Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Verizon Galaxy Nexus, White Screen, Help?

Solved!

Verizon Galaxy Nexus, White Screen, Help?

Hello all,

I'm getting a completely white screen when I try to open up the spotify app.  The title bar will show up, and I can even click the "Menu" button on the title bar, not sure if that's what it is supposed to be called, but it's the one that opens the side menu, and it pushes the title bar to the side like it was opening the menu, but that is just white as well.

I've tried restarting multiple times, uninstalling and reinstalling many times. No dice.  I've tried to delete the com.spotify.whatever the rest of the file name is from the directory, but my device won't let me.

I am running BAMF's You Jelly Huh 1.5... If you need any more info please ask

(Yes i searched, couldn't find an answer)

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

well,  i just fixed my problem... i could not delete the Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui file... since i could not delete it, i finally renamed it. worked perfectly as soon as i reinstalled spotify.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Just an update,

Installed You Jelly 2.0, completely wiped everything.

installed spotify. same issue.

I am having the same issue. I don't know what to do either?

I have the Galaxy s

Any chance you could try on a non-custom ROM (I'm assuming that's what You Jelly is)?

Also, are you sure you are running the latest version from the Play Store? The preview app had this issue and I think it remained in the first official Play release, but the last update solved it for me
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Downloaded from play store, and You Jelly is a pretty much stock version of jellybean

bump, anyone have any ideas?

Yep, I'm going to suggest you try on a non-custom ROM again. Spotify doesn't officially support Jelly Bean yet, and asking for support on custom ROMs is going to be a step too far for Spotify support to be able to cope with.

I should be getting my Nexus7 this week so will test it, but apart from that you're the first person I think posting here about JB support
----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Well, count me as the second person then. I'm on a galaxy nexus running Jelly Bean. It was installed as an official, non-custom OTA update to my device, and now spotify will not work.

The issue here is not a custom ROM, and while the OPs rom, You Jelly, was not an OTA update, it was build from the same AOSP code as the official update, which also has this issue. Asking for support for Jelly Bean, now that it's out i the wild, and reaching devices through official channels is in no way a step to far.

make sure your USB is not plugged in or the phone cant read your SD card. just realized that, unplugged and works fine

That's actually not the problem, letsflyak. The problem is that the Spotify app appears to be broken on Jelly Bean. I can assure you that my USB is not plugged in. The phone itself, in fact, does not have an SD card. It has internal storage, which can act LIKE an SD card, but no SD card to mount/unmount.

You have mentioned that it is working fine for you. Might I ask what phone model you are using, and what version of Android is running on it?

I would also like to provide a general update, in that I have done some further testing with a number of Galaxy Nexus devices now, and can confirm that this appears to be an issue introduced with the latest version of Jelly Bean, 4.1.1

Galaxy Nexus devices running Jelly Bean 4.1 (the preview version that was on Galaxy Nexus deviced provided to developers attending this year's Google I/O event) do not exhibit this behavior, and can run Spotify correctly.

The specific details of my test were as follows:

4 Phones:

Galaxy Nexus 1 - GSM Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.1 (Preview version) - Spotify Worked

Galaxy Nexus 2 - Verizon Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.1 (Ported preview version, Vicious Toro V5 to be exact.) - Spotify Worked

Galaxy Nexus 3 - GSM Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.1.1 (OTA Update) - Spotify exhibited white screen issue.

Galaxy Nexus 4 - Verizon Galaxy Nexus running Android 4.1.1 (Built from AOSP [Android Open Source Project] which is the official version direct from Google) - Spotify exhibited white screen issue.

Admittedly, this is a somewhat small sample size, only 4 devices, however it is also likely double what most mobile QA departments keep on-hand for testing. My results should be able to be reproduced by your QA department, and it is in fact somewhat distressing that they have not been already.

Edit: I would also like to add, before any more dismisals about "custom ROMs" take place, that all tests were performed using code provided by Google, unmodified, except for in the case of Device #3, which was ported from the GSM Preview build to the CDMA Verizon device, however no other code changes were made. The issue there is rather a moot one anyway, as that version did not exhibit this bug.

All other devices were running unmodified Google code, and all 4 devices were using stock kernels.

Further disclaimer: Both Verizon devices were rooted, however on both devices the same root method was used, and the importance of this variable is discounted by the fact that one rooted device worked, while the other did not. Additional testing was performed on both GSM devices in both a rooted and unrooted state, in the interest of accounting for for as many variables as possible, and was not found to modify the test results in any way.

Marked as solution

well,  i just fixed my problem... i could not delete the Android/data/com.spotify.mobile.android.ui file... since i could not delete it, i finally renamed it. worked perfectly as soon as i reinstalled spotify.

Thank you for the idea of deleting the directory (or at least renaming it). Also worked perfect for me up to now.

You have to have an SD card installed for it to work.  I had the same problem!

Im using the old Samsung galaxy epic 4g o/s gingerbread and I'm just now getting the white screen when I try to run spotify what can I do to fix

what i did to uninstall/reinstall was try to delete everything you can from the file directory, and what  you cannot delete, rename the containing folder to something else. 

this needs to be done by someone with a little experience, so you don't mess up your file structure of your whole phone. i beleive i used a program called OI File Manager

I am having a issue with it on my nook hd all of a sudden quit playing songs now all it is is a white screen. Any ideas?

Since 2 days ago my Spotify on my Samsung Galaxy mini has been showing a white screen too. I find that turning my phone off and on seems to resolve the issue temporarily, and spotify is fine whilst I'm using it BUT if I have not used it for a while and then go into it, I get the white screen. Considering I pay £10 a month for this service I would appreciate a solution to this annoying problem as turning my phone off and on everytime I want to use Spotify is going to get annoying and I do not know if this will even work everytime. Tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Spotify and I have even deleted some of my music to create more space, but this hasn't helped either....

Suggested posts