Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stopping mid song on my Android phone

Spotify stopping mid song on my Android phone

I can't figure out what is causing it, I can't even get through one song before it shuts off.  This is a new problem, as I have used it on my phone for months without issues, and first noticed this problem yesterday.

Doesn't matter if it is streaming or offline, gets through about a minute or so of a song, then turns off.

I thought it could be "Advanced Task Killer" somehow turning it off, so I uninstalled it, with no luck.  I have also reinstalled spotify  but the problem remains.

Could it have something to do with my phone entering "sleep" mode?  Any idea as to a fix?

9 Replies

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved.

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Thanks Daniel.

I searched around the internet for awhile but wasn't able to find any solution to my issue (I found similar problems, but their solutions did not work for me).

I followed the uninstall/reinstall instructions on the [GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android thread with no luck.

Problem:

Spotify stops mid song when playing music, usually around a minute or 2 into a song (sometime sooner), so the first song does not even finish.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?:

First I load up spotify, chose a song to play, set my phone down, and in a minute or 2 the music sudenly stops.

Upon examaning my phone, the Spotify ap is still on, but the song is now "reset" back to the begining.

What I expected to happen:

Music to play uninterrupted.  This issue first started yesterday, before I had zero problems with phone ap.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes, including checking for com.spotify folder and removing battery

Device

Galaxy SIII

Android Version 4.4.2

I have a Premium account.

Storage:

4.85 GB free on phone (out of 16GB total)

1.32 GB free on SD card (out of 1.86GB  total)

Not Rooted, no custom ROMs

Whatever the default storage location is.

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

My mobile Spotify version

Newest, 2.1.0.903

My mobile provider and country

Verison, USA

My username

jinif11

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify login

I am having the same exact issue. Is there really no resolution for this? I came over to Spotify from rdio, and Spotify is absolute garbage compared to rdio. I will probably cancel my premium account unless this is resolved in the next couple of days.

In my case I fixed the problem with changed settings in CleanMaster:

Me - Settings - Phone Boost: Auto Battery Saver OFF.

(Just had realized that the problems occured also in other music apps and even the flashlight turned itself off after some time...)

I use this app and am having the identical issue. I suspected maybe this was the issue as when I the screen on and on Spotify or wouldn't turn off... Will try and get back to forum with results.

FYI -running Samsung Galaxy S6 with latest android 6.1 and Spotify on we network. Similar issue seemed to happen on Google play music which caused me to cancel my subscription.

Actually... It seems that I don't use the app but I use CM Security so maybe that's the issue. Can't find anything in settings though...

Just started having similar issues after updating to Marshmallow. I have an S5 and have been a premium subscriber for over a year with no issues playing back previously. It happens randomly. Can be playing fine for ages then suddenly stops. Can be playing for 10-15 minutes and then stops. There's no rhyme no reason and I have my songs saved to SD card. I have to force close the app and wait a bit before re-opening. If I go straight back in the screen is black  and nothing will appear.

I love it when a plan comes together!!!

Is your power saving mode on?

I recently bought a new Samsung phone and initially Spotify was working perfectly on it. Then I put it on power saving mode because I had a busy day ahead of me and I had no charger, so I thought this may preserve my charge. But as I set out off for my day, I tried listening to my spotify, but like in your case, it stopped playing mid song.

It got very frustrating, so I googled for any solutions. I read through all the forums, none of them helped.

And then it dawned on me, 'it might have something to do with the fact I've put it on power saving mode'. And it was! Its working fine again now!

I'm having the same problem but its stopping on particular songs. It first happened when I switched to premium about a month ago

It started off as one song ( which I took off my songs section as i wasn't listening to it anymore anyway)
And since happens on two particular songs which is very annoying because I like them 😂

Please someone have a solution cause im getting very fed up.

Suggested posts