Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Storage: Spotify only uses phone, not SD Card

Storage: Spotify only uses phone, not SD Card

Hi guys,

I posted this as review in the Google play store as well but never got any feedback. 

Your help is much appreciated!

Vanessa 

Starting to get really upset... Been fighting with this app for several
months now as it keeps moving itself as well as all my offline music from
my SD card to the internal memory. Had to move it back almost daily. Now I
can't even see "storage" in the spotify settings anymore. Can't move it
through Android settings either. Phone storage is constantly full while the
SD card is almost empty. Very annoying to constantly have to reinstall the
app and to keep getting the bug. Especially since I don't have access to
unlimited Wi-Fi, so downloading my playlists all over again is costing me
money. What can I do?

12 Replies

Hey @Jordinva,

Welcome to the community!

Let's try performing a clean reinstallation, following the steps listed here. Next, please make sure your SD card has at least 1GB of free space, then follow these steps to select your SD card as the primary download location instead of the internal memory.

Let me know how it goes. Have a great day 🙂

NoahSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hey Noah, thanks so much for your help! I tried to clear the data countless times (in the spotify app as well as on Android), but it wouldn´t work. Any other idea for a clean install? Cheers, Vanessa

Hey @Jordinva,

Would you be able to provide me with some more details about what's going on?

A screenshot of the storage settings from the Spotify app would help as well.

Thanks 🙂

NoahSpotify Star

Thank you Noah!
Well the problem is, that there are no storage settings in the app itself... It used to be there but it disappeared. The screenshot shows the storage settings in Android after reinstalling and clearing the data on both Android and in the app a million times. Nothing ever changes. 😞
[Image]

same ishappening to everyone I know even me that uses that app. The storge option from setting is missing now.

I had this problem in the past as well and here's what I did to fix it: 

Try formatting your sdcard to "Portable Storage", you can do this in your phones storage settings under "External SD" or something like that.

ty so much, it worked!

No problem!

Maybe you could mark my post as the solution!

Would be much appreciated. 🙂

Noah et al, hello.

I'm having the same issue.

Honor 9. Emui and Android 8.0.

Spotify app - 8.4.51.899

I've tried everything.

Followed the clean install to the letter. Several times.

Formatted the SD card again to FAT. I cannot format within the phone itself to portable or similar.

Created a separate folder under SD card for spotify data and then did another clean install hoping the app would find this storage location but no matter what I do, there is no option on the app settings interface to choose downloading to SD card. Have Spotify stopped allowing this for some bizarre reason?

Thanks for any and all help.

Hey @Jordinva,

I've done some research, let's try these troubleshooting steps:

• Go to Settings > Apps > Spotify > Permissions > and  make sure Spotify has "Storage" permission.
  • Remove the SD card, reinstall the Spotify app, then reinsert the SD card.
  • Uninstall the Spotify app, format the SD card to portable memory from your phone's settings, then reboot your phone and re-install the Spotify app and try selecting SD card from the storage menu again.
  • Check out this post

Let me know how it goes 🙂

NoahSpotify Star

Hi!

Just had the same problem that you, the "Select Storage" option didn't even appeared on the Settings Menu, but I think I'll figure it out.

I'm running Android 7.0 and the latest Spotify version...

In Android settings, under "Memory & Storage" you have to select the Internal Storage as the default location and that automatically makes the "Select Storage" in Spotify appear, and for the other apps (Gallery or FB, IG, WA, etc) you have to make sure the default storing location is ypur SD card.

That worked for me very well, hope it does for you too!

I tried ALL of the steps listed in this and other posts - at the end of the day the only thing that I *think* made the save to SD card option appear was actually physically removing the SD card from the phone, uninstalling Spotify, putting the SD card back and formatting as external storage and then reinstalling Spotify. The option then magically reappeared in Spotify settings.

Spent nearly an hour and a half trying to sort out something that was previously working without any issues.

Suggested posts