Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stops streaming and crashes

Spotify stops streaming and crashes

Hi everybody,

just wondering, am I the only one who's Spotify keeps stopping streaming and then crashing so that I have to constantly reboot my phone (Android)? Have reinstalled it like three times now but it still hasn't improved.

Please help!

Cheers

Sara

18 Replies

Hi.
Been using spotify on android alot the past few days without problem.
What version of android are you using? Phone model? And what about storage space available on your phone - sometimes an app will crash if it runs out of storage space.
☆✩✪ Want to help out? Become a Spotify Rock Star today! ✪✩☆
Jag svarar på svenska via pm eller via twitter

Binaural track - listen with headphones with good volume!

Hi thanks for the reply.

It's Android 4.4.2 on a Samsung Galaxy S2. Got like 8 GB on both internal storage and SD card available so that shouldn't be an issue? 

Funny, you have the same phone and android version as me!
You might want to un-install spotify, find and delete all remaining folders to make sure no defunct files remains. Then re-install spotify. Sometimes this helps.

That is indeed funny! Actually thinking about buying a new phone currently, but I can't decide...

anyway, off topic 🙂

I can't find any folders or files related to Spotify on my phone, maybe because I have just reinstalled it a couple hours ago.

Since it appears to be working on your phone it has got to be a problem with my account. I couldn't find a way to contact someone from the Spotify support team, or am I just being too stupid? 🙂

Since the app crashes I'd be surprised if it'd have anything to do with your account.
Usually, the best way of getting help is through this forum, but if you want to contact spotify staff, you can use this form:
https://www.spotify.com/us/about-us/contact/contact-spotify-support/?contact
If you get an automatic response reply to it, even if it says "no-reply" and someone will get intouch with you.

Best of luck.

Cheers Fred, just done that.

If you're interested I can keep you updated on the case 🙂

It'd really be great if you get this solved!
Once solved, it's very appreciated if you post your solution in this thread. That way others with the same problem can find the solution.

Btw: welcome to the forum! Should have told you that in my first post - totally forgot.

Thanks - I feel very welcome already 😉

I would try removing your SD card, then re-installing Spotify (so the cache is made on internal storage) and see if you get the same issue?

Once you have opened Spotify and listened to a track, you can put your SD card back in.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi Peter

I have now tried that and so far the app hasn't crashed 🙂 Haven't been able to listen for longer than 5 minutes yet though. I will get back to you in case it does but for now thank you for your help!

Let me know! 😉

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

It has done it again 😞

Just wondering how you are running android 4.4.2 on an S2 - custom ROM? Spotify won't support custom ROMs so it may be worth flashing the last stock ROM (4.1 I believe?) then see if it behaves any better.

You may be right but considering the earlier reply from FredJ saying he's running the same operating system on the same phone without causing any problems on Spotify I'm not sure whether that is an issue...?

And I am honest -  I really can't be bothered changing my operating system 😄

Custom rom's are not the issue. I tinker a lot with my phone swapping out roms and kernels every so often. Never had an issue with Spotify related to my android system setup. Apps, like Spotify, doesn't support any os, they support a feature set within the os.

Can you make a few songs offline, then listen to those while offline, to make sure that it's only streaming that's affected? Also, try to change the state of your location settings from off to on, or on to off (i.e. From whatever state it is currently in) to rule out location related issues.

Did you ever get an answer to your report to Spotify?

I am not entirely sure where to find the location settings? 

I think there might be a different issue with the app, not just related to streaming. I just started to download a playlist (to try the offline mode thing) and it crashed again, although I wasn't streaming music. 

I got a reply from Spotify but for now they've just asked for the Spotify version and so on... 

Location settings: press menu choose settings. Scroll down a bit, there should be an item named location or location services or location setting...or similar. Choose this an you get an on/off switch.

It's a good idea to let the support team help you as best they can before trying anythiing else (the location switching doesn't hurt anything so you can try this without fear).

Best of luck! And remember that support cases can take up to two weeks in rare cases so please don't give up just 'cos time is ticking. I hope you have alternative ways of reaching your music while you wait.

I am pretty sure I don't have this setting... seems like you have discovered something there 😉

I will let you know once I solved the mystery!

Suggested posts