Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't download songs locally, download using cellular option already enabled

Spotify won't download songs locally, download using cellular option already enabled

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a new Sony Xperia XA Ultra phone - it comes with Spotify already bundled with it. Being a premium user for some time now, I did the following steps in order to have my existing playlists / songs synced to my new device, so I can listen to them offline:

1. Updated the phone to the newest available OS - as of now, it is running Android Marshmallow
  2. Updated Spotify to the newest version available in Google Play Store
  3. Cleared up my list of offline devices in the Spotify account overview web page
  4. Reformatted the SD card - it now has a good 14.8 GB worth of free space
  5. Ran Spotify for the first time on the phone - logged in using my Facebook account
  6. Changed the download storage to SD card
  7. Logged out and in again from the Spotify app
  8. Enabled the "download using cellular" option from the options menu
  9. Navigated to Your Library->Songs, and turned on the "Downloading" option

Despite performing these however, I noticed that Spotify doesn't begin to download my songs. I can see them, but they are not available offline (the arrow to the left of each song is not green). If I play a song though, the app downloads it, and it will be available offline. I have more than a thousand songs, I don't want to go over them one by one. I was expecting a prompt from the app that it is downloading, but none of those happened. Interestingly, Spotify instructs me to "Go to Settings to download using cellular" - despite this setting already turned on prior. I turned this setting off/ on anyway, but I got the same behavior. I even restarted the phone, and eventually restored it to factory settings, performed the steps above again, but to no avail. I'm getting frustrated already, haha. Please help. Thank you so much!

7 Replies

Some carriers are switching to an IPv6 APN which spotify can't handle currently. Try these steps and, if you still have problems, you'll need to get in touch with your carrier.

1. From any Home screen, tap Apps.
  2. Tap Settings.
  3. Tap Mobile data.
  4. Touch Access Point Names.
  5. If available, tap the existing APN (the bullet point fills with green). If not available, tap the Menu key, and then tap New APN
  6. Enter/Update the APN settings as provided by your Network Provider
  7. Tap the Menu key.
  8. Tap Save.
  9. Tap the APN profile you just created.
  10. The bullet point fills with green next to the APN profile.

How did you change the storage destination option to the SD card? I couldn't find that option in spotifys app settings.

@Tyler_ksu the option won't appear if you have formatted your SD card as internal  storage but, if that isn't the case, please post details of your device and android version together with a screen capture of the android settings storage page, thanks.

So I realized now that my device must have had an out of date version
bundled. I uninstalled and updated and now have the option in Settings to
download to the SD card. Thanks for offering to help!

So I realized now that my device must have had an out of date version
bundled. I uninstalled and updated and now have the option in Settings to
download to the SD card. Thanks for offering to help!

Glad to hear you got it sorted 🙂

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply. I tried these steps but still Spotify won't download my songs over mobile network. I will get in touch with my carrier. Will let you know of the result.

Regards,

Ferdz

Suggested posts