Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Ted Talks Daily podcast does not play at all

Ted Talks Daily podcast does not play at all

Plan Premium

Device Huawei Honor 8

Operating System Android 7

My Question or Issue

I can't play any episodes of the podcast on my phone. They are selected for playing as I press play, but they do not play. On my desktop they work without problems. The other 10+ podcasts I listen to play without problems on my phone as well. I have updated Spotify and restarted my phone. What could cause this?

21 Replies

Hi there @anj0-uz6_9cee,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome!

As a first step, try logging out from your Spotify account, restarting your phone again, and logging back in. If that doesn't do the trick, can you let us know if that podcast used to work properly on your phone before? If it did, could you let us know when that started happening and if it was after a specific event, such as an app or OS update?

Also, try using a different Internet connection, like mobile data or a different WiFi network, and let us know if this behavior persists.

Keep us posted on how it goes. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Thank you for your reply @CarlosE,

I did as you suggested (logged out, used mobile data etc.) but none of the episodes play still. All other podcasts play normally. There were no issues with playing this podcast before the latter half of March this year. However, I'm unable to remember if there were app/OS updates then.

Hey @anj0-uz6_9cee

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Next thing we recommend is running a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your Android device. This will remove corrupted data that could be preventing the app from operating at full capacity. 

If this persists after the clean reinstall, make sure no battery optimization settings or data cleaning apps run active on your mobile device. We also suggest accessing the app settings and making sure all Permissions are enabled for Spotify. 

Hope this helps. Keep us in the loop here.

Thanks for your reply Ivan,

I did a clean install as instructed, allowed all permissions for Spotify and made sure Spotify is not closed by battery optimization (and also disabled any power-saving mode for now). The specific podcast still does not play, but the others do. I also tried to download one of the podcast episodes, but the app shows 0 % of download complete, all the time. It's like it can't handle this specific podcast!

Hi again @anj0-uz6_9cee,

Thanks for keeping in touch and trying our suggestions.

Could you try logging in to a different account, like a friend's or relative's, on your phone and let us know if the behavior with that podcast is the same?

Also, can you send us the URI or link of the affected podcast so we can check on our end?

We'll be looking out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

Thanks Carlos,

I did not want to use anyone else's account, but a friend tried playing the podcast on my account on his Android phone, and it played normally. So it has to be something with my phone and with that specific podcast only. Are there any more things to do you think?

Here's the URI spotify:show:1VXcH8QHkjRcTCEd88U3ti

Hi @
anj0-uz6_9cee,

Thanks for the reply.

Another thing you can try is to create a free account for test purposes and log in with that one. Check if the podcast plays as expected. This way you can see if the issue is indeed related to your phone, or to a setting in the account.

Keep us posted on how you get on with this.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thanks Alex,

I tried this and the podcast did not play with the other account either, so it's something with the phone (app). Weird that only that one podcast seems to be affected. Is there anything else that could be done, other than getting a new phone/listening only on desktop app?

Hi again @anj0-uz6_9cee

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Could you send over the exact Spotify version you're currently running?

A video or screen recording where we can take a better look at what happens with the podcast on your phone would also be helpful to continue investigating this behavior and see if we can replicate it from our end. You can send a link to it or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

We'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Thank you Novi,

The Spotify version is 8.6.20.1063. I attached a screen recording, hope it helps!

Hey @anj0-uz6_9cee

Thanks for this info!

Just to confirm, have you made sure that your device has no pending system updates? 

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

NovyModerator

Hi Novy,

I did not find any new updates for Android (or the Spotify app), everything seems up to date.

Hey again @anj0-uz6_9cee

Thanks for keeping us posted and giving our suggestions a try. 

Since this issue seems to be related to your specific phone, we'd recommend performing a factory reset on your device to see if this helps.

Let us know how it goes. 

NovyModerator

Hi Novy,

I understand. However that's too much trouble for only one podcast for me currently, but I will keep it in mind for sure.

I really appreciate your help!

Hi again,

The podcast seems to work normally on my phone now too, so the issue seems to be resolved! I do not know if you changed something, but I certainly did not do anything myself (restart my phone or update anything).

Hi @anj0-uz6_9cee

Thanks for your reply. 

We're glad to hear that things are now working as they should! Some content gets regularly reuploaded, so this could've helped. 

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away.

Cheers!

NovyModerator

I have exactly the same problem. Ted Talks Daily does not play or download but Ted x Shorts, Ted Daily and other podcasts are absolutely fine.

Hi there @Puddleducks,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

Can you list all the troubleshooting steps mentioned in this thread that you've already tried? This is so we don't repeat anything and can get to the bottom of the issue quicker.

Also, let us know the make, model and OS version of the device where you're having this issue, and if it's happening in any other devices where you use the app.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

I have tried the suggestions given in this thread except factory reset and clean reinstall which I am loathe to do for just one non functioning podcast and when the problem sorted itself for the OP. I am using a Galaxy S6 Edge, OS (I think): Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop), upgradable to 7.0 (Nougat), TouchWiz UI

Suggested posts