Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Storage issue after downloading new app

Solved!

Storage issue after downloading new app

Several days ago I got an email from Spotify prompting me to download a new app from Google Play due to some security breach. So I went ahead and downloaded it and started to redownload all my old playlists. My Starred playlist, which I use as my primary library, cannot finish downloading due to insufficient space on my phone's internal storage. I removed the old version of Spotify on my phone from Google Play, but that didn't help. It appears that all the old downloaded files from the previous app are still stored on my device, taking up space and with no way to access them. 

I'd be surprised if I was the only person to have encountered this issue, and I'd like to know how to fix it. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

You're looking for android\data\com.spotify to delete.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

You'll probably have to clear the cache manually. I did. It should be on the SD card in Android/data.

The old directory, which you can delete is com.spotify.mobile.android.ui.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Marked as solution

Joe,

I uninstalled Spotify, deleted the cache folder file(s), then re-installed.

This time it worked as I can download multiple playlists and songs again without error.

Not sure what was different this time since I performed this procedure a few times before to no avail.

thanks

Wayne

13 Replies

I haven't seen this come up before. Try clearing the cache from spotify/options then quit spotify and use a file explorer to find and delete any residual spotify folders under \Android\data\ on both the internal and external storage.

No luck. I cleared the cache from within the new app and my playlist still only downloaded up to about %70 and then stopped. Now there's 5.92 GB free on my phones internal storage, but it still won't download. Does Spotify default song downloads to the SD card? If that's the case, which specific directory would I be able to find the previously downloaded songs, because I'm having trouble finding them.

Marked as solution

You're looking for android\data\com.spotify to delete.

Marked as solution

You'll probably have to clear the cache manually. I did. It should be on the SD card in Android/data.

The old directory, which you can delete is com.spotify.mobile.android.ui.

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Found it. Thanks for the prompt responses.

Everything was great for couple months until last update for security features. Had several hundred songs downloaded for offline listening. Tried everything possible spending over 3 hours to resolve this issue: 

"Offline syncing hasstopped as there's no space left on this device".  --- Alway after out ab14 songs downloaded get this message 

In summary, none of the following fixed the problem:

a) - Under <device>/Android/data -- deleted all files and folders related to spotify.  First time observed about 252 mb being cleared up!

b) - Under Spotify menu Settings>Other -- did "Delete cache and saved data" 

c) - Deleted application, then re-installed it from Google Play Store

d) - With new app insatlled, logged out, loggin again

e) - Repeated (a), (b) and (d) again 

f) - Deleted existing playlists which were empty, but previous had downloaded songs.

g) - Freed up another 500mb of space on SD card, becauue thats where /Android/data folder with spotify cache was before deleted it.

h) - Repeat a thru e agan

* Lots of storage space left"

Droid 4 device user

Exactly which android version are you running? Could you just post the free space showing under:

• Internal storage
  • Internal RAM
  • External SD card (if applicable)

Hi Joe,

I also emailed you back in gmail.

Android Version:  4.1.2

sdcard0 (internal) -  2.99GB/ 8.00 GB
sdcard1 (SD Card)-  14.44GB/ 14.89GB    --- so about 440 MB free

internal RAM -- 1 GB

internal ROM -- 16 GB

thanks

Thanks. Could you uninstall spotify again and delete, if they exist, the folders \android\data\com.spotify.music and \android\data\com.spotify.mobile.android.ui in both internal storageand external SD card. The install spotify music again from Play.

I'm guessing from the free space showing that the old cache was on the external SD card and there are still some residual folders there. Getting rid of them should get things working again.

Marked as solution

Joe,

I uninstalled Spotify, deleted the cache folder file(s), then re-installed.

This time it worked as I can download multiple playlists and songs again without error.

Not sure what was different this time since I performed this procedure a few times before to no avail.

thanks

Wayne

I have the same problem and can't seem to solve it help needed plz

Still had problem. The problem files turned out to be Shazam (linked to Spotify account). Deleted them, now all working fine. Thanks.

Suggested posts