Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stop auto play when connected to Bluetooth

Stop auto play when connected to Bluetooth

Come on Spotify. How long do we need to wait for this simple fix? It is unbelievably annoying to have Spotify autostart in my car. 'oh, we can't control that that's an Android issue blah blah blah blah blah...' oh yeah it is an Android issue but there's tons of fixes out there using tools like Tasker, but I don't want to install Tasker to fix a problem with your product. And it is your problem despite it being one of the dumbest things Android does, you could fix it. All you have to do is put a button in your settings and then write a bit of code to reroute the Android command to nowhere. I mean how hard is that for you to do? And the reason it is your problem is because it's your app that is annoying everyone by starting automatically. It happens in the middle of conversations, it happens when I am trying to run other music apps, it happens over and over. And you know what people say when it happens?  They don't say oh man I wish Android would fix that... They say why does Spotify freaking do that... it's making me crazy and that's a brand problem for you. Please do this easy fix.

Plan

Premium

Country

Usa

Device

Nokia 9

Operating System

Pie

My Question or Issue

10 Replies

Hey @wmupchurch, thanks for coming to the Spotify Community!

You may be interested in supporting and following this Live Idea: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Android-Bluetooth-Stop-Spotify-Autoplaying-on-App-Open/i...

The same thing happens on iOS. It also doesn't happen with prime music or any other music player. It's not android, it's Spotify.
It's extremely annoying. Whenever I start my car, Spotify starts playing. If I get a phone call in the car, after I hang up, Spotify starts up again. Lot's of posts on this community complaining about this behaviour for the last few years. (Both iOS and Android)

I've had to cancel my premium subscription to Spotify and go over to prime instead.

What is even more annoying is that Spotify keeps refering to the other autoplay issue, for which there is a toggle swith in settings, where completely unrelated music starts to play when you come to the end of a track or play list.

They insist that this is the solution to this problem which of course it is not.

Each time the Bluetooth issue is raised they mark the problem as resolved. Which of course it is not. I know of users who have deleted Spotify to avoid the bug. Spotify itself refuses to acknowldge that there is a bug and blindly soldiers on while I have to physically stop spotify from playing after each Phone Call/Zoom Meeting/ Window notification etc etc.

So, spotify keeps ignoring this problem. They keep on talking about the other annoying autoplay "feature" where completely unrelated music starts to play when you come to the end of a track or playlist.

They then mark a problem as "resolved" or "go to solution" when of course there is no solution.

This link is totally useless as they closed it. There is no solution there... It is not LIVE. They are lying.

Hey @Thethomasdahl,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We'll make sure to pass it on to the right team.

The idea is still open for voting. Feel free to add your +Vote and Subscribe to it so you can stay up-to-date with any relevant news about this. You can also check this article for more information about why an idea is closed with a status Case Closed.

The Community is here for you if there's anything else!

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This generic reply is about as helpful as a chat bot response. Feedback about this problem has been being "passed on to the right team" since the first time I purchased a car with bluetooth! Why has it never become a priority for Spotify tech support?

Spotify does many, many things right, but it's lack of meaningful response to this common, long-standing complaint is quite disappointing.

Try the following on Android:

Settings/Advanced functions/Android auto

Uncheck "Start playing music automatically when you drive"

(Sorry if it is slightly different texts on the menus, I have non-english phone settings)

Anytime spotify recognizes a new bluetooth connection it begins playing automatically (only in the car). So when I close the app, and reopen it...it starts playing automatically. When I start my car...it starts playing automatically. I can even pause the music, move to another app (without closing spotify), and then move back to spotify and it begins playing automatically. This issue is over 3 years old (look at your question forums) and still not fixed. Absolutely fucked.

Also I don't know if you reserve the string of characters "Car Thing" as a proper noun or if it means "anything related to a car" so I'm picking that.

I'm having the same issue. It is super annoying!

Suggested posts