Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stops playing songs and freeze

Spotify stops playing songs and freeze

Randomly spotify just freeze and stops playing songs. it happens with WIFI, 3g, with downloaded songs and online songs and not only when a song ends, it freezes in middle of the songs too. 

i already tried reinstalling the app 3 times, clearing cache, moving the songs to the SD and the internal storage. also i tried a factory reset for my phone and did nothing.

i only could not try if it only happens with bluetooth connection (i use it in the car), but the stereo works fine with other players so i dont think that is the issue.

i have android 4.4.4, the phone is a Moto G 2014, and spotify 2.5.0.942 downloaded from the play store.

i leave a pic i took when it freezes and what it shows, the only way to make it work again is wait 1 min or 2 to start alone ... or kill the process and start spotify again wich it is really annoying while driving.

sorry for bad writting, english is not my native languaje.

some help please? thanks.

Screenshot_2015-04-11-17-12-29.png

16 Replies

Same problem with me..

Same with me to pretty much. Im using a LG lucid 2 with android jelly bean. It just stops playing randomly

When I first got Spotify it ran on an old Sony Erikssen and although at that point it didn't keep my place when I stopped for a period of time (feature added in later), it never gave me any problems with the feedback.

But then Spotify decided that the way to make their product better was to pack it with features you didn't want.

It's been since they introduced Connect that most of the slowness / hanging issues have happened.

if it helps with something, i formated the SD card and it still happens, but less i think 😕 ... also i learned that if it stops playing you should not touch anything, just let it start alone, all i get when i touch next or pause or stop is freeze it more. its really frustraiting and the support of spotify is doing nothing but tell us to format our phones over and over again.

So it's freezing up again and so I try to go to my options to enter offline mode.

But guess what. When I got to options all I get is a stupid whirling green ring.

YOU ARE BUSY??? BUSY DOING WHAT???? I AM THE MASTER I CONTROL YOU YOU DON'T CONTROL ME.

5 minutes later and still whirling away.

BY THE WAY YESTERDAY YOU DELETED ONE OF MY PLAYLISTS THAT I DID NOT DELETE.

"im the master" .. lol .. so why the **bleep** there is no admin or support team seeing this thread? .. how do we get support ?

We don't.

Just now I came out of offline mode just so it could "commit" my removals from my offlined playlist. Then went back to offline mode a few seconds later.

Then went to the other playlist I want to play to simply load and listen to. Shoudln't be an issue. Firstly I listened to it earlier today, secondly it's one of only 3 I have offlined so in offline mode really those should be all I can listen to... Simple?

No. Doesn't load it but instead goes into a mighty hang, again, with a black screen and whirly green thing.

Seems to be a bug in the latest version. You can try rolling back until it is fixed using the links in my signature to get a previous version.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

How about you lot rolling back? That's what we'd do here where I work if we put out such a buggy release.

By the way, if you develop using dependency injection it will make it a lot easier to roll back faulty componenets without having to roll back the entire release.

@EarlPurple wrote:

How about you lot rolling back? That's what we'd do here where I work if we put out such a buggy release.

By the way, if you develop using dependency injection it will make it a lot easier to roll back faulty componenets without having to roll back the entire release.

"you lot"???? Are you aware this is just a support community? I'm a paying user just like yourself, was just trying to offer a temporary work-around to give you th service back.

Android Troubleshooting:

Your avatar made you come across as someone official.

How do I roll back my mobile client to the last version before Spotify Connect came into existence. It worked very well at that point.

Event going offline doesn't stop the constant stop-start now and also causes it to lose my place when it stops.

@EarlPurple wrote:

Your avatar made you come across as someone official.

How do I roll back my mobile client to the last version before Spotify Connect came into existence. It worked very well at that point.

Event going offline doesn't stop the constant stop-start now and also causes it to lose my place when it stops.

No worries. You can find a repository of most versions of the ap (including before connect) in the link in my signature.

Android Troubleshooting:

I will see if I can install that on my android and make it work. Not sure how to do that. I don't browse this from the device.

My workaround today was to actually deactive network mode on the device altogether. Obviously that means I have to reactivate it if I want to use it for e-mail or whatever but I can still use it as a phone. In particular the thing I like about listening on a phone is Ihat I don't miss inbound calls.

I have a new phone as well as an old one and I use spotify on the old one. (Samsung Galaxy SIII) and I don't use facebook or other stuff on the phone to try to limit the device usage.

Spotify is not the only one guilty of spamming your device with stuff you don't want to be running and hogging its resources. google is very very guilty of that. Unfortunately so are all the others I know of.

I am a software developer. And there are several primary blunders that are common in software development:

- Speed is everything

- Disk usage is slow and memory is fast. So I'll pack as much as I can into memory.

- Starting up is slow. So I'll just keep everything running so if you want it it will be up and ready for you.

- More is better. Therefore my software is better tnan yours because mine can do something yours can't. (I have more features than you).

Let's see the issues with that:

- Low latency can be important but it isn't necessary the case that you need super-fast latency. There is an amount of time the user is prepared to wait, and an amount of time they won't even notice.

- Disk usage over a network can be slow but disk usage if done well isn't necessarily necesarily slow. Disk usage has 2 huge advantages though. Firstly there's a lot more of it and it's relatively cheap and can be upgraded a lot more easily. Secondly it's persistent. Which will take us onto the next issue.

- It's slow only when initialisation means loading a load of things. Or if you insist on having to download a load of updates regularly. Like a live system. And then if you insist on loading everything up-front rather than making use of lazy evaluation, as well as a sate so you request only what you have not yet received as a single package.

- More often means more usage of resources. Consider having a basic product with optional add-ons. Users get the add-ons only if they want them.

For me what matters is:

- Downloaded music plays smoothly like it would with no network connection whether I have one or not.

- The app is responsive. When I open Settings it opens quickly. When I want to pause the music it appears tos top the moment I press the button.

- Start-up is reasonably fast such that I can respond with the app.

I am considering deleting most of my playlists because I have hundreds of them. They get archived on "the cloud" anyway so I can restore them. It would be nicer if there were an easier way to export them in bulk locally. I will see if that improves anything.

I might have solved the problem, please give me feedback as you tried the method i'll be mentioning about whether it works
Follow this steps on your device:
Settings>Battery>Details> there you look at spotifty's setting, there must be an option like that: "enable background playing"
I'm using a Meizu MX6, so settings part must be different on each device, but the path must be similar to that

I just did that to me.

Stopped playing a song and went into a whirl. Always on the same song, around the same place. I had to kill the app. I couldn't even get it to start on a different song.

I asked long ago to have a feature to fix a broken download, i.e. force redownload the song..

Nobody listened.

Over two years later and I'm just starting to have this problem, nothing I've done fixes it

Suggested posts