Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify plays on both phone and computer at the same time

Solved!

Spotify plays on both phone and computer at the same time

Sometimes when I get to work, stop listening to Spotify on my phone, and start listening using the desktop app on my computer, it starts playing through my phone's speakers as well as through the computer.

It can be quite embarrassing as I'm wearing earphones and it usually takes me a minute or two to figure out that the whole office has been listening to whatever I've chosen to put on to get me through the morning.

Any ideas or advice would be welcome.

Samsung s7; Android version 6.0.1

Spotify app (on phone): 7.8.607 armV7

Spotify app (on PC [Windows 7 Ultimate]): 1.0.49.125.g72ee7853

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I was trying to point out subtly that there is already an existing thread on this issue. It's counter-productive to start a new thread so, if you still have problems, please post there.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

On the desktop version and the mobile version you are able to choose which device playback is on, This is usually done at the bottom of the application on both platforms under the track play bar or somewhere along the bottom of the program. You can manually go in there and select which device you are wishing to play on, i.e. samsung device, desktop (usually identified by how the administrator named the device in the preferences). 

Another option to do this is to force quit it before choosing to play music on another device so it doesn't accidentally come across both, what is probably happening is your phone is not connected to the same network as the computer so they don't communicate like they normally would whilst being on the same wifi/mobile network, stopping playback automatically.

You could also mute the volume on the desktop itself when firing up spotify for the first time.. or by going in to the spotify app on the desktop and turning volum all the way down.

Great news is you have lots of options moving forward! Let me know if this helps please, also if it fixes your issues, please select "solution " so other users experiencing the same issues as you can see solved problems quickly. Hope this helps!

Best,

ibonsall14

I have the exact same problem. I am fully aware of the option to chose which device to play from, but the problem is that spotify choses to play from two devices at the same time. I have to pause the music on the phone, and then it continues on the pc. 

Samsung s6; Android version 6.0.1

Spotify app (on phone): 8.4.0.539 armV7

Spotify app (on PC [Windows 7 Ultimate]): 1.0.53.758.gde3fc4b2

This just happened to me too, at work. Super embarassing. My coworkers had to alert me as I couldn't hear with my headphones on!

Until you figure out the bug...I would use cordless headphones while I
silence the computer by plugging in anything into the jack for headphones
on it; by default it doesn't broadcast out loud. Hopefully your co-workers
appreciate your music. And Spotify!

According to the main thread, this should now be fixed.

It is not fixed just had the same issue, literaly a minute ago.

Marked as solution

I was trying to point out subtly that there is already an existing thread on this issue. It's counter-productive to start a new thread so, if you still have problems, please post there.

Hi Joe,

I appreciate your linking to the existing thread. I did do a search on this before posting (believe it or not, I find it easier to use an already discovered solution than take the time to describe my problem and wait for replies!). The existing thread doesn't specify that the music plays through both the phone and the computer, causing me to believe my issue was perhaps different.

Either way, I haven't had the problem since the update so here's hoping.

Fingers crossed 🙂

Suggested posts