Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sudden massive background data use

Solved!

Sudden massive background data use

I never use mobile data to stream or download, and yet in the last 4 days Spotify background data has taken 1.2 GB. What is going on!? This needs urgent fix as its costing me money. Screenshot attached. Please help.
Screenshot_20160909-203539.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Erase the data from the app and log in on spotify again. Everything will be as good as new. 

View solution in original post

13 Replies

I've had the same issue. Spotify downloaded 670MB of data in the background, even though I haven't used the app at all last month (and have now uninstalled it!). I didn't notice the problem until I saw my phone bill. As I only have a 1GB data limit this made an impact. I found the following form on an old post about the same issue from 2013, hope it helps the tech guys in resolving this.

Device model

Wiko Goa

Device’s Operating System

Andorid 4.4.2

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

My mobile Spotify version

Already uninstalled

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

My mobile provider and country

Simyo, The Ntherlands

Using too much data over 3G?

Yes

Using too much data over WiFi?

Yes

Have you done troubleshooting as described here?

No

My username

Ouraios

Marked as solution

Erase the data from the app and log in on spotify again. Everything will be as good as new. 

Awesome thanks for the advice. Out of interest, is there a layman's explanation for why it did this?

Also - as I so very rarely use the app with mobile data (always in offline mode when out and about - unless searching for a track to download later) I think I will probably keep the background data restricted. Do you know if this will have any other unintended consequences?

Thanks again!!

How do you erase data from the app?

Whoa Nellie. This is bull**bleep**.
Screenshot_2017-08-03-20-36-46.png

same issue for me. after some checks, it seemd that spitify continue to use data in background even if not allowed by phone settings...

That just happened to me too

Ahhhh me too! The last 3 months Spotify has sucked up massive amounts of data (mainly background) and I've racked up huge overage charges from Verizon. I've had Spotify for over 2 years, and my account was premium for most of this time. Since it changed to standard, it has used more than 5-6 gigs per month! I rarely use it outside of WiFi. **bleep** has changed???

It sucked away 9gigs from me in less than 4 hours...

Same here 1GB backgound data in 1hr, background data disabled, download over 3G disabled, Moto G4 Android 7.0

Here,  too. 11 Gb in 4 hrs. Spotify didn't know  what happened

This is not a solution, it is a workaround, at best.

Spotify downloaded 1.7GB on my mobile data on its own; I demand an explanation, and a fix, as almost 2GB worth of nothing is no small background usage.

Who should I talk to to get this explained/fixed?

I agree, this should be looked at. Last night it used 2.71GB in 1 hour in background data when it shouldn't have. Not impressed at all.

Suggested posts