Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Thanks for ruining my day Spotify.

Solved!

Thanks for ruining my day Spotify.

The forced upgrade, whatever, I can deal with that.  The losing all my offline downloaded songs as well, and not being allowed to at the very least temporarily run the old version, WTF! 

I listen to Spotify offline all day at work since my data connection sucks.  Not only was I already having a bad day, then I am disallowed to listen to the service I paid for for the day.

Thanks.  Will you refund me my money?  I didnt think so.

29 Replies

I really wasn't amused this morning at 5am when I discovered that I had to update the app and download my playlists again. I was also quite annoyed just before I got in the car to go for the nice long trip to discover that it had used up all the internal memory on the phone because it failed to clear the 15GB's of old spotify cache on the external SD card... so yes, had to do a full re-install later in the day and resync the playlists again so that it actually put the cache on the SD card where it should have been in the first place.

I will count myself lucky for actually managing to have music to listen to today, but since the update/re-install process decided to register my phone 3 times on the registered devices list, it's meant that I've had to resync my playlists on my pc's as well... So 4 playlist syncs in one day and all the stress first thing in the morning just because of poor release management isn't ideal...

Marked as solution

Yeah, I'm one of the lucky ones, too. Though, after railing against the removal of search history without an explanation for nearly a year, then finally getting it back, I realized today that the new app completely deleted previous search history. AWESOME. It would be so tough to sync that with a desktop client, I realize. It might take real developers a whole couple weeks to create! 

But I'm a solutions-oriented guy, so I want to share this book with Spotify developers, I think it will help them immensely: http://www.amazon.com/Android-Application-Development-For-Dummies/dp/1118387104

On the other hand, it may be a bit too advanced...

Lamp

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Add-support-for-Google-ChromeCast/idi-p/482900

@Spotify - Thankyou for finally sending an email letting me know that the update will delete all my offline cache. A little bit late this time, next time I will hope for a few days notice. Thanks.

And Im glad that my phone is still supported after the update - feel sorry for everyone who cant use it on their phones now - This is the only reason I pay - so I can have offline playlists on my phone.

So I got the notification this morning that I needed to re-install the app. No issue there. Then, I found out I had to re-synch my lists. Again, not a big deal...I didn't synch all of my lists the first time so it wouldn't take that much time to do it again just to my Android.

The reason why it's frustrating for me personally, is that I have virtually no room now to put my playlists on my phone, which I don't understand how that even works. With EVERYTHING cleared out, there shouldn't be any space used, and yet when I went in on my computer to synch that way, I see that I have used 136MB. How does that work exactly? Is that just the size of the app now or something? I even uninstalled apps on my phone hoping to free up more space, but it did little to help me.

I am in no way going to sit here and complain and say "oh well now I won't use this app" because it's how I listen to music in my car and I paid good money to use it, so I better be able to put music on my phone. But it is frustrating when I used to have dozens of playlists on my phone and now when I try to synch something, it will get partway through and then say "waiting to download" and never start up again. Until I get answers to this issue, I have removed the app from my phone, but hope to have it back soon as I am paying good money monthly on it.

It sounds like you might have the cache from the old installation still hanging around. To find where your storage has gone:
Download a Free file Manager such as ES filemanager (Im not affiliated with them its just my choice) and navigate to the following location:
Android -> Data -> com.spotify.music

In this folder there is a cache folder - Mine is empty.

Now if you navigate further:
Android -> Data -> com.spotify.music -> files -> spotifycache -> storage

My folder has a bunch of 2 Letter folders. I assume this is where the new storage is.

If I navigate the same path on my external SD card - there is the com.spotify.music folder with an empty cache folder.

I think this is where my cache was before. Mine is empty, but maybe yours still has the old cache.

If I had the missing-space issue, Id try uninstalling spotify, delete all spotify folders form both internal memory and SD cards. reinstall, and see the following links below if you want to make your offline lists go to the SD card.

After looking at this I can see that Spotify has also decided that my cache can go back on the internal storage instead of my SD Card<more rage>.

Excellent! Thanks Again! I now have to delete my newly downloaded cache and redownload to make it store on the SD card.

See the following for additional ranting of lost storage:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Offline-songs-wont-go-to-SD-Card-after-1-1-0-112/td-p/8...

and the following for the official delete everything again instructions to put it on your SD card:
https://support.spotify.com/us/problems/#!/article/How-do-I-store-Spotify-on-my-SD-card

The update also ran for me before I received the email.

Better still it seems that my phone is not compatible with the new version of Spotify so I am left paying for something that I can not use (at least on that device).

Anyone know where Spotify publishes their list of what Android devices/chipsets/versions are compatible and how long they will remain compatible?  

I can only find the following which doesnt mention anything about hardware:

https://support.spotify.com/au/learn-more/faq/#!/article/What-devices-does-Spotify-support

Thanks but the FAQ is incorrect.  My phone is 2.3.6 so according to the FAQ should still be supported.  (Looks like ARMv5 and v6 are no longer supported)

I'm really pleased with this update because it now downloads offline playlists into my phone memory instead of my SD card because I have more space on the former.

Well done!

Unfortunately Spotify have confirmed over on this topic armv6 devices are no longer being supported:
http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/Samsung-Galaxy-Ace-new-version-of-spotify-is-not-compat...

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Suggested posts