Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Testing required (volume bug?) Android

Testing required (volume bug?) Android

Hello Spotify community,

He reason I'm making this post is because I've had this concern for a while and yesterday I confirmed it. There is a noticeable colume difference between Spotify and Google Play Music in Android on my Nexus 5. For months I've wondered why I had to almost blast full volume (probably 1 volume click below max) on my Spotify music app and then when I would switch to Google Play Music to play something else (usually something that is not in Spotify's library I had the volume set to 3 clicks below the max volume.

Well yesterday I confirmed the volume difference. My Play Music app got updated and prompted me for a free trial of all access (their Spotify competitor service) so I did the test.

Basically what I'm asking you is, Can you replicate this bug? spend your 30-day free trial for Play Music and listen to the same albums, songs, artist and help me confirm this. The difference should be around 3 clicks in the volume, e.g. I was playing a song on Spotify and then the same song in the same section on Play Music and had to lower the volume to avoid hearing damage.

Thank you in advance for any testing you might do,

Alejandro Navas

5 Replies

Ok, I've been doing more testing myself.

Basically all the metal music sounds a lot lower in volume in Spotify compared to what Google Play Music has in their libraries. Meshuggah, The DIllinger Escape Plan, Slipknot etc all sound lower in spotify than it's Google Play counterpart. 

But albums like "The Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd or "Zooropa" by U2 sound exactly the same in volume in both platforms. Does anybody know the reason behind this? I'll test this same thing in the PC versions of the app.

I have both services, will try a little test in the car on the way home tonight.

I suspect it's more to do with the file received from the artist/label but will try Dillinger Escape Plan and will let you know if it's the same for me.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

After my PC test I was able to see that it was only an issue in the android app, same songs/files compared in the PC and there was no noticeable difference in the volume between play music and Spotify.

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to test myself last night.... I'll try to when I get a spare second.

Apologies!

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Also noticed this problem for a while. Have Spotify ever come out and said why its lower?

Suggested posts