Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Sync Failure, Greyed out songs and Track Not Available

Sync Failure, Greyed out songs and Track Not Available

I was really excited when I hopped on to Spotify, but the experience has been nothing but just a pain so far. It has been working fine before, but past few versions have been a nightmare. I'll still not give up and give one last chance to Spotify to fix the problem. I can see plenty of users have had the same issues, but all of them are scattered accross different threads. So I decided to make one cosolidated one, hoping to get a response.

Description

First problem: When I add music to my Spotify on desktop, they do not appear on my mobile device and tablet running Androids. 

Second problem: Some songs that were already in the playlist before the first problem started occuring are greyed out on my Android devices and when trying to play them, they say "The Track Not Available". But they appear normal on the desktop version and can be played.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

Literally all possible solutions.

1. Cleared data and cache of spotify

2. Uninstalled the application

3. Reboot the device TWICE

4. Reinstall latest version

5. Reinstall latest version

6. Enable 2G/3G option

On top of that, I tried creating a new playlist and move all the songs into that. The playlist appears, but still empty! 

Tried clicking the download button too, but of course nothing happened. You can't download an empty playlist, can you?

What I expected to happen

I expect that when I insert the songs in a playlist, they would appear almost immediately on my mobile devices. And all songs playable on desktop would not be greyed out on the mobile device.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

HTC One

Samsung Note 8.0

Device’s Operating System

Android 4.1.2 on both devices

What type of account do you have?

Premium

Space left on your device

Taken from Application Management / Apps:

HTC One : 22GB available

Samsung Note 8.0: 8.2GB 

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

HTC One : 22GB available

Samsung Note 8.0: 7.78GB 

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

Samsung Note 8.0: 53.49GB

Is your device rooted?

Both devices are NOT rooted

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

Both running Stock ROMs

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

Yes but this setting is not within Spotify itself of course.

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No.

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes.

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

N/A

My mobile Spotify version

HTC One: v0.6.2.64

Samsung Note 8.0: v0.6.2.64

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

0.9.0.133.gd18ed589

My mobile provider and country

HTC One: Maxis, Malaysia

Samsung Note 8.0: Digi, Malaysia

My username

shahz

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

No

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Facebook Login

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

Not sure if its really needed?

31 Replies

I don't understand what you are telling me to do exactely... 

Why at my job I have 40% of greyed in my Darkwave playliste, the same on my iPhone and on my Android and web version all are greyed ! For me it's a bug, the same playlist but not the same result...

I suggest you submit an online contact form and someone at Spotify will look into this for you. If you get an automated reply, make sure to reply to it directly (even if it's from a no reply) and it will be sent to the Spotify staff.

Hey jwylot,

I have already unlinked the track, but its still greyed out on my tablet. Now I don't have the option to unlink it anymore when I right click it. 

That's what I'll do Jwylot.

By the way, normally @home I'm supposed to have no greysongs no ?

@shahz wrote:

Hey jwylot,

I have already unlinked the track, but its still greyed out on my tablet. Now I don't have the option to unlink it anymore when I right click it. 

The nearest track I found on spotify th the one you're having issues with is this. The track you mention is on your desktop as a local track. You can find it by right clicking on it in your desktop client and opening the containing folder. If you want to listen to it on your mobile device, you'll have to download it to your tablet.

If you mean the web browser, it works like a mobile device and won't show local files so yes, greyed out will happen in that too.

@Heretic wrote:

That's what I'll do Jwylot.

@by the way, normally @home I'm supposed to have no greysongs no ?

I've try something very interesting.

I create a new playlist with two songs inside test

This is the same songs, one is taken from my local file at home and the other, the same title, is linked from the Spotify library. I can play both of them at home on my Desktop Spotify, no greyed.

Now, I go to my job, I open my Desktop spotify, I look at the test playlist (there is no local files recorded at my job) and none are greyed, I can play both without any problem.

Now, I open the test playlist on my Android and big surprise, only one is playable, the one linked from the Spotify library. Same on the web version. On my iPhone, I can play both of them like on the Desktop version.

It looks like on the Desktop and iPhone player, Spotify can replace the missed song with one taken on Spotify library, one who "looks" the same. BUT why not on Android or on Web ? Again it's a big bug for me.

BTW I can't play all my songs at home from my Android (it was ok with my iPhone). Normally I'm supposed to have no greyed because my files are recorded on my home desktop computer and because I'm on the same Wi-Fi.

What is wrong with Spotify ? seriousely it make me crazy 😞

Today I was in restaurant with my girlfriend. I asked she to check how many files she can play from my playslist that she subscribed.

More than 9000 was OK (no synch -> no local files) !
I also checked and I was only able to play maybe 2% of the files, the other ones was greyed !!!!
I have uninstall Spotify and reinstall it from the restaurant in 3G, always the same, they are mostely all grey.

We both have a Galaxy S4...

Info for the Spotify Android in Google Play app store says, "Wirelessly sync your own music to your Android." The tracks that are marked unavailable on my Android tablet's Spotify install are music I either purchased or that is available free. The unavailable tracks are not available on Spotify's music servers. The tracks are mine. I'm trying to share them with myself on another device under Spotify's service. Moreover, anything I bought through Amazon's MP3 digital sales is not visible in the Android copy of the playlist at all. Spotify is up to date on laptop and tablet. My account is Premium. Laptop is Win 7, tablet is Nexus 7 Android 4.3. Syncing the playlist itself seems to work fine. It's just that purchased or free music is unavailable or invisible on the tablet. Also: laptop and tablet are on the same WiFi network but laptop is wired up right now, and the wired and wireless networks are configured as different subnets, so I don't know if Spotify is recognizing the laptop and tablet as being on the same WiFi netwoirk. The wireless network currently does not beacon the SSID, if that matters. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

@heathquinn - You can easily tell if your Spotify desktop client and mobile app are talking to each other as if the desktop client detects a mobile device on the same network it will show up under "Devices" in the desktop client on the left hand side. 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

thanks, Pater. the tablet doesn't show up as a device. 

If your wired and wireless networks are configured as different subnets then effectively the PC and tablet are on different networks and spotify won't be able to synch between them. I'm no networking expert but there's probably a way to solve this, assuming you have admin rights.

Alternatively,you could create an ad-hoc wireless network on your laptop and connect your tablet to that which should enable synching.

Suggested posts