Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Tracks appear to download correctly when blocked by internet filter

Tracks appear to download correctly when blocked by internet filter

When I am at home on my wifi, and I download songs to my device everything works great. 

When connected to my work's wifi, tracks seem to download successfully, but these tracks do not play audio when played.  The song will appear to play, ie the track position increments every second,  but no audio is produced.   If I try to jump to different time positions in the track, the player starts back at the beginning of the track, again with no audio playing.   

I assume the filter at my place of work is blocking the download but the spotify app is not smart enough to know the download didn't work.  I of course don't expect the download to work when being blocked by a filter, but I do expect the app to know the download failed.  To furhter add to the evidence the download is being blocked, downloads go way quicker at work than they should.  I can however stream music while at work on my mobile device.  Just the downloads seem to fail.

This is an issue, because to fix I have to remove the track from "my music" then remember to add it back again later.  Not exactly ideal. 

If it helps troubleshoot the issue, the Internet filter being used at my work is called ScanSafe.

My device is a samsung S3 running Android 4.3.    My spotify android app is version 1.1.0.113.  I have a SD card mounted.

2 Replies

Can you play any content whilst connected to your work WiFi (not in offline playlists)?

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Apologies, upon furhter troubleshooting, being at my place of work does not seem to be the problem.  However, I do still have a problem where downloaded tracks will ocasionaly not play audio.  I have to remove the tracks and add them back to fix.  The problem has only occured while downloading from my works wi-fi but I tried downloading some tracks today while at work and they played fine. 

The no audio problem on a downloaded track is still an issue, just not cuased by what I suspected and I do not know how to reproduce the issue.   For example with the recent update where we had to redownload everything.... I did so at work, my entrie collection only took about 1 minute to download (+500 tracks at high quality) and not a single one played correctly.  I did a wipe everything from the settings and tried again at home and it worked.

Suggested posts