version of Spotify you're running.

Thanks!

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

I have had this problem for a loooong time too. Almost gave up on Spotify in all the frustration.
Tried all the above suggestions, nothing worked.
Stumbled upon a possible workaround until they fix it:
Turn off Wifi on streaming device.
Connect to bluetooth device.
Start listening to Spotify.
Once it starts playing you can turn on Wifi again...

Does it work for you guys too?

this is still a huge problem with my account.

I'm using Spotify Premium on my iPhone and it stops in the middle of a track with no logical reason whatsoever. 

Any reply from Spotify tech support team? 

Suggested posts