Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Stop automatic car play

Stop automatic car play

I am having an issue with Spotify automatically playing when it connects to my car sound system via Bluetooth. I do not want it to auto play. 

Even if I pause the current song manually and close Spotify completely it will still resume playing automatically when it connects to the car stereo. 

Even worse is when I go to my job listening to a podcast in my car. When I arrive I stop the episode on my phone and resume in my PC. After I finish the episode during the day, when I go home and start the app in my phone connected to car via Bluetooth Spotify will resume the previous finished episode in the same second I stopped in the morning ignoring the episode I stopped via PC minutes before. 

Itried turning off the auto play feature in settings and I disabled car play in my phone settings. There is no setting on my car stereo to disable auto play. 

58 Replies

Yes, it's over a year and Spotify doesn't care. I moved to them because
YouTube is killing play music for YouTube music but **bleep** it, I will move
back if I have to.

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out here. We appreciate the feedback and have passed it on to our developers.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a solution for this at the moment because the way the app behaves when connected to Bluetooth devices, including car stereo systems, varies based on the device involved. However, we’re constantly optimizing our app, so this behavior might change in future updates.

For now, we'd recommend that you reach out to your car stereo device manufacturer customer support team to get help with the Bluetooth configurations.

You can also check out different ways to connect Spotify to your car stereo for listening here.

We hope you'll find this clarification useful and we’ll be here for you if there's anything else you'd like to ask.

Thank you for understanding and drive safely!

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Is this answer a joke!? Every person with this problem (which is many, many people) needs to reach out to their car stereo manufacture to solve a Spotify issue? It's must easier to just cancel the subscription and go to another provider. 

Well of course is a joke for them.
What is even worse, for example if the music was not playing in the car, if
you receive a phone call after you end it the music starts playing on it's
own just like that. I will go back to google, I really wanted to give my
money to another company but it seems that our overlord is much better.

HOW LONG UNTIL SPOTIFY HAS A SOLUTION??? IF YOU DON'T VALUE MY MONEY I'M HAPPY TO GO SPEND IT ON ANOTHER MUSIC SERVICE.

I'm not having this problem with my other apps that play music.   Only Spotify.  So it can't be a car stereo problem.  It is a Spotify problem. 

• If the problem is my car stereo then please explain to me why my other music apps don't have this same problem.  For example YouTube does not automatically play in my car if the app is closed, only if it is open.  Spotify is doing something that forces the latest song to stay forced in the queue even when the app is supposed to be closed.  It even forces itself to the top of the queue even if I was listening to YouTube last when I start up my car Spotify starts playing even though I have youtube open and Spotify was closed.  The only way I can stop this is to uninstall Spotify. 

it is a spotify issue and they send you to the car manufacturer ... what a
bad joke

they don't care or bother!!!! they blame 3rd party.

I canceled today premium. Bye Spotify

Same here, no response and no issue fixed, no more money. 

That is what i do about once per month in my car. It stinks but obviously this problem is over a year old and no ne cares. I just leave it uninstalled and use youtube as a circumvention. Eventually I just install it again. A pain.

I recently noticed that it did the same exact thing when I was listening to a podcast using podbean, a completly different app so it may be an android thing and not a spotify thing.

True, but this doesn't mean they cant modify their app, in Google play
music you could disable the autostart / play of the music when connected to
a Bluetooth device

I use an iPhone and I have this issue so it’s not an android thing.

Bluetooth device make, model, and what it's called in the Connect picker or Car: Samsung Galaxy s10e, model SM-G970U, bluetooth connection appears as "KW-R940BTS"
Car dashboard make and model: Car head unit JVC KW-R940BTS
A description of the issue. Spotify begins playing music on car stereo as soon as I turn on my vehicle. I cannot find any setting to disable this behavior.

Spotify should be embarrassed this thread is so old. I suggest providing your costumer greater transparency into the specifics of what is being researched and what the difficulties are. 18 months of repeated "I promise we are working on this" doesn't inspire trust or confidence. Opacity is toxic to your client's trust.

Has a solution been found? I'm having the same problem where my Spotify automatically begins playing when I enter my car and turn it on. I do not always want to listen to or use spotify.

please note to anyone who responds this is a problem with Spotify automatically opening itself and playing, not it automatically playing a song when one ends.

I have disabled it to run in the background. I have also disabled autoplay and neither have worked!

Even tough I hated Spotify for this, in the end it's an android issue,
apparently someone from Google decided for all of us that this feature is
needed, what a selfish move. Still, Google play music had an option to
disable the autoplay.
Install this app:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cp2.start.and.play.music.player
On this app you can easily decide what an app should do when it connects
to a Bluetooth device, in my case I have se it to automatically pause the
music app once it is connected to the car.

Cheers all.

Are you suggesting we use the google music app instead of spotify? Thats kinda not a solution but thanks anyway.

• Feb 2021, I have the same problem. I sat in a parking lot for 7 mins. today and looked at the settings on my Toyota stereo interface. I found an option to “connect from device” as opposed to from the car to the device (my iPhone). 

I am posting this before I know the result b/c IDK if I will check back on this forum (yeah, how much do we all love looking at forum threads because another piece of tech has shitty software/code or bad parts).

good luck

Suggested posts