Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Syncing error - "no space left on device"

Solved!

I recently did a reset on my phone and now have Spotify syncing to my SD card. Music has been syncing correctly but after a while (such as when I tried to sync another playlist today) I get the following error.

"Syncing error

Offline syncing has stopped as there's no space left on this device."

However, there definitely should be space left. The SD card shows 26.48 GB free out of a total 29.76 GB. (That's 3 GB used for the existing spotify cache.

For what it's worth, there äs also 1.1 GB free on the device memory and 3.74 GB free in the internal storage.

I have already tried clearing the Spotify cache and re-syncing everything but the same error comes up after a while. Is there some kind of limit coded into the app? Any what to get all my music to sync?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi,

I had the same issue two days ago. After upgrade the app android showed up an storage space warning when I was downloading offline songs then I unistall the app but it wasn't enough. This is what I did:

I deleted the spotify cache and save data (Spotify app -> settings -> Delete cache an saved Data).   

Android Settings -> applications - > (look for Spotify app) - > "Clear data", "Clear cache" and  "Force stop"

Delete   Internal Storage - > Android ->  data -> "com.spotify.music"  folder If exists

Uninstall Spotify App

Make sure that you have enough space in sdcard

Install Spotify again

Select a playlist which has few songs and make it offline

Check Internal Storage - > Android ->  data    There mustn't be "com.spotify.music" folder

I hope this help you.

Guidux

View solution in original post

54 Replies

Hi. Please try another clean reinstall, following the instructions here. For step 8 of the guide, please check both your external and inbuilt locations for the folder com.spotify.mobile.android.ui . Hopefully this will fix things 🙂

Hey! Thanks for your message. I was busy at work this week so I didn't have a chance to test it till today.

I went through all the steps (hadn't tried a restart in the middle before) and even formatted the external SD card. I put it on to sync and this time it stopped after 2.6 GB. Same error message. Any other suggestions?

Here are some more details.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

(We need to know what you are doing so we can do the exact same to try and get the same error)

1. Followed part B of the troubleshooting guide, including a format of the external SD card after uninstalling the app.

2. Installed Spotify and put a bunch of playlists on to download. (About 1100 songs.)

3. After a couple hours and having downloaded 2.6 GB I got the "no space left on device" error.

What I expected to happen

I expect it to download all my playlists because Android reports that the SD card has over 27 GB free.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

No (doesn't seem applicable)

Your device

Sony Xperia Go (ST27i)

Device’s Operating System

What type of account do you have?

Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

1.04 GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

3.73 GB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

27.21 GB

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

No (not manually, it was automatic)

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

not applicable

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

not applicable

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

not applicable

My mobile provider and country

Comiq, Sweden

My username

Darcy

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes (but not in use on this phone)

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Facebook

same problem here (Spotify premium)

Galaxy S4 , SD card 64 GB

After update my firmware in my phone

It happens after 500 songs more or less

Spotify use my SD Card but with 50Gb free spotify stop Syncing

I have format the card, make a fress install os sopotify but its like spotify thinks my SD card is not a 64Gb card, all the other programs I have are able to read/write withput problems in that card

Is Spotify definitely syncing to the SD card?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

yes is syncing to the sd card, but only around 500 songs... after that : "no space left on device". And I have around 50Gb of free space in that card.

update info.

After the error msg: Syncing error - no space left on device

if I kill the app spotify and run it again , Spotify is able to sync the songs for a while.

so I have been able to sync all my songs to my SD card doing this 3 or 4 times, but spotify says no space left in device everyday when is updating my playlist, so everyday I have to kill and reload spotify... is really annoying.

is like for some reason spotify are not able to read the free space in the sdcard from time to time. I have tested deezer just to be sure the problem is not the sdcard, and I have sync 3000 songs without any problem using that app.

any help?

Im getting this after about 100 songs.... really? 64gb SD Card also!?

Is Spotify definitely saving to your SD card and not internal storage?

Peter

I've got, like, 8.8gb of music already downloaded on my Nexus 5 32gb and have like 9gb of space left on my phone, and just got this message. I had downloaded a song just a few minutes before, but then I went to download another song and it said my device was full. Not sure what's going on.

I tried the kill and run again, downloaded in an instant. Weird.

Same issue here. The message popping up that there is no space left. However, the sdcard is and internal memory are both nog full. Running Cynogenmod for SGS4, Android 4.4.2. The SD is used, verified that, but it stops with 50+GB available.

How many offline tracks have you synced so far when it stops?

Peter

Yesterday it stopper after 21 tracks. But it could be that 100 songs sync and then the sync errr appears stating that the device had no space left. Currently running spotify 1.1.0.113 on Cynogenmod 11, Android 4.4.2. I am 1sure the SD is used because there the offline files are stored.

I'm having exactly the same issue as you on CM11 on a GS4 too. Have plenty of space available on Internal and External SD cards, I know it's now using 3.3GB of space with approx 630 tracks synced so far.  I can sometimes get it too sync a couple more tracks if force close Spotify and restart, though this only happens occasionally I usually end up with the error message.

Kus to update this has only started happening since the latest version of Spotify. It was working without issue on the pre hacked version.

After the push update today, May 30th 2014, I am no longer able to store my offline music on the external SD card. My smal internal card on my Samsung S2 is already almost full already, so downloading to it is impossible, as it gets full after just a few songs.

Please make it possible to store music on the external SD card again, or let me move the whole app to the external SD card.

Or else I can no longer use Spotify, as I almost only use it while travelling or in my car. There are alternatives, but I prefer continuing using Spotify if you fix this.

Marked as solution

Hi,

I had the same issue two days ago. After upgrade the app android showed up an storage space warning when I was downloading offline songs then I unistall the app but it wasn't enough. This is what I did:

I deleted the spotify cache and save data (Spotify app -> settings -> Delete cache an saved Data).   

Android Settings -> applications - > (look for Spotify app) - > "Clear data", "Clear cache" and  "Force stop"

Delete   Internal Storage - > Android ->  data -> "com.spotify.music"  folder If exists

Uninstall Spotify App

Make sure that you have enough space in sdcard

Install Spotify again

Select a playlist which has few songs and make it offline

Check Internal Storage - > Android ->  data    There mustn't be "com.spotify.music" folder

I hope this help you.

Guidux

Yes!  That did it. Thanks for the solution!

Actually, I have done the same before, but I had forgotten about the deletion of com.spotify.music folder.

I really wonder why Spotify has not found a way to delete the folder automatically during uninstall.

It's very common for apps to leave numerous folders lying around when they are uninstalled, it's just lazy development unfortunatley.

Suggested posts