Country

Sweden

Device

Asus Zenfone Max Pro

Operating System

LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8.1.0)

My Question or Issue

Since version 8.5.10.154 I get the following message:

"Spotify won't run without Google Play Services, which are not supported by your device."

I can work around it by pressing the Android back button and the transparent activity containing the dialog disappears and I can continue using the app.

It is annoying, however, and I my big concern is that this is a hint that Google Play Services will actually be required in a future version. Please, don't go down that route as it will push me and many others away from using Spotify.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: Spotify without Google Play Services

Hey @joelpet.

Thanks for posting about this in the Community.

It seems that updating to the latest version of the app has resolved this issue for users in a similar thread, so hopefully that should do the trick.

Let us know if you have any other questions! We'll be here to answer them :)

PeterModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"It's my job to see the world and report back. It's my job to feel things fiercely.
And it's my job to be present." - Maggie Rogers
2 Replies
Solution!

Hey @joelpet.

Thanks for posting about this in the Community.

It seems that updating to the latest version of the app has resolved this issue for users in a similar thread, so hopefully that should do the trick.

Let us know if you have any other questions! We'll be here to answer them :)

PeterModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"It's my job to see the world and report back. It's my job to feel things fiercely.
And it's my job to be present." - Maggie Rogers
Highlighted

joelpet
Casual Listener

Hi Peter,

I can confirm that the immediate issue has been resolved in version 8.5.11.262 or earlier, i.e. there's no longer any UI prompting about Google Play Services. Thank you for that.

With regards to the future availability of Spotify on Android Open Source Project distributions free from Google, I am still a little worried. However, that is perhaps a more general concern about the platform itself so I'll mark this one as solved.

Best regards,

Joel

SUGGESTED POSTS