Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

The spotify mobile app all of a sudden lost the Play / Shuffle Play option for playlist folders

The spotify mobile app all of a sudden lost the Play / Shuffle Play option for playlist folders

I just cannot possibly understand why you'd remove a feature that was working perfectly. 😕 Why Spotify? Why? *Bangs head on a wall*
Screenshot_20170306-070404.png
20 Replies

Yes! Put this back in!

I have one playlist per album, which is then grouped under an artist. I am no longer able to shuffle a whole artist!

Sure, Spotify has the ability to save 'Artists', but this approach completely fails for my local music that Spotify does not have in its library.

Put the Shuffle All button back!

I can't believe they've removed this functionality! It's basically how I interact with the app 80% of the time and now I feel totally lost. I could easily  shuffle everything or entire genres of albums  inside playlist folders and now in down to playing single albums. Someone actually decided that this wonderful button was a waste of space and that we'd be better off without it. 

"Put the Shuffle All button back!"

Yeah I have a similar case with playlists that are separated based on the region of music, and which playlists I want to make public and which ones I want private. But I listen to all of them (as none of them have the same songs), so I pretty much use the Shuffle / Play All button on the playlist folders practically every single time I listen to my music. I barely listen to my individual playlists.

They already had this implemented in previous versions, so it'd be a matter simply of re-adding that part of the code and maybe a little debugging to re-implement it. To be brutally honest, at times like this and as a paying customer, I get a strong feeling to simply switch to Google Play music to not have to deal with shenanigans like this. Sigh...

Hey @rsol07!

This option's no longer available, but we'll let the right team know you miss it!

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kinda obvious that it's gone. However it's not very clear why since it's a key feature to use folders. Those folders are basically useless now. Also, it works on all devices except Android it seems.

I also am lost.  I have all of my jazz in one folder.  All of my other playlists in another.  Usually I can just hit shuffle play and enjoy the tunes. Suddnely it disappeared and I am lost.  I don't want to have to pick one group of songs. I love that I never know what's coming up on my commute.  You guys really messed up on this one.  Not threatening to leave my premium yet but it won't take long before I am tired of this.  Odd thing I can still shuffle play through my stereo at home from my iMac. What???

Hey @Alejandro_C,

Yes, there's one more thing - a little hint to your software dev team along with this issue. I think it's time to consider a beta testing program. 🙂 Better to solve these kind of issues in beta releases than mainstream ones right?

Really hope this gets brought back soon. In the meantime, it'll have to be the annoying and repetetive process of having a seperate "Shuffle" playlist in which you constantly remove and recopy all the songs from every other playlist (which by the way, you can only do on a computer, not a mobile device - so that's a pain too).

If you have a a desk or laptop at home with Spotify, you can start your big playlist on it and open Spotify on your phone before you leave home. It will still be playing the main list on your phone unless something f**ks up.

Spotify - Please Please Please!!!!!!!!! Add the Play All button back into the playlist selection page.

I have all my playlists grouped by genre and like to have access to my full music library to shuffle it.

I use this feature everyday. It is a big plus to me. Please bring it back! Otherwise I'll download the APK of the latest version in which we could find this feature and avoid updates...

* INFO UPDATE *

Seems like this issue has been brought up a few times in the past as a feature request before Playlist Folders were introduced. People have always wanted the ability to shuffle multiple playlists, and for a while the issue was addressed appropriately. Looking through all these previous posts, it confuses me even more as to how the Spotify team came to the conclusion that the "shuffle playlist folders" functionality should be made redundant. I'm speechless.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Playlists-Play-multiple-selected-Playlists/idi-p/1240798

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Newcomers-and-Contribution/Shuffle-Multiple-Playlists/td-p/1135025

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web-Player/REQUEST-How-to-merge-two-playlists...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/iOS-iPhone-iPad/Can-you-shuffle-all-playlists/td-p/49753

Bring this feature back! It was working, it was fine, it still works on desktop, and if you begin playing on the desktop and switch to mobile, it continues to play the shuffled folder, so the code is even still there to do it on the mobile version, the only thing missing is the button.  It seems that every feature I've wanted from spotify existed in the past but was removed for some reason by the time I wanted it. Now it's happening again, but this time with a feature that is already a key part of how I use spotify.

This was a good work around but it seems like the shuffle is only for a handful of songs and shuffles the mix over and over.

Please bring this back! I have a folder with different playlists in it too. Now I have to switch all the time. 

Does someone has the APK with this function still in it?

Add your voice (and vote!) to the chorus of frustration on this page and maybe Spotify will listen.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Mobile-Bring-Back-quot-Shuffle-All-quot-for-Playlist-Fol...

It would be fantastic to have this feature back.  Given that it's not currently possible to play, find or sort Your Music by genre (see here), I rely on a basic system of folders to do this, i.e. Genre/Artist/Album or Playlist.  Whilst this works OK on the desktop app (but no artwork?), as this thread indicates the mobile app doesn't allow folder playback, and I have to manually navigate to each playlist.  This is very tedious, and I would like to see more development time spent on features that allow subscribers to personalise their experience, rather than endless Spotify generated playlists, which whilst welcome shouldn't be the sole focus. 

I'm cancelling my account. This is ridiculous. 

I just updated the app on my iPad; wish I hadn't since the new verison - SUCKS!  The folder-shuffle feature was the only way I listened to Spotify.  Why even have folders if you can't shuffle from among the playlists inside them?  

PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE BACK.

Agreed, to know that it still worked for you before your update makes me even more upset that they disabled this simple but highly useful option.

Suggested posts