Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

This is getting embarassing..

This is getting embarassing..

How long has it been since the last update? 

We are still unable to do something as simple as save our freaking downloads to external SD. This should have been one of the FIRST things you should have got working since you are seriously limiting people to use the service they paid for. I now have 32gbs of space just sitting there useless.

At first I thought, just be patient, they are working hard on this. But it's almost 2 months later and we still haven't had a single update, not even a representative coming on these boards and informing their customers.

I know there is a way to get around this by installing the old version, which then in turn generates an XML somewhere with the path to where you want to save your files. But to me this is even more insult to injury, this should be a freaking easy fix.. Yet here I am still waiting.

I am a developer myself, and I can assure that I wouldn't get away with such lousy communication to my customers, and lack of updates. These things we are asking for are detrimental to an app like this, and having to wait months for these small fixes to come in is getting really emberassing from a company of this magnitude.

I'm going on a holiday next week, and I guess I will have to go and do the workaround posted on this forum and hope this doesn't screw anything else up. But if this crap still isn't fixed when I get back I will be looking for other services which don't treat their customers like absolute **uh-oh**.

EDIT: Just noticed someone from spotify posted on this board an hour ago saying they are aware of the issue.. I guess that's a start.. right?

16 Replies

I'm still waiting for the simple task of adding folder options...

@damunk wrote:

How long has it been since the last update? 

At first I thought, just be patient, they are working hard on this. But it's almost 2 months later ...

Actually it's less than a month - last update was 18th June and to be fair they did get that out quickly and it did fix a major issue (problems for people with non-English characters in their usernames) and address the general app stability. There's still a lot of issues and features that are just plain missing, and I'm hoping they've turned a corner in terms of getting things done in a sensible amount of time, but ... well we'll see

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

They haven't done anything to show they've turned any corners thus far?

Take the landscape issue for one. It's been just a few days short of 3 months since the preview version came out with this feature missing. This is a feature that would take no more than a few minutes to fix, yet we've had nothing other than them telling us how it's a 'high priority' fix. 3 month waiting for 5 minutes of coding is high priority?

I think the time for hoping and seeing is long gone, the evidence is already there for how they intend and continue to do things.

I will leave spotify as soon as a decent alternative comes out. I need 320kbps quality and a way of organization that doesnt look like a digital dogs dinner...in essense folders. Also, this dude who answers all the questions is condescending and limited in knowledge. 

You are heared by Spotify.

If you have more feedback, keep it coming!

@Dial_M wrote:

I will leave spotify as soon as a decent alternative comes out. I need 320kbps quality and a way of organization that doesnt look like a digital dogs dinner...in essense folders. Also, this dude who answers all the questions is condescending and limited in knowledge. 

you don't need 320kbps.  ogg is transparent at 128kbs.  that means it is indiscernable even to expert listeners who know what the compression artifacts sound like and how to listen for them.  the quality of the encoder used is an altogether separate issue, but just don't get hung up on bitrate.

there is no decent alternative for android -- maybe rdio is getting close, and seems to be much more responsive to its users than spotify -- i'd personally like to see spotify crash and burn for its deceptive and secretive customer communication policy, and particularly for its utter disregard for android.

Thanks for the info. So spotify use ogg? I could swear they said their option in the latest beta "extreme quality" was 320kbps, which would point to mp3's. In any case the extreme option doesnt work at the moment.

Yes I agree they have a monopoly of sorts, but I think the consumer will have a LOT of better alternatives in the future. Bands dont care if they get royalties from 500 different spotify type products...

True. However, the trouble with competing products is that they start negotiating 'exclusive' deals to try and convince everyone they are the best.

See the current Lovefilm vs. Netflix vs. ? offerings - no one has all the content and so the end-customer loses. Many people I've spoken to have gotten fed up of having to subscribe to more than one of the services to get what they actually want so have unsubscribed from them all.

If that were to happen with music then the artists would start to care.

EDIT: In no way am I suggesting that competition is bad. Just that it has to be equal on a content level and compete on other things - features/price/reliability etc. ... and that's unlikely to happen 

----------------

Dial_M - The current Android app does indeed offer 320kbps, as well as offer folder support.

Feedback is important and is genuinely noted. I can assure you the developers do keep an eye on these threads.
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

@Sam wrote:
Dial_M - The current Android app does indeed offer 320kbps, as well as offer folder support.

I think the request was for the ability to manage folders within the app. It does offer folder support in that you can view folders you have created, but the only way to create folders is elsewhere.

----------------

@Sam wrote:

Feedback is important and is genuinely noted. I can assure you the developers do keep an eye on these threads.

Folder support in the loosest sense. You can navigate folders that have been created on the desktop (or on an iOS device I guess since they always seem to have more functionality than Android).

You can't...

• Create folders
  • Move existing playlists between folders
  • Rename folders
  • Sort or rearrange folders
  • You name it, almost anything useful you might want to do with folders... you cant!

Fine Sam, Just give us an update on the SDcard, right away. Please!

Dare I ask you for a date for next version. As someone pointed out it's been three months since the release of your beta for this most current (backward directed) version.

@Dial_M wrote:

Thanks for the info. So spotify use ogg? I could swear they said their option in the latest beta "extreme quality" was 320kbps, which would point to mp3's. In any case the extreme option doesnt work at the moment.

Yes I agree they have a monopoly of sorts, but I think the consumer will have a LOT of better alternatives in the future. Bands dont care if they get royalties from 500 different spotify type products...

yes they use ogg.  the 320k "extreme quality" was their response to people who think bitrates can be compared across formats, which of course they cannot.  since MOG (and possibly other services) offers 320k (mp3), spotify felt they'd lose customers who don't understand that 320k mp3 is NOT equal to 320k ogg.  transparency in mp3 is entirely different.  i think you need to be at 160k or maybe 192k for transparency in mp3.

you would think that some company would spring up here and offer a kick-ass solution for android, but it just ain't happenin.

From what I've read there's very little difference in quality between MP3 320kbps and Ogg -q9 - although of course YMMV and it depends a lot on how the music was transcoded and compressed in the first place and then also on what it is being played through.

Most people won't hear the difference between MP3 and Ogg, but some can.

As an aside, Ogg -q9 has an effective bitrate of around 320kbps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorbis#Technical_details. Hence Spotify's statement I guess - more people understand the bitrate comparison than would understand if it was quoted as q9:
----------------

@SteveBrammer wrote:
Folder support in the loosest sense. You can navigate folders that have been created on the desktop (or on an iOS device I guess since they always seem to have more functionality than Android). 

Steve,

Folders on iOS and Android function in exactly the same way. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

I stand corrected. Not to worry, I'm sure iOS users will get that functionality before Android users anyway.

Suggested posts