Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify swithes to internal storage after restart (COST ME MONEY!)

Spotify swithes to internal storage after restart (COST ME MONEY!)

After I restarted my phone, my Spotify app switches to internal storage instead of SD-card, downloading all of my 3000+ songs again. This was only an annoyance before, since it fills up my internal storage to the max. But today it also cost me money, because it happened at work where I am not connected to WiFi.

I have my app set to download using cellular because I occasionally download a song when I'm in the train or something. Now my bundle is done. Thank you very much Spotify. I am not happy.

Not only that, but this issue has already been addressed in freakin' 2016 [1], which topic is closed WITHOUT REPLY

PLEASE. FIX. THIS.

Or give a workaround.

Samsung Galaxy A8

256 GB SD card

Android Pie 9.0

[1] https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Storage-changed-after-every-Restart/td-p/1395877

10 Replies

Hey there @iGrasmat,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

Our tech folks are aware and currently looking into this issue.

We'd recommend heading over to this thread and adding your +VOTE to stay updated with any news we have to pass on. It'd be also helpful leaving a comment there with the required info.

Hope this helps clarify things! 

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

Hi guys.

My issue happens when I use another App (like my PC) beside my mobile. 

Hey @ludomir_,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here! We're happy to help.

Just to make sure that we're on the same page - do you mean that the storage location on your phone switches from SD card to internal, when you use the app on you desktop? There shouldn't be a way for the app on one device to influence the storage setting of an other. Could you post the make and model of your devices, their OS versions and the versions of the Spotify app? A recording of the issue would also help us a lot in identifying the root cause of the problem. You can use the Attach Video option in the post editor, just make sure to hide any private/sensitive information.  

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply! Keep us posted, if you have any questions. 

Mihail Moderator

Hi Mihail.

We are on the same page. I will try to attach the evidence but here are the steps in order to reproduce the issue:

• In a new mobile device, download the Spotify app. Log in to it.
  • Set the storage to SD.
  • Go to your library and in your liked library, set the value to download them.
  • In the PC, download the App and login to it.
  • Reboot the Mobile device.

The behavior expected would be: In the mobile app settings, the storage settings will be "both" checked, and the library will be downloading again all the songs.

My mobile device is a Moto G7 Plus with Android 10. My PC is a Macbook Pro with a 10.15.6 SO version installed.

This issue will not happen if in the PC you are using the web version of the Spotify.

Update:

The storing settings from SD to internal reset when the Play Store installs
an update of the app.

Hey @ludomir_,

Thanks for the info and latest follow-up!

Jumping in with @Mihail to get a second look into this. Speaking of the expected behavior of your G7 and the fact that the storage settings should be both checked, do you maybe have a chance to test what happens if you try to install Spotify from scratch on another similar device?

Asking this since it's not unlikely that the app's storage setting switches to Internal by default upon the app being freshly installed and it'd be helpful to see what happens in more than one case when trying.

We'll keep an eye on your reply and do our best to help. 

Cheers!

Mario Moderator

Well, it seems that it is related to the loading sequence when the cell
phone is turning on. At the moment when Spotify starts, it lost the
external card reference.

My Moto G7 doesn't allow to install apks in the external storage, for
example.

Hey @ludomir_,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

If the storage setting get reverted upon a restart of the phone it's more likely that you're experiencing a case of this Ongoing Issue, rather that the root cause of the problem lying with your desktop.

To test this further, could you let us know if this happens if you set the storage on your phone to the SD card and restart the device, while the app is uninstalled from your PC?

Keep us posted. We're always one reply away 🙂

Mihail Moderator

Hi.

I checked and it happened too. I uninstalled the app from my PC and used
only the app. Kaboom: one day comes and the storage was changed from SD to
internal 😞

Hey @ludomir_,

Thanks for testing it out and getting back to us with the result.

All the troubleshooting so far points out that most likely your experiencing this Ongoing Issue. Make sure to +VOTE and subscribe to it, if you haven't already, we'll keep you posted with any news on the matter there, as soon as there are any.

In the meantime it's a good idea to always keep the app up to date with the latest version, so that you can make use of any updates and hotfixes as soon as there are any.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted if you have any questions.

Mihail Moderator

Suggested posts