Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Turn off Spotify Connect

Solved!

Turn off Spotify Connect

How do I disable Spotify Connect?  

If I've got my tablet (iPad) running the app, I definitely don't want my phone running it and draining the battery with the app running there as well.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit by @Daniel 

I've just added a guide on ways of disabling Spotify Connect. Hopefully there will be a way of enabling/disabling the service at will in the future.

How to disable Spotify Connect

MODERATOR EDIT:

Hey everyone, Spotify staff here. Recently we updated the Community Idea "Make Spotify Connect a choice" with the status "Not Right Now".

If you've installed our latest Spotify app for Android (1.8.0) and you're still having trouble with battery drain please let us know right here. 

We'd also like to mention these other Connect ideas which are a bit more specific to the Connectrequests you've made in this thread. Please leave your kudos and feedback in those as well if they apply to the reasons you'd like to turn off Spotify Connect.

If you don't see the idea you'd like to see, please feel free to make a new idea and post a link in this thread. We're keeping a close eye on your feedback and we're actively bringing it back to the right teams. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I've just added a guide on ways of disabling Spotify Connect. Hopefully there will be a way of enabling/disabling the service at will in the future. I'm also adding this detail to the first post for clarity.

How to disable Spotify Connect

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

View solution in original post

437 Replies

hi ya,

how can i disable/remove Spotify Connect?

any advice help would be aprecated 

Cyril

I'm not sure you can. May I ask why?

You can stop it connecting with other devices by going to the connect screen and setting it to connect to iteslf, if that's what you want.

hi

how do i  by going to the connect screen and setting it to connect to iteslf?

that is what i want stop it conecting to other devices 

how do i do that?

Play a track and go to the album cover screen by tapping the small album cover at the bottom. Then tap the connect speaker icon at the bottom right of the screen and the page showing devices you can connect to will display. One of the devices will be the device in your hand. Just select that.

Slightly confused to what you mean? Your iPad will only "see" your android device if the Spotify application is running already on it.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Sorry for not being clearer.

If I have Spotify running on my iPad, it automatically launches the app on my Android phone (Google Nexus 5).

I could be off base, but it seems that by launching it on my phone, it's draining the battery on my phone even though I don't want it running on the phone.  My phone and tablet are sitting next to each other.  

Is there a way to disable the Connect feature?  I like the idea of it, but I would like to control when it runs.  Now, there could be a setting that I completely missed.

Thank you for the quick response!

I'm just confused to how the iPad could actually launch Spotify remotely if it wasn't already running on your android device in some way, since the iPad app must get a reply from the android device to say "Yeah I'm here" which would require Spotify to be running on the android device in the first place.

Checking with my android device (which is an S4), from my iPhone I can see the android device as you mentioned, but for instance the android device doesn't show on the lock screen what is playing like it would if the full app was running. If I force close Spotify on android from Android Settings > Applications > Spotify > Force close, my iPhone can no longer see it.

Which makes me wonder, is the Spotify app on android running all of the time, regardless if you are using connect (you can just see it with Connect).

Peter

I'm wondering the same thing.  I had just turned on my Nexus, so it's possible it fired up on start.   Like you said, the only indication is the icon sitting in the top bar of my phone.  If I go in and kill Spotify on the phone (the process and service), my iPad and Nexus are no longer linked.  Even if the process and service has been manually killed on the Nexus, my iPad can still fire it up and play Spotify on the phone, so does it really kill it?

It would be great if there was a setting to enable/disable connect on each device.  I like the concept of Connect, but I don't know if there's a drain on either device to have it running all of the time.

I have the same problem but the music "jumps" back and forth between my samsung s4 and samsung tab. After connect came spotify is ruined for me, connect could have been turned off the problem haved been fixed

Why would I want this running on a mobile device?  The point is that I'm carrying it with me.  If I have the sound piped out through external speakers, will I be able really hear that if I leave the room?  And if the device is mobile, then I'm problaby don't need to worry about another mobile device located who knows where?  I don't have to be on the same network.  I can be at work all day and listen to Spotify on whatever device I may have with me.  When I get home, it's been fired up on every other device that has it installed.  

So basically, I get to drain all the baterries on all of my devices at the same time, and all for one low montly price.

While I can understand why this might be use and good in theory, the execution is not. 

I have escalated this to the Spotify team to see if they have any more details on how it is meant to operate.

If Spotify is launching itself on other devices via Connect (which I do wonder how its possible unless Spotify has a service running or something) then it does seem restricted to android devices.

Peter

Thank you for looking into this.

When I look at running applications on my Nexus 5, it has Spotify listed as running 1 process and 1 service.   When I fire up my iPad, I can see the connecting message beneath the my phone listing in the connect devices.

Thanks again!

I use a samsung tab at work but throughout the day the tab stops playing and mobile phone starts to play, although how I try and close spotify on your phone it hapens 10-20 time at a work day.
Almost every time I talk in the phone and ends the call the tab stops and the phone starts to play. Have and had episodes where I can not manage to stop the music playing even if I close the spotify,had to restart the phone.

Hi guys,

Just to confirm -- if you're using Spotify on your iPad, when not using Connect at all (i.e. not selecting the Connect icon), your Android device is opening Spotify?

Could you post exact steps you're following to recreate this, starting with the Spotify app closed on both devices?

--------------------------------------------------------------

For common support questions, see support.spotify.com.
To judge my musical taste, check out my last.fm.

hey happen exactly as I explained, even though I had started the phone twice today to be sure spotify is completely off and still happend. Have not used spotify on the phone ether, Have not used the connect icone on the samsung tab ether.

Does android start all apps when you reboot it (like iOS does - I normally sit and force close them all!)?

Peter

Hi - I'd like to turn off Spotify Connect as well, it's really annoying! I don't remember "connecting" my two phones in the first place!

How do I disconnect them? I don't want one to start playing when I press play on the other, which is what's happening now. Nor do I want to have to select which device I actually want to play on when playing music, I just want music to play on whichever device I'm using at the time, and I want different playlists on each. Just because they're connected to the same wifi network doesn't mean I want them to do the same thing!

Thanks, 

Tony

Hi... I have a problem with this as well - I find it incredibly annoying. For example, I was out picking up a pizza and listening to spotify in my car... When I got home my girlfriend began listening to Spotify on her cell phone - and my cell phone began playing music from it because my device was the last selected. If at all possible, I'd like there to be a feature to turn this option OFF entirely. I can't see it being logical to have this on by default. I enjoyed the option that stopped my device from playing completely when someone else was using the same account from another machine, hopefully you can bring this back because it totally makes more sense than the way it is now.

I don't like the ability with anyone who has access to the account to be able to play music on any device that has the app open as well. This can be quite embarrassing if someone accidentally clicks on your device, say, as you go into a meeting with your phone in your pocket and it begins playing "It's raining men" or something... I hope you can understand my sentiment! Again this can be fixed if you just gave us an option to turn this off entirely for any (or all) device(s).

Interestingly Spotify probably didn't consider that scenario since account sharing in their eye's is outside of the ToS.

Peter

Suggested posts