Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify wont start on Android

Solved!

Spotify wont start on Android

When we try to open spotify, following message on display. " The program Spotify(prosess com.spotify.mobile.android.ui) has unexpected stopped. Try again"

We have problems with: Samsung Galaxy S(Fastware: 2.3.3,model GT-I9000) HTC Sense and HTC Desire. We have try to uninstall, we have try to intall the prewiev-version and taken the battery out off the phone.

Spotify is working at our iPad,iPod and PC. Untill June 2012 there was no problems on our phones.

We live in Norway! Heeeeelp!!!!!!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Right, I've done some investigating and I think this has something to do with your playlists. They contain some unusual characters, which might cause issues when the app first opens and tries to display them. So it simply crashes instead.

Just in case this isn't it, I've tried a manual repair on this end for things. Does it still crash?

(If so, my hunch is correct and we can see if removing the playlist does anything).

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Do you know which version of the Spotify Android app you're running? My first suggestion would always be to reinstall the app at the first sign of trouble.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

I have the same problem, live in sweden, did you find a solution?

I have tried to re install but it still doesn´t work, live in sweden

Please help me!!!

Sorry to hear you're also having problems emmilda, which device are you using?

HTC wildfire s

Are you running any other apps that could be causing a conflict? Try restarting the phone and giving it another go.

I havet tried to restart and it does not world. I run Facebook nothing else
Marked as solution

Right, I've done some investigating and I think this has something to do with your playlists. They contain some unusual characters, which might cause issues when the app first opens and tries to display them. So it simply crashes instead.

Just in case this isn't it, I've tried a manual repair on this end for things. Does it still crash?

(If so, my hunch is correct and we can see if removing the playlist does anything).

I have had the same problem. Did look at my playlist and had a strange character (square) removed it and now it is working fine!

Unubscribe any playlists that oiginates from Apple iOS that may have special characters from your desktop. That solved the problem on my three different branded mobile units.

I was heading out for a walk and started up Spotify. Something wasn't right. I got the login screen to begin with. Only to be greeted by a complete blank player. All my offline playlists gone. Then i get the force close message. After that "There is a license error blablabla" "Your device is synced to more than 3 devices" after that the phone freezes up completely and all that is left is to physically remove the battery.

Thank you.

These things+not supporting the Irish market+completely ignoring users requests is making me ever so slowly to go back to the pirated music market. "-But think about the artist?" 

Well since i have friends in the music business that are available on Spotify i'm quite aware of how little they get paid. And that is even though i'm supposed to flog out a monthly subscription fee that the artists only se a tiny fraction of.

I can confirm that special characters in the playlist name was my issue.

My daugther created a playlist on her iphone with an emoji character (a smiley face).  Once this playlist was removed I had no problem on my android device crashing on startup.

I simply cannot start the app. I cannot go further than a white screen with a gray bar above it that says spotify. I have already sent one automated crash report. I would almost think my HTC Desrice C does not have enough processing power.

I have never used the app on my mobile before, so I do not think this is related to a playlist with odd characters. How do I know if my phone can run the app at all? Or is there a playlist on it I do not know of?

@DanAugust wrote:

I simply cannot start the app. I cannot go further than a white screen with a gray bar above it that says spotify. I have already sent one automated crash report. I would almost think my HTC Desrice C does not have enough processing power.

I have never used the app on my mobile before, so I do not think this is related to a playlist with odd characters. How do I know if my phone can run the app at all? Or is there a playlist on it I do not know of?

Please get in touch through our contact form on this and we'll try some troubleshooting with you.

I had the same problems over and over again. I didn't have any other characters in my Playlists, but I was kind of dissapointed. So I deleted all my Playlists...it worked. I was very surprised but happy!

Hey there.

We believe that the issue faced by some users in this thread, where playlists with odd characters tend to crash the application, or prevent it from opening, has been resolved. We have implemented this resolution into the last version of the application, which is available now on the Google Play store.

This thread will be locked for now. If issues of this nature appear again, please open a new thread.
Airhorn Enthusiast

Suggested posts