Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Turn off Spotify Connect

Solved!

Turn off Spotify Connect

How do I disable Spotify Connect?  

If I've got my tablet (iPad) running the app, I definitely don't want my phone running it and draining the battery with the app running there as well.

Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit by @Daniel 

I've just added a guide on ways of disabling Spotify Connect. Hopefully there will be a way of enabling/disabling the service at will in the future.

How to disable Spotify Connect

MODERATOR EDIT:

Hey everyone, Spotify staff here. Recently we updated the Community Idea "Make Spotify Connect a choice" with the status "Not Right Now".

If you've installed our latest Spotify app for Android (1.8.0) and you're still having trouble with battery drain please let us know right here. 

We'd also like to mention these other Connect ideas which are a bit more specific to the Connectrequests you've made in this thread. Please leave your kudos and feedback in those as well if they apply to the reasons you'd like to turn off Spotify Connect.

If you don't see the idea you'd like to see, please feel free to make a new idea and post a link in this thread. We're keeping a close eye on your feedback and we're actively bringing it back to the right teams. 
437 Replies

+1

All of a sudden my phone, which is sitting right next to my desktop computer, is running spotify with connect on so that I can, what? Remote control my desktop from my phone? How the hell do I disable this "feature" Spotify thinks I really want my battery wasted, but I can assure you, I'd rather not waste power for soemthing I will never use. 

I have two laptops and two phones all with spotify installed. Are all four devices going to turn on every time I start the app? 

For some reason this has started "acting up" all of a sudden for me. Never used to do so before but I think Spotify would just say that it has started to "working" as it should...

And it's annoying as a flipping fracking fug! Everytime I get into work my workstation has grabbed the song from my phone and my phone now want's to controll my workstation. FFS!

Anyways, how can this still be an issue since February!??
It's super easy: put an on/off switch for the service itself and also put individual switches for each device on the connect screen (for those who still want to use it on some devices but not all). Done!

The count on this thread is 102 very anoyed people and still nothing been done. I'm sure there's probably at least 3 times more people out there with the same pain that don't bother with writing here.

Just like everyone else has said, this is extremley simple to implement from a coding and testing perspective. Is the product owner even reading this?

Bad customer support makes you loose a lot of revenue Spotify.

Any news on this?  Not only is connect disruptive by it's endless nagging that can't be disabled, but it just can't give up.   I've before been so close to cancelling the subscription than I am now.  

Same complaint, very annoying, please kill the feature. 

This just started happening to me today out of nowhere. There was no update today so I don't know why it started. I put my phone on offline mode to disable Connect. Still very annoying. 

So I just upgraded to spotify yesterday and I am now considering completely canceling my subscription because of this feature. I understand the idea of it, yeah it would be cool to control your music that is coming out of your desktop speakers when you aren't right next to the computer by using your phone, but since that is never a situation I am in I can't stand this feature. If I am listening to spotify at home then I am in front of my laptop already, I have no need for my phone to tell me what song I am listening to, that information is already right there on the screen. I'm going to wait a while before canceling my subscription but if a feature to turn off the connectivity isn't added by then I am not going to think twice about canceling it because this "feature" is a bigger annoyance than the occasional ad.

This feature sucks and i want it OFF

I was driving and listening in my car on my mobile, then the music changed by itself, and now i can't listen music on my computer, it has no sound or it plays on my phone.

I could cancel my subscription for that !

So Spotify, my desktop now launches the app on my Android phone.  The idea that my phone is being controlled by my laptop makes no sense.  If I'm working on MY laptop, why would MY phone need to launch and run the Spotify app?  As you can tell, both device are mine and used by me, so why would they need to be running simultaneously?  If I'm working on my laptop, then I'm not driving around with my phone.  If I' working on my laptop, I could be be talking on my phone, but I can't talk on my phone and listen to music on that same device at the same time.

Can somebody from Spotify at least acknowledge that we are having problems and respond?

I've only just noticed this thing exists today, I don't know if today's update of the Android app has just started it wokring for me, but it's really annoying.

I don't want it running on my phone. If I manually close Spotify on my phone it immediately relaunches and connects again, which causes the music playing on my desktop to pause.

Let me turn it off, please!

They don't care, this problem has been deemed "solved". The general idea is that they mostly believe its a user issue, that somehow we don't know how to operate this function properly - which is a bunch of crap. Personally, I switched to google play months ago and haven't looked back.

Here I was hoping that the new update would bring some relief but eh, more social features. Yay.

Can someone PLEASE acknowledge whether this will be fixed or if I should just go to Google Music?

It isn't that the developers don't care, it is that the Connect feature, as described by everyone in this thread, is "working as intended". Connect is inteded to allow you to remotely control Spotify to any device from any device logged into your Spotify account. More than that, it also acts as a "Now Playing" list sync to allow you to continue listening to music seamlessly while moving from one device to the next. From the comments here, that is what is happening.

The issue is marked as "solved" because the original topic (calling for an "off" button of some kind) was turned into an "Idea" as a feature request. If you want an off button, or wish to vent about specific ways that Connect works, that is where you need to go. This thread has basically become a catch-all for all Connect-related venting, which should be done on the Idea, not in the Help forum.

I understand that you believe it is "working as intended", however this is not the case, read the comments. The feature starts randomly and you can't turn it off, Im sure that cant be "as intended".

Also, catch-all threads, are what pop up in Google when people who are new to the issue, search for a resolution to this annoying feature.

I think the solution was removed, at least it's not appearing as solved to me?

I disagree that it's working as intended. This is the same as if I wasn't able to turn off cellular syncing or Facebook sharing. A non-optional feature like this is a broken and having an Off-switch wouldn't just be something that would be cool to have in the future, it's a fix to poorly designed functionality.

It does appear as if the OP removed the solution; for those who would like it the Idea for an "Off switch" for Connect: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Make-Spotify-Connect-a-choise/idi-p/729015  Put your Kudos and grievances there, and the development team will be able to keep better track of it. That said, with 56 kudos in the last 9 months, I wouldn't expect it to be a priority anytime soon, though at least they would be compelled to say something about it. 

I get it: some don't like the feature. But, as I stated before, Spotify Connect, as near as I can tell from the comments here, is working as intended. Control any app, from anywhere, at any time, so long as they are signed into the same profile. There are only 3 users in the last 6 months and 30 comments on this thread who posted anything even remotely bug-like. Most simply say they don't like it, they think it's pointless, or don't use it and as such want it gone, are canceling their sub, etc. By all means, leave constructive feedback (not just "it sucks" but why you dislike it), but make sure to add Kudos to the Idea thread as well.

I have a feeling that the numbers are going to increase as they've rolled Connect out to more people. I never knew about the feature until Spotify hijacked my phone yesterday and I just got an email announcing it as a new feature about ten minutes ago.  

You're right, as a feature, it does work. What doesn't work is Spotify is forcing this feature down our throats without any way to opt out. I don't need a remote for my laptop when I'm working on my laptop. That's idiotic. So it's just a waste of battery to have Connect take over my phone. 

I just kill the Spotify process on my phone, as a "workaround" and then restart it as needed. 

Hi @roblarsen!

Sad to see that you don't like the new feature (I very like it). There is an idea available that needs your kudos and support.

Make Spotify Connect a choise

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Last.fm | Twitter

Backstage Intro - Meet Jordi!
What's it like to be in a Spotify Office?

Did I help? Please add a like!
Did I solve your issue? Please accept as the solution!

I would like it a lot more if I had some control over it other than killing the Spotify process. I have already posted in the idea. Thanks!

For any one interested, you can use this shell command to stop the app and services, until there is a better solution:

am force-stop com.spotify.music

I've set Tasker to execute it everytime I unplug my headphones and also everytime I execute an assistance request (the pull up Google Now ring thing).

Suggested posts