Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[UPDATED 13/02/15] [HTC M8 on T-Mobile] [HELP] Information request

Solved!

[UPDATED 13/02/15] [HTC M8 on T-Mobile] [HELP] Information request

UPDATE:- HTC & T-Mobile have released the Lollipop update (Android 5.0.1). Some users are reportig that they can now stream sucessfully after applying this update. If you are affeced and have not yet received the update please manually check for updates and apply if available.

There is an increasing number of reports that people using the HTC One M8 on T-Mobile in the US are having issues connecting to Spotify while on mobile data. This is caused by T-Mobile changing to using IPv6 as opposed to the usual IPv4.

Some people have reported success in creating a new APN and setting it as default (instructions below). While others report that this works temporarily, but after some time it defaults back to the original IPv6 supported APN.

If this affects you please can do the below:

1. Create a new APN (or modify your existing APN to: default,mms,supl,admin,hipri)

Spoiler
  • From any Home screen, tap Apps.
  • Tap Settings.
  • Tap Mobile data.
  • Touch Access Point Names.
  • If available, tap the T-Mobile Data (the bullet point fills with green). If not available, tap the Menu key, and then tap New APN
  • Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN:
    • Name: T-Mobile US LTE
    • APN: fast.t-mobile.com
    • Proxy: <Not set>
    • Port: <Not set>
    • Username: <Not set>
    • Password: <Not set>
    • Server: <Not set>
    • MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
    • MMS proxy: <Not set>
    • MMS port: <Not set>
    • MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
    • MCC: 310
    • MNC: 260
    • Authentication type: <Not set>
    • APN type: default,mms,supl,admin,hipri
    • APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6
    • APN roaming protocol: IPv4
    • Enable/disable APN: <greyed out unless there are multiple APN's>
    • Bearer: Unspecified
  • Tap the Menu key.
  • Tap Save.
  • Tap the APN profile you just created.
  • The bullet point fills with green next to the APN profile.

2. Ensure this APN is set as your default

3. Wait a couple of days

4. Please come back and complete the below linked form letting me know if you can still connect on mobile data or not. Please only report this for HTC One M8 issues, for all other devices please post in the topic: [Android] T-Mobile No Internet Connection

HTC One M8 connection issues reporting form

Whilst the most ideal scenario is for Spotify to enable IPv6 support, in the mean time we can at least identify the particular models affected by this and I believe that it may be the T-Mobile modified (CID) software that is reverting back to IPv6... and those that have had success I believe would be running a different 'unbranded' software version which hasn't gone through T-Mobile and therefore hasn't been modified by them.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

From what i've seen, it's forcing it back to the default APN because the settings of your custom APN are not correct.

Basically the settings on your custom APN need to mimic your factory default APN exactly except for the APN protocol, that just needs to be set to IPv4/IPv6. Save that and you should be able to switch to the new APN and it should stay connected to it.

I might suggest the steps be updated, all settings are correct except for the APN Type, for my it was "default,mms,supl,admin,hipri" without the quotes.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

33 Replies

Unfortunately it just goes back to the tmobile default apn. Any ideas on getting it to stay?

@Nikaloz wrote:
Unfortunately it just goes back to the tmobile default apn. Any ideas on getting it to stay?

I have a feeling that T-Mobile have done something to the software before they load it onto the phone enforcing the use of their APN. This is why I'm trying to collate the software versions. I can then see if the ones being reverted are on T-Mobile customised software and the ones that can change with success are on 'WWE' or other reseller software without T-Mobiles APN flag.

Android Troubleshooting:

You're most likely right about that. I may have for a work around for the time being. When you get the black screen on Spotify close Spotify, pull down your drop down menu and turn off the mobile data and then open spotify again. After your list populates turn the mobile data again. It has worked for me so far.

This entire problem is a joke. I've emailed Charlie Hellman - VP of Product, Chug Abram - Social Media Customer Service VP, and now finally Nicholas, VP of Spotify

I've pointed all of them towards this thread - Chug and Charlie haven't done ANYTHING since I reached out 5 weeks ago. 

Time to start making a big fuss if something doesn't come of this. BBB, Social Media, I don't care anymore. To be treated/ignored like this is incredibly irresponsible for a company like Spotify. I almost liken them to the Uber's of the music industry. Terrible morals, no real customer service, and incredibly cocky upper management who doesn't care about 1 or 2 users.

Not working for me on my M8 on T-Mobile either.  Creating a new APN doens't work as it reverts to the locked APN setting almost immediately.  Hope for a fix very soon as I (and I'm sure many others) pay for their service.

Yes, especially since we pay a service fee. This is definitely recent and needs to be addressed. Even when it does work sometime it says I am not connected. I believe these issues are related because the workaround I provided will give me a connection again. When it tells me I do not have a connection I can still search the net with no issues, it's only with spotify. Only when i turn off mobile data and open spotify does it fix the black screen issue.

I agree, there needs to be a way to fix this problem. They only way I see it is that Spotify need to support IPV6 ASAP. If we can't change the default APN then spotify needs to get IPV6 up and running so that we can actually use the app. I'm on the verge of unsubscribing because the app is so random on whether or not it will function.

I followed the steps yesterday and it worked, but it didn't today. I filled out the form.

I agree... Haven't went as far as you have but contacting spotify for any direct help is impossible.I've emailed them for help, with no reply. Rediculous to leave paying customers to deal with it themselves... Terrible service.. I would just leave and switch to Pandora if it wasn't for the fact I already have my playlists set up....
Marked as solution

From what i've seen, it's forcing it back to the default APN because the settings of your custom APN are not correct.

Basically the settings on your custom APN need to mimic your factory default APN exactly except for the APN protocol, that just needs to be set to IPv4/IPv6. Save that and you should be able to switch to the new APN and it should stay connected to it.

I might suggest the steps be updated, all settings are correct except for the APN Type, for my it was "default,mms,supl,admin,hipri" without the quotes.

Hope this helps!

Thanks ddkurowski!  The APN Type solution worked...at least for now.  I'll report back in a week or so to verify that the custom APN change has stuck.

Spotify has not worked for nearly two months on my One M8. I've called T-Mobile & HTC and no one has figured out how to get spotify to work. I've swapped sim cards, uninstalled, a number of restarts, I've tried to change the APN but its locked onto IPV6. This has been frustrating! 

When you get the black screen close Spotify. Drop down your menu turn off the the mobile data. Open spotify and see if it loads. If it does turn mobile data back on. Let me know.

did you basically put in the settings EXACTLY like it is on the default APN? as long as the settings are correct is should stay on the custom APN and run ipv4/ipv6

Thanks ddkurowski, changing the APN type allowed it to work.  I agree with your suggestion that the steps should be updated.

ddkurowski it seems to have worked fir me as well. doing it EXACTLY as the default APN makes it not default back. That includes spaces and everything. Might do the trick maan! Thanks!

@ddkurowski wrote:

Hope this helps!

Hi, I don;t have a T-Mobile US device so got the APN details directly from T-Mobile's site. Thanks for this info, I've updated my post now. So this is working for you is it?

Can you let me know all of your APN settings and also the software version you have on your phone? 3.x.x.x?

Android Troubleshooting:

I got this email yesterday - 

Around 12pm PST would work well for us if that's good for you too. Could you please send over the best number to call on at this time?

I spoke again to David from our Android team, he's been looking into this and has asked if we could gather a little extra information: Would you be able visit the website "test-ipv6.com" from the browser on your phone and make a note of the results?  Once you have those, could you install the "Ipv6 and More" app from Google Play, and send us a screen capture of the two tabs "My v6" and "Health"?

If you have trouble with any of this then don't worry, we can go through over the phone tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Sent the screen shots, but missed their call today as I was on a conference call. Supposed to talk to them tomorrow morning...

It's useless. I talked to them. They didn't do anything - wasted my time more than anything else.

Couldnt speak to why no one from upper mgmt was talking or communicating.

SUCH BULL.

Suggested posts