Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Turn off Spotify Connect

Solved!

Turn off Spotify Connect

How do I disable Spotify Connect?  

If I've got my tablet (iPad) running the app, I definitely don't want my phone running it and draining the battery with the app running there as well.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit by @Daniel 

I've just added a guide on ways of disabling Spotify Connect. Hopefully there will be a way of enabling/disabling the service at will in the future.

How to disable Spotify Connect

MODERATOR EDIT:

Hey everyone, Spotify staff here. Recently we updated the Community Idea "Make Spotify Connect a choice" with the status "Not Right Now".

If you've installed our latest Spotify app for Android (1.8.0) and you're still having trouble with battery drain please let us know right here. 

We'd also like to mention these other Connect ideas which are a bit more specific to the Connectrequests you've made in this thread. Please leave your kudos and feedback in those as well if they apply to the reasons you'd like to turn off Spotify Connect.

If you don't see the idea you'd like to see, please feel free to make a new idea and post a link in this thread. We're keeping a close eye on your feedback and we're actively bringing it back to the right teams. 
437 Replies

Hey @MrDelicious great solution for Android users, however on iOS you are unable to execute these commands.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

This needs to be fixed it is ridiculous. Seems like a convient way of only allowing one device at a time, putting an end to multiple people using one account at the same time. This feature may be the deal breaker for me. -endrant

I'm having the same issue since a few weeks. First of all it's very annoying that when I turn on spotify at work, it will automatically launch spotify on my Android phone, keeping it out of it's DeepSleep state and thus draining the battery much more than necessary. Secondly, this also gives me an "Spotify is pauzed because it is used at an different location" error on my desktop every now and then.

I agree this needs to be changed. Just trying to listen to music on my work computer and it keeps launching the app on my phone. Then the computer player is controlled by my phone and has weird settings. It keeps pulling them from the mobile. I don't want my phone involved in this at all. Just want to listen on my desktop. Then when I leave work, pop on spotify in my car, no worries. This current system is annoying and wasteful (battery).

Update:

Got into my car to leave work. Car links automatically through bluetooth and begins to play music but, I don't hear any audio. Have to pull out my phone to see it is playing the music on my work computer. Why is this a thing?

Please fix this! This is so annoying!

Scenario 1:

I am at work hearing music on spotify... go home let my Spotify turned on at work. Drive my with my car, listen via bluetoothradio spotify.. came home turn on PC, start music.

When i now wake my phone up - Spotify

1,) stop playing Music on my Home PC or

2,) will change the title to the last i heard with my phone on my way home or

3,) run normal and nothing happens.

Scenario 2:

I am at work hearing music on spotify... go home let my Spotify turned on at work. I drive home and listen to a Audio Book.

My Audiobook will..

1,) Stop and Spotify wakes up in my notification bar

2,) run normal and nothing happens 

This behavior is new to me and i use spotify at least 1 1/2 year and that never happend.

Please get this fixed asap.

Is use a LG G3 Android with Stockrom

Found this thread while googling to see if there was any way to stop spotify connect from my phone and my desktop. This only started being a problem three days ago. When I listen at home, I use computer only. The mobile app keeps launching on its own. I close it immediately but it reliably relaunches sometimes immediately, sometimes after a half hour or so. I cannot predict when it will reopen. This wouldn't be a big problem, but IT ERASES MY DESKTOP QUEUE EVERY TIME. I read through this whole thread and do not appreciate the official replies saying "this feature works, there is no problem." There is a problem. Controlling my desktop spotify through my phone would be fine, the problem is THE MOBILE APP LAUNCHES ON ITS OWN AND ERASES MY QUEUE AND CHANGES WHAT I'M LISTENING TO, BY ITSELF, WHILE PLUGGED IN ACROSS THE ROOM. What am I supposed to do about that? Just make the queue on my phone instead? And this thread has been enlightening. I never heard of spotify connect before it started ruining my listening experience three days ago, but apparently this has been a problem since FEBRUARY and instead of fixing it they just expanded it to desktop apps too? This sucks. I had to uninstall the mobile app from my android to get it to stop. Why do I pay for this again? I will pay DOUBLE what I pay now to be able to turn off spotify connect.

Jordi wrote:

Hey @MrDelicious great solution for Android users, however on iOS you are unable to execute these commands.

It's not a great solution - it's a terrible solution. Force kill is supposed to be an act of last resort when an application has stopped responding and there's no other way to fix the issue. Force kill risks data corruption or loss because the application is not given any notification or chance to save its state properly.

The solution also requires the use of third party software. We shouldn't require third party software to be able to use Spotify in a sensible way.

The solution given is a hack that should be completely unnecessary.

There needs to be an option to keep our devices and their play queues separate.

This was enabled for me recently, have a great purpose but it's non sense, waste of battery and data plan.

Only solution until now it's enable offline mode when im on my computer.

Everyone who's following this thread and have the same issue please give kudos to this idea and spread the word to everyone possible so we can make this bloody thing optional!

Give kudos here: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Make-Spotify-Connect-a-choise/idi-p/729015

I have decided to put my complaint in the Play Store with a 1 star rating and a link to this page!

This feature is dreadful. Drains my phone battery as if Im listening to music on it when I am using my desktop. Worst part is that if I make a queue or playlist on the desktop, the phone seems to override it.

Make it optional.

I'm a converted Pandora user who decided to pay the increased monthly fee for the sole purpose of unlimited skips. This new "connect" feature that was automaticly updated to my device, is causing me to seriously consider dropping the service. 

The is absolutely NO reason why Spotify should be launching itself on my phone, when I am listening on my desktop. My battery only lasts about 4 hours now. I shouldn't have to go in "offline" mode or do any other "work around". I should be able to disable the "connect" feature completely, as I have no intention of ever using it, ever. 

I suspect its been added as a way to stop one account being used across multiple devices at once. DRM veiled as a 'feature'.

Marked as solution

I've just added a guide on ways of disabling Spotify Connect. Hopefully there will be a way of enabling/disabling the service at will in the future. I'm also adding this detail to the first post for clarity.

How to disable Spotify Connect

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Has this been solved?  The stupid spotify connect doesn't shut off and it will keep switching my playlist and stops the music on my laptop.  It's really a pain.

@roblarsen wrote:

I have a feeling that the numbers are going to increase as they've rolled Connect out to more people. I never knew about the feature until Spotify hijacked my phone yesterday and I just got an email announcing it as a new feature about ten minutes ago.  

Looks like I was right as I'm getting pinged on this issue all the time and the number of likes on the idea went from 59 to 130 in just a couple of days. 

Thank heavens for root.  I went in using root and disabled the service.

I use Spotify Premium for different things on different devices.  On my desk, I listen to instrumental music so that it is less distracting to others in my office.  When in my car, I listen to different playlists.  At one time, I could listen to one playlist in the car, then step into my office and pick up where I left off in a different playlist.  Now, sometimes while I'm in my car, Spotify starts playing my music on the PC, and sometimes the playlists change from the one I'm using on my iPhone.  I understand that some people probably like to keep listening to the same thing wherever they are, but that doesn't work in my situation.  This really just became an issue in the past few weeks, and seems to become increasingly more annoying.  Please give us a toggle.

I just uninstalled spotify and cancelled my subscription because this feature keeps stopping my music and changing lists.

Oh the irony... I get email notifications whenever someone replies to this thread. They are received on my cell phone, which ends up it pausing the music on my desktop every time. And then when I go to restart it, the station has changed to the last station on my mobile app. 

100% awful.

Suggested posts