Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Tracks Randomly Not Playing

Tracks Randomly Not Playing

I know that there are lots of posts floating around with similar issues. But I'd thought mine seems to have a recurring theme. 

I have a playlist which I would like to listen to a lot more than I do. I'd like to listen to it on my phone, but I know that within a few songs the sound will stop. Sometimes the songs don't play from the start!

The playlist - Classical

This appears to happen on one playlist specifically. I remember this same problem happening on my old Android phone but that affected any second song in the queue... I had to restart my phone everytime I wanted to play a track. 

My steps:

When I notice that it is not going to play. I usually check out the song screen. No matter how long I wait, when I go to the song screen the track starts playing (with no sound) from 0 minutes 0 seconds. And when I go away and come back it has moved along normally.

Sometimes, I wait, and the song eventually plays.

Sometimes I can go tap a few random other songs and one will play, then I can go back to the silent one and it now plays.

Sometimes nothing plays and I just want to punch my phone in the face and cancel Spotify premium and go back to CDs. But I don't have a CD player.

It's hard to recreate exactly but for some reason it seems to really affect that playlist I linked to! And I do believe it happens every time I listen to it. On or Offline mode.

Hope someone can help.

THIS IS NOT A VOLUME CONTROL PROBLEM

I'VE ALSO DONE THAT CLEARING THE CACHE THING BEFORE TOO 

15 Replies

Hi. Could you please try this. In the desktop client, create a new empty playlist then move all the tracks into See if the music plays correctly from the new playlist.

Sorry for the very late reply. I remember reading this response but must have forgotten about it. 

I just retried this now and it still doesn't work. 

I created a new playlist called "Classical New". Went to the phone, started from track 1. Track 1 and 2 played fine right through. Track 3 does not start. The time along he bottom in track view is repeatedly counting from 0 to some number then randomly resetting to 0.

Another thing to note. Once this problem starts, it affects all playback. I cannot listen to anything on my phone, or anything which I've searched for and streamed until the problem goes away. I don't know when the problem goes away but it does eventually.

I MUST REPEAT, this ONLY affects this one playlist. I listen to lots of other playlists plenty of times with no interruptions. I know I should probably just delete the playlist and do away with it.

I made it to combat stress....

Hi again. I'm listening to your original playlist on my android at the moment to see if I have the same problem. Just a quick question - have you downloaded the music to your phone or are you streaming from spotify?

OK so I can reproduce this on my Google Nexus 7 running android 4.2.2 and spotify version 0.6.5.183, streaming  over both wifi and 3G.

1. Select the first track in this playlist to play and allow the tracks to play in order.

2. On hitting track 3, there is no sound. The playbar moves as expected and stops on reaching the end. Pause button still displayed and does not move on to the next track.

3. Hitting pause resets play bar to 0.01 and pressing play now works.

4. Go back to the playlist and select track 4 - no sound again. Hit pause then play and we have sound.

5. Changing streaming quality doesn't change things.

Once this has happened, other playlists have the same issue until you pause/play but offline music plays without this.

6. This doesn't happen on the desktop client or web player.

I'm going to escalate this to the Spotify guys. There's something odd going on here.

This is very good news. Glad to hear it is reproducible.

I look forward to a response.

Thanks for letting us know about this. Before we escalate this further, can we try 'resetting' the playlist on your account? You won't lose any of the tracks, but it might ask you to resync if you've done this already.

Check out how we're doing: @SpotifyStatus

Did this help? Please click 'Accept as Solution'.

Yeah I don't mind as long as it comes back.

I have this same issue. To fix it i useally play a song thats just played and then go back to the song. 

Othertimes letting it play for a minute wit no sound, it then jumps back to the begining and starts playing with sound. Its not just songs that im streaming, it happens to songs i have downloaded as well. 

Yep same issue as has been diagnosed. Sit tight, think they're looking into a resolution now. 

I got Android myself. Im having the same issue quite often. That seems to happen most often when skipping tracks...like 4 or 5 and then it goes silent mode. In my case i get sound back if i go to another playlist and start another song...then when i get back to the one i was listening earlyer it starts playing again. Sometimes closing Spotify also helps, but not always.

matthewcanty - sorry for the radio silence. I've tried a few things on your account. Could you please try reinstalling the Spotify app and let us know how you get on. Sorry for the trouble, but it's good to start from scratch with these kind of things.

tankmc and LeDogg - just to be sure, do you have a lot of free space on your device? Does this happen on wifi/data/both?

Check out how we're doing: @SpotifyStatus

Did this help? Please click 'Accept as Solution'.

errrm... It seems you might have tried erasing the contents of my Classical playlist.

I have plenty of free space. I have experienced this on wifi and data. This also happened on my Sony Xperia X10 mini.

I've just force closed the app, cleared cache, cleared data, uninstalled, reinstalled and opened the app. Logged in and found the offending playlist is empty.

The issue is NOT resolved. Listening to the downloaded tracks in order, track 1 and 2 okay. Track 3 failed to start.

Classical

So here I am where this issue annoys me most of all. On the bus home from work. My classical playlist is significantly reduced now as I didn't realise you could put playlists in folders before... That's besides the point, track 1 okay, track 2 okay. No track 3 and no music at all now!

Maybe I'll make a playlist with just those three songs and try again.

I'm still experiencing the same issue. Has there been any progress on this topic?

Suggested posts