Premium

Country

The Netherlands 

Device

ACER A3-A20 FHD tablet

Operating System

Android 4.4.2

My Question or Issue

The app restarts every time when the tablet wakes-up from screen saving.

This also happens when another app is activated, and Spotify is put back on the foreground again: the music stops, and Spotify is restarted after some seconds. You have to start the music again (it restarts with the last track played back).

This happens after the most recent update.... my other devices have no problems at all...

9 Replies

Hey, thanks for reaching out.

I know it sounds simple, but it's often overlooked. Could you try restarting your device? If that doesn't help, try a quick clean reinstallation of the app. Just follow the steps here.

If you're still having trouble, could you let me know the exact version of Spotify and the exact version of the operating system you're running?

I'll see what I can suggest!

Thanks for your quick reply!

I have removed -> rebooted (after emptying the cache) -> reinstalled the Spotify app, and it still crashes after starting other apps (Spotify still running on the background), and putting back Spotify to the foreground.

It always crashes as soon as the screen is re-activated after it went into saving mode.

So still no solution ....

I have done some more investigation:

1. The music continues playing on the background (and during screensaving) only when the HOME screen of Spotify app is selected. 

2. The app crashes immediately when switching from the HOME screen to the actual played track (at the bottom of the screen). Normally the artist's artwork is displayed at the right of the track info.

3. Thwe app RESTARTS when swiping to the next track. The screen is returned to the HOME screen, and you have to manually start the music (play icon at the right bottom)...

This only happens on the ACER device... my other devices (Lenovo smartphone, ASUS tablet, Lenovo tablet) are working fine...

I hope that this information is useful to find the cause for this bug.

I have attached two screenshots of the HOME screen and the artwork screen of the track that is currently played...

Screenshot_2018-07-08-13-53-16.png
Screenshot_2018-07-08-13-53-29.png

Hey @tomsat50,

Thank you for your reply!

Please could you also include the model of your device, the exact version of Spotify and your Operating System?

Thanks in advance 🙂

This is the device info:

Device

ACER A3-A20 FHD tablet

Operating System

Android 4.4.2

Spotify app version

Regards, Tom

Hey @tomsat50,

Could you tell how much memory do you have available on your device when this happens? Is Spotify the only app open when this happens?

Also, does it happen with any other streaming apps?

Thanks in advance 🙂

At first, I have uninstalled the app and I have inserted a brand new microSD card.

The uninstall was not properly carried out with an error message (cannot uninstall app). However, the app appeared to be uninstalled after a reboot.

Next, I have re-installed the app. After the configuration of the app. another error appeared (only once, see attachment). It tells me that I should upgrade my Android version which is not applicable: my version is 4.4.2 which is higher that 4.1....

The app. works without any further error message after restarting it.

The crash / restart problem is still present! Easy to verify when you swipe to the next track as I have mentioned earlier...

No other apps are running (at least, not manually started by me, some processses will always run in the background).

Another problem (was present prior to the current crashes)  is that the SD card is not used at all for the offline download! You even cannot choose the option to select the storage location (as in my other devices).

That is why I have inserted a new card (32 GB, whereby the tablet only has 16 GB so the 'larger' memory location should be selected as I have read in this community).

The 2nd screenshot shows the actual memory usage of the app.

Very strange that this app has always worked fine on this device, with the exception that I never could download the off-line content to the SD card...

Screenshot_2018-07-09-13-29-25.png
Screenshot_2018-07-09-13-39-56.png

Anything new about this issue??

I have the same problem when playing offline with my downloaded playlist.

The app restarts when tapping on the bottom part of the screen (with the text of which track is currently playing). Normally you will see the artwork and the controls pause - next track - previous track (at the left of the screen, see my screenshots in this thread).

The same happens when swiping to the next or previous track.....

I have NEVER had this problem before on this device, so it definitely is a bug introduced in the newest version of the app (8.4.61.683).

I surely hope that this will be fixed soon!

I am VERY disappointed that this problem is still not fixed.

Several app updates have passed in the mean time, but none of them have any improvement at all regarding this issue.

I have noticed that several other Spotify users have similar problems, so I really wonder why no effort is made to fix them.

I am a premium user for quite some time, so are a lot of others among us as well.

So please try to fix this very ennoying problem. 

At least I would have some feed-back at all, no one of the support team is responding any more...

Suggested posts