Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Turn off Spotify Connect

Solved!

Turn off Spotify Connect

How do I disable Spotify Connect?  

If I've got my tablet (iPad) running the app, I definitely don't want my phone running it and draining the battery with the app running there as well.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit by @Daniel 

I've just added a guide on ways of disabling Spotify Connect. Hopefully there will be a way of enabling/disabling the service at will in the future.

How to disable Spotify Connect

MODERATOR EDIT:

Hey everyone, Spotify staff here. Recently we updated the Community Idea "Make Spotify Connect a choice" with the status "Not Right Now".

If you've installed our latest Spotify app for Android (1.8.0) and you're still having trouble with battery drain please let us know right here. 

We'd also like to mention these other Connect ideas which are a bit more specific to the Connectrequests you've made in this thread. Please leave your kudos and feedback in those as well if they apply to the reasons you'd like to turn off Spotify Connect.

If you don't see the idea you'd like to see, please feel free to make a new idea and post a link in this thread. We're keeping a close eye on your feedback and we're actively bringing it back to the right teams. 
437 Replies

Please give us an option to switch it off. Watching TV when all of a sudden music came blaring out of my phone also lost all my offline playlists as my phone went online for some unknown reason. Don't really fancy listening to my son's Eminem and Kanye thank you.

Hey,

thanks for the fast answer, you´re right 🙂

No bugs to report here, I'm just like everyone else where I wish I could turn the feature off.

I was walking aroud Wickes when Bob The Builder started blasting out my phone. This was because my girlfriend was on the iPad at home and decided it'd be funny to send music to play out my speakers. I'd like the option to hide my device so people can't pick up another one of my devices and start sending music to me.

Same problem here, please add possibility to disable Spotify Connect.

Connect is right now only negative feature. It's buggy and useless.

For example I can imagine I'd like to start music playback on my tablet in different room and connected to my sound system remotely from my phone but you cannot even do that. When the playback is stopped, you cannot start it remotely, if a playlist runs to end, you cannot restart it. You can only remotely control playback on another device if it's already playing something it seems.

@pmm_fin It looks like they've made some changes to the way connect works between mobile devices in response to the numerous complaints about music unexpectedly playing from another device.

As far as I can tell, if you want to use connect with another mobile device now, that device has to have spotify open in the foreground and must not be in sleep mode. If your other device is connected to a charger, you could stop it from sleeping at all and then you will  be able to control it as you want.

Unfortunately, I think you'll need to install an app such as Red Eye to keep it awake.

OK, after several weeks of putting up with this nonsense I have changed my mind. I don't see any value or use for the connect feature. It doesn't do one single thing I want it to. It's a useless, clunky, buggy pain in the ass. Please just ditch it.

Add me to the list - this thing is unbelievably annoying.  I get the point about terms of use but in reality, if I'm out with my phone and someone in the family wants to stream some tunes at home, who's not gonna do that?  Even if you use it legitimately, it's still super annoying.  I have an old iphone in my car connected to my car stereo, and another phone.  I sat there yesterday wondering why the hell I was controlling Spotify with one phone but it was playing out of the other one.  In theory I see the point for external speakers, but most of these can pick up Spotify via bluetooth anyway.  Please, just make an off switch!

For those wondering:

Spotify has two processes in Android.

The first process is the SpotifyService.  This is what we think of as the "app", it's what plays the audio, shows the UI when called, etc.

The second process is the TrackingService.  While that sounds creepy, it is the process that talks back and forth with Spotify's servers about current play status.  It is essential to the Connect feature, as it receives the play-to commands from the Spotify servers.

Essentially, it seems like Connect represents a fundamental shift in where Spotify stores its play queue.  Rather than store it on each device individually, it keeps that information on the server, then sends the audio to the appropriate device.  That's why the play queue is now "synced" across each device, and real-time play status can be shown on each device.  If you go offline, that data is stored locally and uploaded to the server when reconnected, just like your play history is.

Waking up the app on the Android device may or may not be intended behavior.  Though, playing on the last device played to if available is likely intended as a convenience; I would hope that it is time-dependent (i.e. if you were using that device in the last x amount of time, it will try to play there again using your current device as the "controller"), but haven't been able to confirm anything.  That would account for the "I tried to play it here, but it started playing on x instead" comments.  As for iOS, it probably utilizes a different system for Connect to work, as the two OSs handle backrgound processes very differently.

Off switch for this is absolutely needed.

It is a problem when the 2nd device is my Android cellphone - and it interferes with other operations I have running...

I have multiple devices that are mine, but aren't just used by me, and sometimes are used simultaneously. Spotify Connect is really really bothersome when multiple people are trying to listen to music but I don't have the money to spend getting a separate subscription for like 4 devices... Can someone please tell me how to maybe fix this without buying separate subscriptions, or maybe tell me how to possibly allow that at least 2 devices to run separately on spotify without interupting each other?

Use two different accounts is the only way (unless you want to force one into offline mode and only listen to offline playlists).

You can use Spotify free accounts on iOS and android Spotify now.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thank you Peter.  not the answer I wanted - but that was what I was suspecting.

Alright.

I have on several different occasions started playing Spotify on businessphone when at the office and it starts playing on my personal phone. Not a good situation, having music blasting in the office.

I understand the streamless functionality, but I can't be the only one experiencing this.

The only way that Connect is useful (as I see it) is if I can control my desktop-Spotify with my phone, like a remote.

This cannot be done and therefore Connect is totally useless to me (except for creating awkward situations at work 😉 )

So PLEASE! Make it possible to disable Connect on your phone!

hi,

I agree with Olivid.
I understand It can be useful but it is very boring when two devices need to play differents playlists on differents places.

thanks to make it possible to switch off this functionnality, otherwise if I can't disable Connect from my mobile devices, I will stop my Premium Account.

+1

I want to disable spotify connect

This is what happened to me yesterday when using Spotify... 

I have two phones, Phone One is my usual day to day phone which hosts Android Spotify with my usual day to day playlists. My other phone, Phone Two, I use exclusively for running, and it's only got Spotify and Endomondo (exercise tracking app) installed on it. I have a couple of playlists I use just for running, and these are the only two I have downloaded on Phone Two.  

So yesterday I downloaded a couple of albums onto Phone One for lsitening to at work, and one was still playing as I got home. I stop playback on Phone One and leave it one side. I was connected to the internet on this phone by mobile data, not wifi. I switch on Phone Two, get ready for a run, and when Phone Two has finished booting up, with Wifi already on from when it was last powered down, it starts streaming and playing the album I had previously been listening to on my other phone. (remember I had already stopped playback on Phone One) 

What's more, I couldn't select either of the two running playlists that I had previously downloaded onto Phone Two. I had to disconnect the wifi, Force Stop Spotify and restart. 

Please make Connect something I have to actively select. Please, it's ruining Spotify for me.

Hi all, I've posted this as a suggestion, if people could support it we might be able to get it in Spotify!

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Option-to-disable-Spotify-Connect/idi-p/794635

Peter,

you keep wandering 3 times how it could launch if it wasn't already running on the android...

Well I think the people at spotify should use this direction to look for a solution.

I have the exact same problem en please stop wondering... Spotify is NOT running on my phone and yes my son started a song on his phone and it started on my phone playing.

So it simply does start unwanted to play a song.

It is anoying and this would be the end of spotify for me if it is not solved soon.

So please make a turn off button for connect. I do not need it!

Michiel.

Suggested posts