Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't play tracks that aren't downloaded (when I have premium + Data on)

Spotify won't play tracks that aren't downloaded (when I have premium + Data on)

I've been trying to play songs that I don't have downloaded, while having data on. I've tried reinstalling the app and logging in and out of it. But if i try to play something that isnt on my offline playlist, spotify will refuse to play it and say that the song is unavailable. It always happens when I'm trying to play something that i don't have downloaded and its fustrating since i am paying premium and I should be able to play any song that I'd like. (this happens only on my android device, which is a Samsung s7)

Any suggestions on what else I should do? 

13 Replies

Hey @byanz,

Do they stream through WiFi?

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Sometimes they don't, sometimes they do. It works if i keep the app open, but once it's closed it messes up.

@byanz

It may be unrelated to your issue, but Samsung introduced an agressive power saving option which is closing Spotify when the application is sent to the background or the screen display turned off. Check this thread.

There is a battery saving option that you need to turn off.

osorniosSpotify Star

I'll test it out and see how if it works. Thanks!

@byanz

Let me know how it goes. 🙂

osorniosSpotify Star

It still doesn't work... Would you have any other things I can try out?

Hey @byanz just to be clear, you're saying that music won't stream over mobile data? Does it stream over wifi? You may have an issue which mostly (but not exclusively) affects T-mobile users in the US.

Take a look at this post under the heading Cannot access Spotify on mobile data to see if it applies to you.

It'll only stream the music I've downloaded. It wont stream random songs I happen to want to listen to and don't have them downloaded. It happens on wifi and on data. 

I'll test that out and let you know how it goes.

If  you get the same problem over wifi, that post won't help. Have you checked your spotify settings to make sure you haven't toggled offline mode?

yeah, I made sure it wasn't in offline mode.

I read through the thread again and there seems to be some confusion.

You said that spotify did stream over wifi but "Sometimes they don't, sometimes they do. It works if i keep the app open, but once it's closed it messes up.". Not sure what you meant by that but if you were saying that spotify stoopped playing after a time then make sure that both power saving modes are turned off in android settings/battery/.

As for the app not streaming over mobile data, this could be due to the IPV6 thing so do take a look at this post under the heading Cannot access Spotify on mobile data and follow the instuctions there.

What I meant is:

• I would open up the app, play a song, and lock my phone
  • After the first song finishes playing, the next song doesn't play. (sometimes it does, but lately it hasnt) 
  • It won't play until I unlock my phone and give it a few seconds. 

And are both power saving modes turned off in android settings/battery/?

Suggested posts